How about a moment of brainstorming?

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fleshing out a story into something more novel length and my brain is outta practice when it comes to thinking creatively. Shocking thing to admit, yes, but true.

So I'm looking for other ways to call something a Bucket List. For me, Bucket List feels masculine and I'm trying to think of ways to refer to such a list in a feminine way. Currently, my character is simply saying The List, and I thought surely I could do better than that...but nope, not so far. So, ideas?

In this vein, I have the main hit points from her list down, but I'm looking for some more "talking points" to include on this list. For perspective, this is a mid-30s woman who is dissatisfied with her heretofore safe choices in life and so is going to do things that she feels are more in keeping with her "true self". This is in an erotic romance, but she's not interested in multiple partners, though sex with a stranger and voyeurism is on the list. But then, so is never wearing boring easy black and raising chickens. Its an eclectic list. Looking for some sort of "throwaway" ideas, things she can think about and talk about but may happen off stage. No trips, no traveling. Money not an issue. I'm not looking for anything too huge, as I've got those down, but some middle or small things would be gratefully received. Any ideas?

Thanks!

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
1. get a newer, sexier wardrobe

2. get a newer, sexier haircut
3. try eating at exotic restaurants she’s never eaten at before. Sample foreign cuisines she’s never tried before.

4. try a new hobby like skydiving. At least try out one lesson and see if she likes it. Also other possibilities like whitewater rafting, surfing, scuba diving.

5. go to a sex toy shop, buy some toys she’s never tried. Buy sexier lingerie.

As for what to call the Bucket List, i’ll give it some thought. there’s a ton of words sexier than Bucket but which would be right in this context?
HotList? Best I can think of for now. i’ll keep thinking, unless you think HotList is just right.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when the term "bucket list" came on the scene (as far as I know, it was coined by the film of the same name), and I've never really cared for the term. There's nothing wrong with it, it just kind of grates on my nerves.

Anyway, it was called a "bucket list," because it was things you wanted to do "before you kick the bucket." If you want something similar but different, I'd start by looking up a list of other colloquialiasms for death.

- Pushing up daisies
- bought the farm
- cash in your chips
- shuffle off this mortal coil
- ride the pale horse
- take a dirt nap.

There are tons more, but I like these. It's stuff you want to do BEFORE you die, so you might use words that would imply preparatory measures, i.e. "farm fund," "chip pile," "kitty chow," "riding tack," "soil prep," or *heehee*, "shuffleboard."

That's just off the top of my head, and some of these aren't great, but you can have a lot of fun with this kind of thing.

Last edited:

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
Hmmmm! I immediately thought of Do or Die, but that's not very feminine, is it?

Sleeping Beauty List (which really leans more toward waking up and living, than stuff to do before you die, but throwing it out there)

Have you got pole-dancing on her list? ;)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'd love to see something not implying "before I die," because based on your description, it's about changing/recovering her "true self" while she's young, not doing things before she can't anymore (which, as Tazlima points out, is what the bucket list is about).

[MC]'s 11-Step Program?

You maybe could commandeer the map term, legend? If she's "finding" herself, she could maybe think of it as a map back to her true self, with her own personal "sightseeing' stops as her goals?

(I dunno, I'm terrible at this.)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see something not implying "before I die," because based on your description, it's about changing/recovering her "true self" while she's young, not doing things before she can't anymore (which, as Tazlima points out, is what the bucket list is about).

[MC]'s 11-Step Program?

You maybe could commandeer the map term, legend? If she's "finding" herself, she could maybe think of it as a map back to her true self, with her own personal "sightseeing' stops as her goals?

Ooh, I like this. Stuff about maps and compasses could go over big. Seeking out her "true north" kind of stuff. The term "windrose" is pretty and evocative. (A windrose is a drawing on a map or compass that shows the cardinal directions).

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
The Live List?

as in "Time to liiiiive!" not as in "aaand we're live!"

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The Live List?

Or, 'Life List'? No pronunciation problems, and it suggests 'Things to do with/in my life', rather than ticking off things to do 'before I die'. *There is a thing called a 'Life List', kept by birdwatchers, to list all the birds they're seen in their lives.
I also like the 'Sleeping Beauty's List' with the implication of waking up and really living.
I would bet, however, that in her head she just thinks of it as 'The List'.
How about something totally different, like 'The (Name) Project'?

As for smaller ideas for her list: colour her hair some non-hair colour. Get a tattoo. Listen to music in some genre she doesn't particularly like. Train for, and take part in, a distance run. (Doesn't have to be a marathon, there are lots of 5 and 10K runs around.) Volunteer to help some charity (that involves personal effort, not just writing a cheque). Build/fix up something with her own hands for her apartment. Learn a craft/skill.

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
1. get a newer, sexier wardrobe

2. get a newer, sexier haircut
3. try eating at exotic restaurants she’s never eaten at before. Sample foreign cuisines she’s never tried before.

4. try a new hobby like skydiving. At least try out one lesson and see if she likes it. Also other possibilities like whitewater rafting, surfing, scuba diving.

5. go to a sex toy shop, buy some toys she’s never tried. Buy sexier lingerie.

As for what to call the Bucket List, i’ll give it some thought. there’s a ton of words sexier than Bucket but which would be right in this context?
HotList? Best I can think of for now. i’ll keep thinking, unless you think HotList is just right.

Ohhh, this is so helpful, thank you!

I had her shopping, but dorky me failed to put it on her list and it definitely belongs there, as well as the haircut. Love the exotic restaurants and the sex toy shopping, exactly the sorts of things I was looking for!

And yes, Bucket List conjures up images af grumpy old men, and while I did love those two in the movie, that is not the impression I'm going for here.

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when the term "bucket list" came on the scene (as far as I know, it was coined by the film of the same name), and I've never really cared for the term. There's nothing wrong with it, it just kind of grates on my nerves.

Anyway, it was called a "bucket list," because it was things you wanted to do "before you kick the bucket." If you want something similar but different, I'd start by looking up a list of other colloquialiasms for death.

- Pushing up daisies
- bought the farm
- cash in your chips
- shuffle off this mortal coil
- ride the pale horse
- take a dirt nap.

There are tons more, but I like these. It's stuff you want to do BEFORE you die, so you might use words that would imply preparatory measures, i.e. "farm fund," "chip pile," "kitty chow," "riding tack," "soil prep," or *heehee*, "shuffleboard."

That's just off the top of my head, and some of these aren't great, but you can have a lot of fun with this kind of thing.

Oh, this is so clever! This sort of thinking is what I really need to learn. You've given me ample food for thought as well as a cool technique for generating ideas. I stare at a screen or page of paper and think, what else could a bucket list be called? Never thought about going at it like this. Thank you!

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
Have you got pole-dancing on her list? ;)

I do now!

The Do or Die is the idea, her mental state, but its not what I would want to label her list, I think, And Sleeping Beauty is precisely the concept, though somehow Sleeping Beauty List doesn't roll off the tongue...

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score

[MC]'s 11-Step Program?

Love this, as yes, this is why she's made the list. She doesn't want to wake up one morning and realize all the time she's lost, etc etc. The concept of a map, of making it back to her true self fits perfectly. I'm going to work this around in my lil brain a bit and see what I can come up with.

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I like this. Stuff about maps and compasses could go over big. Seeking out her "true north" kind of stuff. The term "windrose" is pretty and evocative. (A windrose is a drawing on a map or compass that shows the cardinal directions).

I love love love "windrose". I'm loving the concept of a map. Wow, this is exactly what I miss about being in a writer's group and why I am thrilled to have discovered these forums.

Now I just need to learn how to multiquote, as this was a bunch!

Thank you!

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
The Live List?

This is definitely the concept. I usually tend to simpler, too, so in that way it appeals. But I dunno, its just not feeling like the right name yet. Sigh. The Struggle.

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
Or, 'Life List'? No pronunciation problems, and it suggests 'Things to do with/in my life', rather than ticking off things to do 'before I die'. *There is a thing called a 'Life List', kept by birdwatchers, to list all the birds they're seen in their lives.
I also like the 'Sleeping Beauty's List' with the implication of waking up and really living.
I would bet, however, that in her head she just thinks of it as 'The List'.
How about something totally different, like 'The (Name) Project'?

As for smaller ideas for her list: colour her hair some non-hair colour. Get a tattoo. Listen to music in some genre she doesn't particularly like. Train for, and take part in, a distance run. (Doesn't have to be a marathon, there are lots of 5 and 10K runs around.) Volunteer to help some charity (that involves personal effort, not just writing a cheque). Build/fix up something with her own hands for her apartment. Learn a craft/skill.

More awesome suggestions.

I like the idea of calling it a project, too. First thing that popped into my head was The Windrose Project. Hmmm, gonna have to think.

And fabulous ideas for adding onto the list. Going to listen to different music and the volunteering would fit perfectly, story-wise, too.
Thanks!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Now I just need to learn how to multiquote, as this was a bunch!

Thank you!
How to multi-quote: See the little symbol at the bottom right of the post box? The one beside 'Reply' and 'Reply With Quote' - the quotation mark with a + sign? That's 'Multi-Quote' (hover over it to see).
To use it, press 'Multi-Quote' on every post you want to quote, then, when you're done, press 'Reply with Quote' to get them all in one post. Then fill in your comments, as normal.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
I do now!

The Do or Die is the idea, her mental state, but its not what I would want to label her list, I think, And Sleeping Beauty is precisely the concept, though somehow Sleeping Beauty List doesn't roll off the tongue...

then how about Aurora List? Because Aurora was Sleeping Beauty’s name.
Or:

New Dawn List
New Life List
Wake Up List

New Vision List

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I like the Aurora List and the Sleeping Beauty angle. Maybe she could have one or two points on her list that involve doing something for others, like helping someone else live out their erotic fantasy or giving an erotic massage. You already have voyeurism, but what about exhibitionism? The thrill of doin' it somewhere she might get caught. Is she into BDSM? How about giving or receiving a spanking?

Also, um, since this is an erotic romance, you could call it The F*ckit List. Yanno, since it rhymes with "bucket."

...I'll see myself out. :gone:

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
I kind of love that F*ckit List one ��

Me, too! ;)

How about the Cinderella Project?

Yeah, I'm stuck on fairy tales, but fairy tales are basically tales of transformation. Like ugly ducklings into swans, and the girl among the cinders becoming a princess. Cinderella really is about a woman coming into her own because she's earned it and knows she deserves it, not gettin' a man. The man is a by-product of her transformation. Your character can be her own Fairy Godmother and transform herself.

Hmmm...maybe this a book or movie title already? Dunno!

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
then how about Aurora List? Because Aurora was Sleeping Beauty’s name.
Or:

New Dawn List
New Life List
Wake Up List

New Vision List

How about the "aurora borealist?"

:roll:
I can't resist puns.

Last edited:

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
more new things she could try out:

skiing, water skiing, any adventure sports
horse riding

join a theater group, take part in an amateur play. Any of these could also be a good way to meet men.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Not to spoil the fun, just something to think about...from a reader perspective, if you're going to invoke a specific fairy tale element, I'm going to expect the story to have a significant connection to that tale, beyond "transformation." Because EVERY romance is about transformation. Fairy tale retellings are pretty common fare in all genres, common enough if you put a connection in a major thematic element of the story, I'm definitely going to expect to be able to pick out the parallels as I read. If they're not there, I'mma be disappointed. :-/