USS Indianapolis Found

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
She was sunk July 30, 1945 after delivering the Little Boy bomb to Tinian. She was on her way to Leyte in the Philippines when she was hit by two torpedos. The ship sank in 12 minutes, and there was no time to send a distress call. Because of the secrecy of the mission, Indianapolis wasn't reported overdue for a week.

Some 800 of the 1200-member crew survived the sinking.

Sharks killed almost 500 of them over the next few days. They were found during a routine patrol mission by a Navy plane. When the first rescue plane landed, the pilot realized what and who he had found, and started letting the sailors climb on the wings and fuselage to get out of the water. That PBY was eventually scrapped, I think.

A mission by Paul Allen pinpointed her location today.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quite a piece of history to finally be found

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Captain Quint describing the Indianapolis tragedy in JAWS is still one of the more chilling pieces of history-delivered-by-movie I've ever experienced (not the least because it was followed immediately by an attack, setting the horror solidly in my impressionable brain).

Mr. Allen is using his billions in all kinds of terrific ways, notably in ocean health and recovery, including participation in a unique shark-counting venture. There's a certain symmetry to the fact that he's part of locating the Indianapolis.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
That's where I first heard it, too. At first you think it's an event made up for the movie, then you look it up (pre-Google) and it hits you: this was real. :Wha: Probably the best-known memorial those poor men had.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I heard on another board that Mr. Allen's expedition contacted the survivors with the information before they went public with it.