Bilge pump on a 19th C brigantine/whaler

mongoose29

quelling the inner editor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's say you're iced in on a late-19th century brigantine and ice staves in your hull. You're not sinking yet (the ice jabbing into the hull actually helps to prop you up) so you use the bilge pump to pump out water and postpone the inevitable. From what I can tell, the bilge pump itself is in the lowest part of the bilge, with perhaps a secondary pump a bit higher up. But the crank --- is that above decks? Or is it within the bilge? Where would you actually be carrying out the labor to pump?

BIG THANKS in advance to anyone with insight.

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully someone else has better insight, but in Master and Commander the crank was somewhere below decks. For what little that is worth.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the pump. Many are similar to an old well pump, up and down on the handle and it pumps water. The intake is low in the ship but the pump itself is higher up so it can discharge overboard. Some are screw pumps and the handle can be anywhere. Again, the output has to be above the waterline and the handles are usually at or near the output. In most ships, the draft isn't that deep so the normal waterline is 6-8 feet above the keel.

Jeff

mongoose29

quelling the inner editor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the pump. Many are similar to an old well pump, up and down on the handle and it pumps water. The intake is low in the ship but the pump itself is higher up so it can discharge overboard. Some are screw pumps and the handle can be anywhere. Again, the output has to be above the waterline and the handles are usually at or near the output. In most ships, the draft isn't that deep so the normal waterline is 6-8 feet above the keel.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! Sounds like my scene is incorrect, but I'll leave it for now and do some further research into the particular ship I've modeled mine after + check out the different pumps. What I had found online was a pump where you could attach a crank to the flywheel and turn it. But in my imagination I had envisioned an up-and-down well pump, as you describe. Nice to know I can pick whatever works best for the scene and probably get away with it!

@M.C.Statz - I imagine that film is well researched and fairly accurate. I'm actually reading the novel now! Figured it would be good to beef up while writing my story. :) It's been a few years since I've seen the movie, but it's one of my favorites. I think I'm due for another screening...

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on your story needs, here is a bilge pump that was available since the beginning of sailing:

75fc6664f304cad127ca168f536de358.jpg
and
royal-navy-sailor-and-raf-sargeant-holding-donation-buckets-collecting-b1fyy8.jpg

If your pump isn't keeping up with the inflow of water, you send down the lowest ranked members of crew to form a bucket brigade and get that water bailed overboard. The worse the leak, the more crew you get on it. Just a thought if you need a reason for more people to be down there.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is what I know:

Early 1800's used a device called Wrist and Hip Pump. Good luck finding it. Probably similar to what Weasel referenced. when steam engines were used pumps were incorporated into the pressure piping in mid to late 1800's

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mystic Seaport recently restored their 19c whaling ship Charles W. Morgan, the only extant wooden whaler. This page on their site includes some discussion of the bilge pump & its use, with photos