• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Editing stage! Any good tips?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
That One-Pass MS Revision method is difficult! I'm going to have to do multiple. I'm still rewriting big chunks of earlier chapters...

What I've found as I edit:
First Draft: Just get the words on the page! It doesn't matter if it's crap!
Editing: Time to clean up this crap and try to make it into something resembling a MS...

I've always seen the appeal of Holly Lisle's method and some people swear by it but I can't do it either. Way too much at once. I've done lots of one-pas editing in journalism and it is always, always, always better when there's more time to play around with some different options.

You can have as many drafts as you want. Some people write very clean first drafts but then blow the whole thing up. Some people do ten drafts. Some people do two drafts but rewrite the whole book beginning to end. Editing/revision really is an art (really two separate arts but let's not sweat the details) so whatever way gets you to what you actually want to have is the way to go, IMHO.

All right. I need to stop procrastinating. I just came to AW because I was half-dead from riding the subway in NYC in 80-degree weather.

Ugh. Have only ever been in NY in the spring and only ever in the part of the spring when it's still pretty cold so as much as I love the NY subway system, have never had to ride it when it's humid and hot. Last time I was there I did get stuck for 45 mins in Queens for a track malfunction, but I felt like that was all part of the experience :greenie.