Starting over here . . .

Anita M Shaw

Creating new worlds since 1954
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwNovelsByNeenah.com
Hi everyone!

I used to be a member here back in 2007 or before, but got lost in life and other places. Found an old post from 2007 in my mailbox from back then, and followed it back here. That thread is long gone, and I couldn't find me anywhere, so I signed back up.

Happy to see lots of activity here, as the other sites I used to visit are not so much anymore, and my questions and comments are just sitting there lonely.

I'm an author of stories for ages tot to teen under my own name, and sweet contemporary romance under my pen, Neenah Davis-Wilson. I have one kids' novel, two romances, three short stories, and a recipe book available as ebooks on Amazon, iBooks, Barnes and Noble, and other places here and abroad. The recipe book is only on Amazon right now. I'm slowly getting others finished, and have made some progress in getting the first ones ready for print through Createspace. Oh, and a traditionally published thriller I did with a co-author. Was published through a small press who didn't follow through on what was promised. Long sad story that - and it's why I finally decided to give doing it myself a try. While I haven't made a fortune at it, and am not selling consistently in any genre, I have made more than I made on that first book . . . which was nothing. The only royalty check I saw for that - $250 - had to go to my partner who footed the expense of the "edits" of our book. Honestly, my missed mistakes and typos were better than those so called edits by their "expert". $4000 he spent for garbage! The book was his baby, I wrote it from his extensive notes, so he called all the shots. I tried to dissuade him from going with this outfit, but--yeah . . . Was a learning experience for the both of us, that's for sure!

Due to some stuff that happened since I first was here, I've lost some of my motivation for writing, and all these other stories waiting in the wings should have been finished by now. Trying to climb out of the fog of depression to get back into it. Not having a private work space doesn't help for the distractions are unending it seems. Still, I shall persist and one day, I'll finish those others! I have young adult stories to finish, a time travel for middle grade kids, a picture book, and a couple of romances. Well, more of those, but two especially. I have also finished what I call a video book, or vid-book, for preschoolers called Babies & Toddlers & Other Little Ones which I uploaded to YouTube recently. I'd like to do more of them as well, but I think I need to be triplets in order to finish all my projects!

Well, that's the short version of my history! I'll stop there so I don't bore anyone, and I'll go read some stuff here. I hope to visit often and look forward to meeting everyone again.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Anita M Shaw

Creating new worlds since 1954
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwNovelsByNeenah.com
Hi regdog

I have already read the stickies, and I rarely if ever updoad photos of family. I have uploaded stuff like my covers for feedback, but usually just post a link to my site for people to follow if they so choose. I'm a timid poster when it comes to touting my work. I don't, and that's probably why sales are low. Lol! Just not a savvy promoter or marketer. If they get read, yay! If not . . . well . . . the story's out of my head at least! I generally do more reading of others' work than posting of mine.

Looking forward to doing some reading! :)

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm locking this while I attempt to locate the previous account.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reopening so Anita can be welcomed back

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Anita. Welcome again! :)

Last edited:

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I know all about starting over. My account dates back to 2006. But I only remembered about it a few weeks ago when I ran into a writer at WesterCon who recommended the site to me and said I should re-up my account.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Anita.

Wow. I'm in awe. Your post didn't bore me. All of your finished novels or short picture books, in different genres, sounded impressive to me because that's what I was planning to do, myself. It sounds like you were very busy and productive, writing all of these things during the time you were away from this forum!

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
Ahoy Anita!!

As novicewriter stated...I am in awe! I play at writing telling my stories to myself more often than putting word on paper (or to text as it were). You may have needed a break after all you have shared already, but I am sure that when you get your second wind there will be no stopping you. I hope to find you here whenever I pop in.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Hey there! Welcome back!

You know, from what it sounds like you've learned and experienced a lot since your days of higher writing activity. Perhaps you should view it as picking up where you left off rather than starting over :D

You have support here.