R.I.P. Dick Gregory

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh! Ouch!

May what he stood for live forever.

Thanks for letting us know. We'll chant for him.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Dick Gregory was a truth-teller; he held up a mirror for us to truly see ourselves. Made us uncomfortable and we needed him for far longer than 84 years.

RIP, sir.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dick Gregory flies low on the comedy radar of most Americans. He didn't do a comedy TV show. His stand-up routine didn't get a lot of face time on Carson, Letterman or Leno. Gregory was present at the creation of what we know as the modern, edgy, irreverent and in-your-face comedian today. No Dick Gregory means no George Carlin, no Bill Hicks and certainly no Richard Pryor.

Gregory's first book was entitled Nigger. You can't get much more in someone's face than that.

I once interviewed author/comedian/activist Dick Gregory, who passed away yesterday at age 84, and can say that it took only a minute or two to know, or to be reminded, that I was talking with a stone cold genius — and a misunderstood one at that.

His angle on almost every subject was completely original, his wit was fresh and irreverent and his ability to reach back into memory about his participation in iconic historical events was breathtaking. (For example, in making a linguistic point, he casually recounted a story about how he and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. faced down the notorious Al Lingo of the Alabama National Guard in ‘63.)

And politically correct he was not. When I spoke with him, he launched into a passionate defense of the word “nigger,” which he has put in the title of at least two of his books.

In my interview, which I conducted one-on-one on September 8, 2005, he used the word thirteen times! But not for shock value, Rather, he used it to make penetrating and subtle points about erasing history and about that relatively recently-invented euphemism, “the n-word.”

And his defense of the word is novel and persuasive. First, he notes that the “n-word” and “nigger” are two separate words with completely different etymologies and origins. The “n-word” he claims, was born in the mid-1990s, during the first O.J. Simpson trial. “Nigger,” of course, has been around for centuries.

“The word is nigger, nigger, nigger,” said Gregory in the interview. “And if that bothers any of you black folks, then you need to go pray, cause there’s some nigger down inside of you. Because if I say, ‘All you ho’s in this room, stand up.’ Anybody [who] gets upset is a ho, ‘cause I didn’t call your name.”

Gregory then took pains to distinguish the “n-word” from “nigger.” “The ‘n-word’ is an insult,” said Gregory. “...When white America invented the ‘n-word,’ it was during the O.J. Simpson trial. And they changed [nigger] to the n-word. Can you imagine the Germans, when they got so upset with Hitler and what the Nazis did to the Jews, they changed the word swastika to the s-word and concentration camp to the c-word?”

D.G. kept it 100. All the time. He didn't sell out. He doubled down and he did with an unapologetic pro-Black position that saturated his humor. Gregory deftly mixed comedy with activism, which means Gregory was an acquired taste like snails or pigs feet. He wasn't for every taste and never presented him as being that guy. I found Gregory's didactic tendencies would at time suck all the life out a joke, but hell, didn't I just say the brother was an acquired taste?

R.I.P. :Thumbs:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I might have seen him briefly on TV, but the first time I really 'heard' him was when I bought a second-hand copy of 'From the Back of the Bus'. It was a whole new perspective.
RIP, sir and thank you.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite Dick Gregory story was one I heard him tell many years ago (might have been on Dick Cavett's old show, but I'm not sure). It had to do with his early activist career, doing a sit-in at a whites-only diner somewhere in the South. He went to the counter and ordered fried chicken. When the chicken arrived, a white guy came up to him and said, "Nigger, whatever you do to that chicken, I'm gonna do to you."

Gregory said he then kissed the chicken.

caw

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
RIP to him. I enjoyed his teachings on chemtrails.