• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Using the snowflake method to combat writers block

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadiam

Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons for my signing up to AW was because I love reading and critting other people's work. But the secret "I'm not telling anyone about this because I might have to do something about it then" reason is because I have a 30k partly written novel that I absolutely loved until I wrote myself into a corner about three years ago. Since then I've put it aside, but haven't been able to make myself pick it or anything else up. So have been sitting like a blob watching tv, procrastinating, and thinking about writing but not doing it.

Joining AW has stuck a fire under my butt and in the last few days I have been reverse snowflaking the crap out of that story. I decided that everything I had written could be a valuable source of information about settings and character traits, and I could even farm choice dialogue if I wanted to, but I needed to have some very clear direction from beginning to end before I tackle that again. So far, there's a beginning, there is an end, there is conflict, there are sex scenes (it's erotic fiction), there are relationships and there's a pretty clear timeline all mapped out. Dispite not have any actual novel written yet, I feel way more confident, and excited about the possibility of finishing this thing than I did when I had a fabulous, but unfinished, blocked manuscript.

Has anyone else used the snowflake method on a an unfinished piece you have writers block on? I'd be keen to hear how you went/ how much of the process you utilised?

Last edited:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I have used it on my current novel-in-progress, to help me focus. I did not use the whole process, but a few steps I found really helpful in focusing my eye and understanding where I needed the story to go. The part I found especially useful was taking my main characters and writing down their motivation, goal, conflict, and epiphany. I had already considered these things before I started writing, but putting them down on paper made me see more clearly what needed to happen in my story. Once I had these figured out for my characters, I wrote up a timeline of events for the story, and then from there created a scene list.

NealM

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't used the snowflake method specifically, but I've definitely taken unfinished works, cherry picked my favorite bits about them, and started a brand new outline. The longer I do this (I started as a screenwriter but I've switched to novels) I find that outlining - whatever method you choose - is the only way to go. For me, at least.

Also, three years?! I've abandoned projects that were at a high word count, and it's definitely depressing, but you gotta move on to something else. Maybe you get back to the other one someday, maybe you don't, but you gotta be writing something. Three years is a long time not to exercise those muscles. But I'm glad to hear you're back at it!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've written 9 books using the parts of the Snowflake method that work for me. :) When I get blocked I do more research, so I can't speak to that part. Good luck!

nadiam

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't used the snowflake method specifically, but I've definitely taken unfinished works, cherry picked my favorite bits about them, and started a brand new outline. The longer I do this (I started as a screenwriter but I've switched to novels) I find that outlining - whatever method you choose - is the only way to go. For me, at least.

Also, three years?! I've abandoned projects that were at a high word count, and it's definitely depressing, but you gotta move on to something else. Maybe you get back to the other one someday, maybe you don't, but you gotta be writing something. Three years is a long time not to exercise those muscles. But I'm glad to hear you're back at it!

Yes! Three years is a LONG time not to write after being into it.

Life interrupted. A lovely unexpected pregnancy. A beautiful now 2 year old, and a 6 year old starting school and all the changes in our routine that that entailed, along with a partner experiencing a death in the close family, and all the shitstorm that rained down on us after that all contributed to the hiatus.

Not excuses. Just explanations. It was just too hard. I finally feel like there's room for me which by extension means there's room for writing. Perhaps the crap surrounding me was the cause of the block, rather than the writing itself. Regardless, I'm working my way out!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm loving the supportive nature of this site so much!

Last edited:

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
For my first novel two years ago, yeah. I found a fascinating concept and became obsessed with its many possibilities, so I developed it outwards. Sadly, it didn't work out so well. The novel turned out too long with far too many characters, which I believe helped kill the appeal for agents.

I'm sure it works for many people, but for the inexperienced writers who don't know the difference between worldbuilding and storytelling, I believe it's dangerous.

nadiam

Registered
Reaction score
For my first novel two years ago, yeah. I found a fascinating concept and became obsessed with its many possibilities, so I developed it outwards. Sadly, it didn't work out so well. The novel turned out too long with far too many characters, which I believe helped kill the appeal for agents.

I'm sure it works for many people, but for the inexperienced writers who don't know the difference between worldbuilding and storytelling, I believe it's dangerous.

I can absolutely see the potential for that to happen to someone. Thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to be mindful of a number of things lately and can add this to my list of things to keep an eye on.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I outlined last year's NaNoWriMo project using the snowflake method. It worked out just fine for me, especially outlining all the different scenes. I'm going to try it again this year.

LittleSimon

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't like the snowflake method. It always becomes so cluttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.