I don't want to self-publish, but I don't want to work with one of the really big publishers either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I know they're real things, but I'm also aware that some authors get confused by the meanings of the terms and end up receiving far less in royalties than they were expecting, seeing as most authors don't know much about accounting terminology.

Yeah, no. "Gross" and "Net" are super basic terms that people learn in grade school, and anyone who's filed taxes, or applied for public benefits (healthcare, FAFSA, free school lunches for their children, etc.), or even just given their paycheck a close look, will know what they are.

Have you considered querying agents first? They will have the information you're looking for here, on who to submit to, and they'll be able to interpret contracts for you.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Iconian, you've gotten some really bad and biased information. Agents, publishers, etc are - of course - in this business to make a profit, but they only make that profit if the books they buy / represent make money. They have nothing but incentive to do their best, even if sometimes things fall through the cracks.

They're also in this business because they love books, writers and storytelling.

From the business side of things, a publisher will always try to make the best deal they can, which is where the agent comes in. the agent will take the offered deal and restructure it so that it's more advantageous to their client (and through that client, it's more advantageous to the agent).

Any contract terms that you're confused about, ask your agent. They'll explain them. ALWAYS read your contracts. Even contracts presented in good faith can have mistakes that can be costly. My first one left off some numbers that altered the pay scale by factors of ten. It was a mistake (the written-word versions of those numbers was correct, but not the numerical representation), and it was fixed in a matter of minutes, but it's always worth reading what you're signing.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
There is surely something slightly presumptuous about assuming a big publisher would want to work with you... possibly that's just me?

agree with others--get an agent and discuss with them. Plenty of small presses around.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of general "Big Publishing is holding us down" sentiment around from newcomers lately. It might just be a coincidence among the online writerly places I visit. But I'm wondering if a well known author mentioned something along these lines recently that then made its rounds, getting spun and taken as gospel along the way. That seems to happen now and then with various writing-related topics.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me at least, to claim 'Big publishing is holding me down' seems a pretty dumb thing to say. Established trade publishers make their money from publishing. What would they (or Agents who channel works to them) stand to gain by deliberately closing the door on me or other potential authors of the future?

Could it be that the continuing growth of the internet allows more and more folk to believe, for whatever reason, we have written a novel to what we think is a standard that should be immediately accepted by an Agent and/or an established trade publisher?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm not yet trade published for a variety of reasons- not one of which has anything to do with Agents or 'Big' Publishers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Iconian, it's clear to me that you've been reading a lot of stuff which is flat-out wrong, and you don't understand the various things you're considering, either (as has already been pointed out you're trying to compare apples with oranges on the royalty rates, for example).

You might find this post very useful:

[h=3][Self-Publishing] J. A. Konrath's Bedtime Story: A Rebuttal[/h]
It's written by someone who is a very successful, knowledgeable trade publishing editor.

If you want to know more about trade publishing read books and articles written by people who have worked in trade publishing for years and who know what they're talking about, rather than blog posts written by self publishing evangelists who are agenda-driven. Or look at authors who are being marketed well by their publishers (Joanna Cannon is a great example here: her debut novel sold very well, was really good, AND she's an absolute sweetheart). There's so much good stuff for you to read which you can rely on: why bother with pieces written by people who have massive chips on their shoulders?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Iconian

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, thank you to all have replied again. A lot was written here since I last checked this thread, but Helix, thank you for the publishers you mentioned. I'll be checking them out soon. And Old Hack, thank you for that link to HapiSofi's rebuttal. I'll return to that in a minute.

But first, I want to say that I'm pretty well baffled at how there's been so much hostility toward the very idea of creating a list of better of publishers. I'd never have guessed that there'd be so much resistance to the idea. There's that "Two Thumbs Down" thread. How could anyone think something like a "Two Thumbs Up" thread could be a bad thing?

Agents
Now then, I will talk a little about my own situation, since people keep bringing it up. I've actually contacted around a couple dozen agents in the last two months about my book. So far there hasn't been too much interest. I think part of that might be my query letter, but I recently rewrote it and I now think it sizzles. I'll probably get in touch with some more agents in the future.

Nonetheless, it got me thinking about whether it's really so necessary to have an agent, for one. If it's really worthwhile, then yes, I'd like to find an agent. Admittedly I could be wrong, but much of what I've read lately (the stuff that I already linked to, as well as some other various stuff) points to the publishing industry being so entrenched with its current practices that there's often not a lot in the way of negotiation allowed on contract clauses, royalties etc. So, yes, the agents are allowed to negotiate some changes, but mostly within fairly narrow parameters. I'm probably not going to find too many publishers that normally offer 10-15% royalties that would be willing to give me a rate of 40 or 50% or higher royalties, for example. (But if any of you know about exceptions, I'd love to hear about them.)

I'm going to continue to look for an agent. I haven't given up. But if I can find a great publisher out there without needing an agent, and help a bunch of other authors do so as well with this sort of thread, why is that a bad thing?

Anyway, I don't believe having an agent is inherently necessary to the process of publishing. But yes, I suppose there probably are some publishers out there that will only accept submissions through agents. So then, I suppose I'm also interested in finding good agents that are out there. This thread is meant for good publishers though, not agents. But if anyone knows of somewhere I can find a list of really good agents, I'd be interested in seeing that too. But I haven't seen anything like that on AW thus far.

Konrath
Now, as to the link you shared, Old Hack. I found that very interesting. I read HapiSofi's post, as well as Konrath's Bedtime Story. Probably the single thing that stuck out the most to me was that Konrath built his audience via Hyperion. I definitely think that most new authors would have a very tough time building an audience without a publisher behind them that can reach that audience--and that's a big part of why I want to get a publisher, rather than self-publish. Unfortunately, it may be that Konrath doesn't recognize the benefit of having had a publisher in the beginning.

On the other side, HapiSofi said regarding Konrath, "In the past, the publicity was all about his books. Now it's all about him -- and, as he's going to find out, he's a finite subject." I don't know how Konrath has marketed himself or his books since the rebuttal on May 13, 2011, but I did look at about half a dozen of the books he's published on Amazon since then. All of them had Amazon rankings in the hundreds, thousands, or ten thousands. I've looked at the Amazon rankings of quite a few books over the last few months, and most I've seen have rankings closer to 1,000,000. So I really don't think Konrath has made a "hash" of his career, as HapiSofi seemed to think. He still seems to be going strong, his books still selling quite a few copies. And of course that's just through Amazon. I expect he has even more sales through his website.

Anyway, Old Hack, I think it's key to get lots of information from different sources on this sort of thing, rather than relying on just one source. I'll look into Joanna Cannon, for one.

And I suppose Konrath probably has an agenda, as you said. I suppose he wants to justify his own choices, the course he's taken as an author. But right now that course does look pretty good to me, and I suspect that even more than justifying himself, he probably wants to help authors get published fairly, and in a manner in which they make a lot more money than many would if they were to focus solely on publishing through publishing companies. As I think about it, I suppose there are probably some self-published authors out there that would have had more success if they had instead gone through publishers to get their work out. But there are also probably those authors published by publishers that would have been more successful had they self-published. I think a lot of it comes down to the specific situation the author is in, what their book is like, and how well that meshes up with different publishers.

But I also think there are going to be some publishers out there that just stand out from the rest. I'm happy to continue looking for a good agent, but with this thread I'm also starting to look at the option of cutting out the agents.

Right now, I think that my original presentation of this thread could be to blame for there being so few people contributing the names. I think I'll split the thread up to focus more on my original intention.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
But first, I want to say that I'm pretty well baffled at how there's been so much hostility toward the very idea of creating a list of better of publishers. I'd never have guessed that there'd be so much resistance to the idea. There's that "Two Thumbs Down" thread. How could anyone think something like a "Two Thumbs Up" thread could be a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing, it's just not as helpful as you seem to think it might be.

To make an extreme example, an imprint which publishes romance might be a great imprint for a writer who has written a romance, but it would not be a good publisher for a writer who only writes SF/F. So we can put together lists of all sorts of publishers and imprints which do a good job but without context, that list would be meaningless.

Agents
Now then, I will talk a little about my own situation, since people keep bringing it up. I've actually contacted around a couple dozen agents in the last two months about my book. So far there hasn't been too much interest. I think part of that might be my query letter, but I recently rewrote it and I now think it sizzles. I'll probably get in touch with some more agents in the future.

Nonetheless, it got me thinking about whether it's really so necessary to have an agent, for one. If it's really worthwhile, then yes, I'd like to find an agent.

Writers with agents routinely get significantly higher advances and better contracts than writers without agents. They also tend to have better marketing commitments from their publishers.

Good agents sell foreign and subsidiary rights for their clients, and few self-published or unrepresented authors can reach these markets. These sales are not typically highly lucrative taken one at a time but when combined will often far outweigh the income from home sales.

Agents will also ensure publishers stick to their contracts and pay appropriately and on time. And they'll provide legal support to their authors at no charge on the odd occasion it's required.

Admittedly I could be wrong, but much of what I've read lately (the stuff that I already linked to, as well as some other various stuff) points to the publishing industry being so entrenched with its current practices that there's often not a lot in the way of negotiation allowed on contract clauses, royalties etc. So, yes, the agents are allowed to negotiate some changes, but mostly within fairly narrow parameters. I'm probably not going to find too many publishers that normally offer 10-15% royalties that would be willing to give me a rate of 40 or 50% or higher royalties, for example. (But if any of you know about exceptions, I'd love to hear about them.)

Some publishers pay 10-15%. Others pay 40-50%. But they are not paying those royalties on the same basis so you cannot compare the two easily.

Lower royalty rates are usual on print copies, higher on digital editions.

Lower royalty rates are usually calculated against cover price, higher on net.

If you find a publisher which promises a higher rate based on cover price of a print edition you are dealing with an incompetent or scam publisher. There's just not the margin available to pay such royalties once you factor in the costs of publishing.

Konrath
Now, as to the link you shared, Old Hack. I found that very interesting. I read HapiSofi's post, as well as Konrath's Bedtime Story. Probably the single thing that stuck out the most to me was that Konrath built his audience via Hyperion. I definitely think that most new authors would have a very tough time building an audience without a publisher behind them that can reach that audience--and that's a big part of why I want to get a publisher, rather than self-publish. Unfortunately, it may be that Konrath doesn't recognize the benefit of having had a publisher in the beginning.

On the other side, HapiSofi said regarding Konrath, "In the past, the publicity was all about his books. Now it's all about him -- and, as he's going to find out, he's a finite subject." I don't know how Konrath has marketed himself or his books since the rebuttal on May 13, 2011, but I did look at about half a dozen of the books he's published on Amazon since then. All of them had Amazon rankings in the hundreds, thousands, or ten thousands. I've looked at the Amazon rankings of quite a few books over the last few months, and most I've seen have rankings closer to 1,000,000. So I really don't think Konrath has made a "hash" of his career, as HapiSofi seemed to think. He still seems to be going strong, his books still selling quite a few copies. And of course that's just through Amazon. I expect he has even more sales through his website.

He hasn't made a hash of his career at all. But he's not built it through selling his books, he's built it through selling self-publishing hype, and with the market as it is, the time for that is now past. It's not something other people are going to be able to do so much now.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
A couple dozen agents isn't very many.

Qlh may have a different opinion in your query letter than you do--lots of letters I see touted as good or even great in other groups routinely aren't. (Mine, for the record, is terrible.) I would wait and run it through there before sending it out again; I have a strong suspicion your query is too long and/or has too much info in it.

Last edited:

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Iconian,

I get the impression that you've started out with the best of intentions, but maybe have picked up a few misconceptions along the way. I don't think that's surprising. There's so much information online and so much of it is confusing or contradictory or incomplete. I won't pretend to know my way around self-publishing, but I absolutely accept that there are some people who make a very good living from it. However I will choose trade publishing for as long as I can, unless things change, and this is why:

1. Self-publishing well requires a significant investment of time and money and I can't afford either. I have a day job and kids, and every other minute I can squeeze out of the day goes to writing. As for investing money in it, that's not an option for me. Writing has to earn me an income, and with a young family we can't really afford to invest in something that we can't really be sure will generate a return.

2. Self-publishing depends on platforms that I can't control, and these platforms (as far as I know) change their algorithms without notice. I have a trade published friend who self-published one of her novels well last year. Using Facebook ads she invested in the tens of thousands and made it back and the same again in profit. However after that sales fell dramatically due to algorithm changes. She hasn't had time to keep up with changing technology and for now has taken no further self-publishing steps.

3. The best traditional publishers provide awesome editors, cover-designers, and best of all, outstanding distribution networks that no self-publisher can hope to rival, at least as far as the physical book goes. They will also pay a very healthy advance. For me, distribution is king. My publishers can get my books on all the major e-book platforms but also into bookshops everywhere. They have the resources to market my books, getting me interview opportunities (online and traditional media), they're paying for advertising, and they're getting me prominent bookshop placement. For what it's worth my first novel will be published next year by four of the big five publishers in different territories.

I know that there are a lot of scary stories about there about shitty contracts. I'm not saying shitty contracts don't exist but mine are fair and reasonable (as a lawyer with 13 years experience at my back I hope I would know the difference). The individuals I have dealt with at the various publishing houses have also been a joy to deal with. I'm not exaggerating. They have been the warmest, most helpful, genuinely encouraging and happy for me bunch of professionals I could ever have the pleasure of meeting. Working with them has been one of the deep joys of this whole journey.

There's so much negativity out there about trad publishing, so I just wanted to give the other side of the picture. If anyone thinks I'm bs'ing, please feel free to PM me and I'll give you my real name.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

More than one post in this thread has provided reasons why such a list isn't as helpful as you seem to think it would be, so I'm pretty well baffled as to why you haven't responded to those. I don't know if our considered reasons are what you consider "hostility", but here are a few of the questions I would have to ask someone who was bent on creating such a list :

Does it include the Big Five publishers and small presses?
If it includes the Big Five (and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, because those would be the best publishers for a lot of writers), should their e-publishing arms/imprints which take unagented manuscripts be considered separately for inclusion in the list?
Small presses, even the most reputable ones, can go out of business. Will the list take the factor of their stability into consideration? How will it do so?
If a small press is digital-first or digital-only, would it get on the list? Why or why not?
What would qualify a small press for inclusion in the list? If it's sales figures, a press which specializes in romance might outsell a press which specializes in literary fiction, but the latter would be better for someone who writes literary fiction. So will the list specify what presses specialize in?

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
What Marian said--there are no "ten best publisher" lists here because a publisher that might work out well for one book or author won't necessarily do well for a different book or author. Publishers aren't one-size-fits-all. And even within, say, romance publishers or SFF publishers, it would be almost impossible to come up with a best publisher list. Books aren't widgets; every publishing experience is different because every book is different.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
A couple of points:

First, everything you say you want in a publisher seems to point to an imprint of one of the Big Five (great distribution, outstanding marketing, overseas reach, etc.), but you also say explicitly that you don't want to publish with the Big Five. That leaves me, anyway, at a loss as to what to recommend.

Second, suppose such a thread existed. Suppose it was wildly successful and ran for years, running to hundreds of pages (at 25 posts/page). What you'll have succeeded in creating is a small version of BR&BC, only less organized, where the author seeking a publisher has to read through the equivalent of thousands of manuscript pages to (maybe) find the information they're after.

So perhaps those are a couple of reasons why folks seem to be resisting the idea.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
I'm probably not going to find too many publishers that normally offer 10-15% royalties that would be willing to give me a rate of 40 or 50% or higher royalties, for example. (But if any of you know about exceptions, I'd love to hear about them.)

Your right, you will not find any good publisher that will ever consider that kind of royalty. I'm not sure JK herself could get that:)
Business overhead, editors, art directors, designers, marketing and sales people, office staff, building rent, phones, advances, printing, etc., etc., and don't forget the stores take 40% + of cover price off the top. Then they need to make a profit. Their making a profit is to your advantage. All publishers who have paid 10k and more to launch a book (and in the case of pic books it can easily soar to $60k depending on the Illustrator, will market that book, no way do they just throw money up into the air and see where it may fall:)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The ten best children's book publishers lined up in a list wouldn't do a bit of good to someone who's written an amazing psychological thriller. The ten best romance publishers lined up in a list wouldn't do a bit of good to someone who's written an amazing cozy mystery. The ten best sci-fi publishers lined up in a list wouldn't do a bit of good to someone who's written an amazing cookbook.

Get it? That's why it doesn't work. There are too many variables.

Then ten worst publishers are the worst across the board. You wouldn't want to send them anything, regardless of genre and target audience.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'm probably not going to find too many publishers that normally offer 10-15% royalties that would be willing to give me a rate of 40 or 50% or higher royalties, for example. (But if any of you know about exceptions, I'd love to hear about them.)

People keep telling you this, but maybe this time you'll pay attention: Publishers that pay 10-15% royalties base those numbers of the cover price, not net. If you find a publisher advertising 50% royalties, it will be on net. (And what that means depends on the contract.)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Also, any given decent publisher may well be a fantastic choice for one author and not so much for another because there's a lot of variables that go into "best publisher."

No publisher is perfect. Heck, I've had widely different experiences between books at the same publisher.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Something that perhaps should be emphasized, as it seems to be a trap a lot of newer writers fall into: the actual royalty rate doesn't directly determine profit for the author.

JK Rowling doesn't need a 50% royalty rate because she'll make a mint from various rights sales and she'll sell hundreds of thousands of copies. Selling well at 10 or 15% is much preferable to not selling as well at 50%.

10% of $1000 is better than 50% for $100.

So going with the larger publisher, which has better reach and is likely to still be in business next Tuesday, gives you a much firmer foundation to work from. If you re-read HapiSofi's Konrath post, the key info isn't the how or what of Konrath's gripes, it's the way he was able to build an audience over multiple books, building reader loyalty so that once he set out on his own he had more success than the average.

I've got nothing against small publishing houses. I have several excellent ones near where I live and they deserve a lot of praise. Good small houses know they can't sell at the same scale as the Big Five, so they choose titles that fit a very particular readership they've developed and work to produce really, really good books.

Example: Gaspereau Press, which published Johanna Skibsrud's (sp?) The Sentimentalists, has its own printing press and still does hand-binding. They produce incredible books. The Sentimentalists won the Giller (big prize in Canada) and Gaspereau ended up arranging a deal with a larger publisher to print more widely for demand. This is not an uncommon arrangement for small operations. Gaspereau is still a great place to be published, for the right book and the right author.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Second, suppose such a thread existed. Suppose it was wildly successful and ran for years, running to hundreds of pages (at 25 posts/page). What you'll have succeeded in creating is a small version of BR&BC, only less organized, where the author seeking a publisher has to read through the equivalent of thousands of manuscript pages to (maybe) find the information they're after.

So perhaps those are a couple of reasons why folks seem to be resisting the idea.
Yep, this right here.

OP, I can't tell you how grateful I was when I discovered AW's BR&BC section. All those agency and publisher threads alphabetized and organized by date. It was like finding a compass after trying to navigate a cruise ship using nothing but the stars.

What you're essentially doing is asking other people to do your work for you. Researching markets and agents and publishers is part of the job. If you're having trouble figuring out where to begin, I'd suggest starting with books comparable to your own. Who published them? Who represents those authors? Start there. Make a spreadsheet of agents you think might be interested in your book. Include submission info, genres they rep, email addresses, links to their submission guidelines, notes about response times and other interesting tidbits, like "hates zombies" or "mentioned magical realism in a MSWL tweet on 8/12." Do the same for publishers that accept unagented submissions.

My own spreadsheet is about sixty-five agents deep at the moment. Anytime I see an agent or agency I haven't heard of mentioned on Twitter or AW, I check it out to see if there might be someone there who accepts my genre. If there is, I vet them. If they pass, I add them to the sheet. Likewise, if I come across some troubling information about an agent on my list, I'll either flag or remove them. It's a living, breathing, constantly changing document. And it's my job to keep it up to date. No one can do this work for you, and certainly not for free.

It sounds like you've been going at this full speed ahead, trying to amass as much information about publishing as you can so that you can make the right decision. I get it. There's a lot to learn. But I think your best bet is to slow down. Accept that you don't know as much about this big, intricate, behind-the-scenes industry as you thought. Listen to the people with more experience who are trying to help you. Stop posting walls of text recapping your Google searches and spend some time processing what people are saying. You aren't going to learn all there is to know about publishing from one or even three blog posts. So ask questions (and asking people to do your job isn't the same as asking questions).

This forum is chock full of useful information and members who want to see you succeed. Start from a place of humility. It's okay to throw your hands up and say, "This is overwhelming, please help."

Iconian

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. However, I must respectfully disagree with much that has been said here. Prior to starting any threads here I had already processed many of the ideas and opinions that you have all presented. I fear you have not processed what I presented, particularly the web links, and if you have, you have viewed the information to be of lesser value. But I believe that the industry is changing, and things no longer work as they once did, so that in fact it is your older information which is of lesser value. I believe that it's time for authors to expect more of their publishers.

Nonetheless, I can clearly see, between the forcible suppression of my other thread and the overall negativity that has been on display here, that it is clearly no longer worth my time to continue pursuing this matter, on Absolute Write, at this time. Again, thank you all for your opinions.

Respectfully,
Iconian

Status
Not open for further replies.