Steve Bannon Sleeps With the Fishes

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there's not much reason to celebrate here. Bannon remains a voice Trump will hear and listen to, even without being in the White House. Methinks Bannon was happy to leave, and he's now right back to his comfort zone at Breitbart.

caw

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Getting rid of Bannon might be the move that allows Chief of Staff Kelly to control the White House people and ending most of the "Palace Intrigue" - leaving only Trump himself as the loose cannon.

Jerry

Registered
Reaction score
You can kick the Nazi out of the White House, but you can't kick the White House out of the Nazi...or something like that. Regardless...America is in for a rough ride, and not just because of the Neo-Nazi movement. The evangelical christians who threw their lord and savior under the bus so they could create a quasi-fascist theocracy in the USA seem to be more prevalent than ever.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Here's something to think about.

Bannon got security briefings from various agencies. Very internal stuff.
People will take him seriously when he spreads fake news from now on.
Simply because for a while he was a government insider.

Scary? You bet.

-cb

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I thought it was "Fish & Ship" to go with the thread title, but heh...

-cb

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Getting rid of Bannon might be the move that allows Chief of Staff Kelly to control the White House people and ending most of the "Palace Intrigue" - leaving only Trump himself as the loose cannon.

Most of the "Palace Intrigue" comes directly from Trump himself, with his breathtaking ability to say one thing one day, another contradictory thing the next, and mix both with blatherings that are pure nonsense. Sean Spicer, as just one for instance, spente the entirety of his miserable term as Press Secretary trying to parse and make palatable something Trump had said or tweeted. He was awful at it, which meant that Kellyanne Conway often had to parse and make palatable something Spicer said. She was even worse at it (remember the "alternative facts"?). Yogi Berra could have done better.

Yogi probably would be a better President, too.

caw

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Yogi Berra could have done better.

Yogi probably would be a better President, too.

caw

Heck, Yogi Bear probably would be a better President... Sure, he may be beholden to the pic-a-nic basket industry, and Boo-Boo may have a disproportionate influence on policy, but he'd be less likely to sell off the national parks to the highest bidder.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Now back at Breitbart, Bannon has declared "war" (he's used that very word) on anybody who opposes his ideas. He's said he'll crush anyone who disagrees with him. That is the tactic of a pure authoritarian. Bannon isn't even remotely interested in arguing a case and trying to persuade people to his views. He's interested in domination, by whatever means necessary. And that ethos permeates the Alt-Right universe.

caw

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I just hope people don't make the mistake of thinking any of the problems left with Bannon. Someone like that doesn't get onto the Presidential Cabinet unless the President wants him there.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
Some Breitbart writer tweeted out #WAR already. The more wonderful people of Twitter replied with lyrics:

WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

SAY IT AGAIN...

And on and on.

Brilliant people. :hooray:

So, Steve Bannon has returned to Breitbart, that ugly womb that birthed his political rise.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/18/media/steve-bannon-returns-breitbart/index.html

According to presidential historian Robert Dallek, who wrote biographies of John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson, both presidents wanted to get rid of another "great American" tyrant - J. Edgar Hoover. Both Kennedy and Johnson concluded it was better to have Hoover inside the tent pissing out rather than outside pissing in. Trump may find the same to be true of Bannon. Bannon certainly knows where all the bones are buried.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now back at Breitbart, Bannon has declared "war" (he's used that very word) on anybody who opposes his ideas. He's said he'll crush anyone who disagrees with him. That is the tactic of a pure authoritarian. Bannon isn't even remotely interested in arguing a case and trying to persuade people to his views. He's interested in domination, by whatever means necessary. And that ethos permeates the Alt-Right universe.

Steve Bannon can slide naked down a barbed wire fence. Breitbart was a worthless pieces of trash when its namesake Andrew Breitbart was alive, and now that he's pushing up daisies, it's still a worthless piece of trash. I can respect Bannon for being committed to his vision of America, but it's a perverted vision and I'm against it. There have always been ideological warriors ready and willing to burn the world down to achieve their selfish agendas. Fuck him and his "war."

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Weird. Was watching YouTube commentators, and one showed a picture of Bannon from the early nineties, and he was a good-looking man! It's like he blew the Dorian Gray spell and the evil has come out on his face in double intensity.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Weird. Was watching YouTube commentators, and one showed a picture of Bannon from the early nineties, and he was a good-looking man! It's like he blew the Dorian Gray spell and the evil has come out on his face in double intensity.

I came across a Boston Globe article about Bannon and yeah, he looks nothing like the mangy derelict he is today. One suspects Bannon has spent one night too many wreaking havoc on his liver while killing bottle after bottle of some particularly cheap rotgut bourbon. :e2drunk:

My ass bleeds for Poor Stevie. :rolleyes

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Steve Bannon can slide naked down a barbed wire fence. Breitbart was a worthless pieces of trash when its namesake Andrew Breitbart was alive, and now that he's pushing up daisies, it's still a worthless piece of trash. I can respect Bannon for being committed to his vision of America, but it's a perverted vision and I'm against it. There have always been ideological warriors ready and willing to burn the world down to achieve their selfish agendas. Fuck him and his "war."
I mean it's hard to take him seriously when now he's out of the White House and back at Breitbart his 'war' essentially amounts to nothing more than 'writing mean and inevitably made-up things about people he does not like on the internet' which isn't even a tactic that's worked for the President that he supported so I don't see how it's going to amount to anything other than him bitterly farting hot air at 'the alt-left' from the pages of his pathetic rag.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score

I came across a Boston Globe article about Bannon and yeah, he looks nothing like the mangy derelict he is today. One suspects Bannon has spent one night too many wreaking havoc on his liver while killing bottle after bottle of some particularly cheap rotgut bourbon.

Holy crap, you're right!

Maybe he's running out of horcruxes.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I mean it's hard to take him seriously when now he's out of the White House and back at Breitbart his 'war' essentially amounts to nothing more than 'writing mean and inevitably made-up things about people he does not like on the internet' which isn't even a tactic that's worked for the President that he supported so I don't see how it's going to amount to anything other than him bitterly farting hot air at 'the alt-left' from the pages of his pathetic rag.

I dunno, he was pretty effective at providing a place for the hatemongers to congregate. He knows everything going on inside the government now, and if he's willing to play nice with other bullies, I suspect he might be open to partnering up with Sinclair to provide provocative content for broadcast TV. People trust their local news stations, and if they're unaware they've been bought by a propaganda company, we'll be right back where we were in 2016--with grandma and Uncle Clem spouting the lies being fed to them on FB as gospel truth. Only worse.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I dunno, he was pretty effective at providing a place for the hatemongers to congregate. He knows everything going on inside the government now, and if he's willing to play nice with other bullies, I suspect he might be open to partnering up with Sinclair to provide provocative content for broadcast TV. People trust their local news stations, and if they're unaware they've been bought by a propaganda company, we'll be right back where we were in 2016--with grandma and Uncle Clem spouting the lies being fed to them on FB as gospel truth. Only worse.

+1

The idea that hatemongers and filth-spouters and lie-weavers can be safely dismissed as too fringe to matter died in November 2016, IMHO... He and his ilk would be more easily dismissed in a society with greater emphasis on and respect for facts, reason, and logic. Alas, evidence indicates we are not that society. Extremism sells. Fear sells. Hate sells. For those with no scruples and no sense of shame, it's a bonanza.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it sells forever, though. The recent protests in Boston show that there are far more people who are against the xenophobic policies of the Trump government than for the alt-right.

Trump succeeded for a moment by tying standard Republican policy to the alt-right, with a bow comprised of promises and moonshine. Since then, that bow has become very, very tattered.