On haggis

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I notice it's a thing around here.

Personally, I love haggis. I've had it here in the US. I've had it in Scotland (where I was told that the only people who order haggis in a restaurant are "Americans on holiday"). I've had it in Ireland.

I love haggis.

My stepfather, who embraces his Scottish heritage thoroughly, loathes haggis. And my whole family thinks I'm weird. But I love haggis.

Fight me.

ETA:
I even wrote a blog post about my family's relationship to haggis, http://underpope.com/bloginomicon/2002/09/why-my-family-thinks-im-weird/

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind the taste of haggis, but I don't care for the texture of the spongy little bits of lung.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Oooh, I love black pudding as well.

When I was traveling through Ireland with a friend back in '01, I would always order a full Irish breakfast. And my friend, who was normally one not to eschew unusual foods, would stare at me in horror each time I ate the black pudding.

This same friend once dared me to eat Rocky Mountain oysters when we were in South Dakota. I did, and she stared in horror.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Black pudding doesn't seem like "unusual food" to me. It's just something that you have in a fried breakfast along with bacon and sausage (not the healthiest thing in the world, but nice to have occasionally).

I ate chicken gizzards in Bulgaria. Tasty, but I had to close my eyes to eat them!

When I was in America, I had a corn dog and couldn't finish it. I like hot dogs, and I like corn, but together they are quite stomach-turning.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say whether I'd try haggis, because I've oft thought myself brave enough to try a certain food and then found myself balking when the food was actually before me.

Crickets. Mopani worm. Crocodile tail. I could have nibbled on any of those but didn't. I didn't even try the springbok, and heck, that's just antelope.

I've got Scottish ancestry, so I'm curious about haggis, but my kneejerk revulsion for weird foods is both sneaky and strong.

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
I've had vegetarian haggis in Scotland, and it is amazing.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
My parents gave me two cans of haggis for Christmas one year. One was regular, the other vegetarian. The vegetarian haggis had more saturated fat than the regular. I don't know why.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
You know... way back when, I wasn't all that keen about Haggis.

I didn't really have a choice and had to give it go. If you had read as much as I had about Haggis then you would have had been just as leery, but it wasn't so bad. Actually, after awhile, I got quite used to Haggis. Haggis became a pretty regular staple. The best way I found to handle Haggis was with a bottle of 18 year old Laphroaig single malt scotch. A good single malt always seemed to make Haggis more palatable.

Looking back on it I can say that it was good for me to have set aside all those preconceptions. I actually miss Haggis now, and as much as I never thought I would say this... I might just miss Haggis as much as I do Silverfish.

*removes tongue from cheek*

*whistles away*

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never given Haggis much thought in the past either. But I'm with Kelly on this one... I miss the offal guy..

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Yep, a can.

I actually have three cans of haggis in the house: two regular, one vegetarian. But they've been with us since before we moved, ten years ago. Needless to say, I am wary of trying them.

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, a can.

I actually have three cans of haggis in the house: two regular, one vegetarian. But they've been with us since before we moved, ten years ago. Needless to say, I am wary of trying them.

That is an abomination.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
The trouble with Haggis is catching the wee buggers. They're sneaky, but because their legs are shorter on one side than the other, they can only run one way round a hill. This makes it easier, as you can predict where they'll end up.

They can give you a nasty nip though.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The trouble with Haggis is catching the wee buggers. They're sneaky, but because their legs are shorter on one side than the other, they can only run one way round a hill. This makes it easier, as you can predict where they'll end up.

They can give you a nasty nip though.

I think it's also important to only hunt free-range Haggis.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
My stepfather, who doesn't like haggis in spite of his having embraced his Scottish heritage, participates in an online haggis hunt every year. I guess it's a "catch-and-release" thing.