James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The supplemental preliminary inquiry and line of duty determination regarding injuries and the deaths of seven sailors aboard USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) on or about 17 June 2017 has been released.

This only concerns the injuries to personnel, damage to the ship, and the damage control efforts by the crew after the collision. The events leading up to, and the causes of, the collision aren't covered.

Some items in this report have been redacted. From context they concern the health records (details of injuries) of living persons, and the location and capabilities of certain classified systems on board the ship.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The captain, second-in-command and top enlisted NCO have all been relieved of duty on that ship, and for all intents and purposes, their naval careers are over. I believe there have been disciplinary actions taken against other seamen as well. This was about the worst dereliction of duty naval incident in my lifetime that I can recall. Complete incompetence on the part of every person having command and watch duty responsibility that night.

caw

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm awaiting with interest the reports on other aspects of this event.

At the very minimum, I have to ask what the Officer of the Deck, Junior Officer of the Deck, Quartermaster of the Watch, Boatswain of the Watch, Duty Signalman, Combat Information Center Watch Officer, and Starboard Lookout were all doing. Playing hopscotch? Doing Sudoku? Drunk? Asleep?

Meanwhile, it seems as if the Damage Control Assistant and Damage Control Chief did very well, and the sailors in that berthing compartment did all, and more, that could have been expected of them.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously?!

The USS John McCain (DD 56) has been reported to have collided with a merchant vessel in the Straits of Malacca.

And the Navy thought my sight was too bad to serve?