Anyone there?

Ally_K

Registered
Reaction score
Ehh... Yeah, so. Hello, everyone. Well, I'm, like, very, really, new to this site, and forums in general. Not really sure, how all this works. Pretty confused by the interface...
Hmm, well, I just wanted to say hi, and, maybe, ask what to do now :D

PS: Feeling a bit lost.

Thanks for your time ^^

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Quiet, everybody! We can surprise her.)

Oh, wait, you're already a little confused by all this, and we wouldn't want to be mean. Instead, let me welcome you and point you to some links about using this site that will help it seem less confusing and enormous.

We'll start with the most basic, the Newbie Guide. (When a word or two appears in blue rather than black text, it is a link. Click on it and another page will open.) This thread by the site's owner explains the essential how-to on posting your own messages and replying to other members' posts.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No-one here but us chickens. Welcome to AW :Sun:

Ally_K

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks. That was a quick answer. I always thought that forums tend to me a bit silent nowadays. Heard of 'em, never used one though. Forum sites always made me a bit queasy. Well, I am familiar with the link stuff and the standard procedures. What I'm still confused about is what do I actually do here? I found this site when I was looking for ways to promote my soon-to-be-published book, and at first I thought "A forum? That won't work for me, I have no idea what to do there.". But in the end I got interested by this site in particular. Probably because of all the one's I've seen, AW seems to be the most simple one.
But those threads everywhere. They really make one dizzy.
And I've already gone through the newbie guide. It was a quick look, also took a look at some rules of AW and... Too much information for a few hours I guess. Especially at night. Probably should go through the guide one more time, more thoroughly and after a good nights sleep.
Thanks again for the quick reply, appreciate it a lot.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a forum for promoting books so much as talking and learning and teaching and answering questions about all things writing. (Although you can put a link to your published book in your sig, and also list it in the AW library.)

People talk about writing here, and they form connections, trade tips, get feedback after they've been here a while, swap beta-reads, and face the squirrels in Share Your Work (password:vista). And kick around wasting time if they're feeling a bit knackered by the process. There's a huge amount of advice and experience to learn from for people who are self-publishing, and huge amount of info and advice for people who are trade-publishing or hunting for agents.

It is a big site, and little unwieldy (I say that with love, guys.) There's one rule - Respect Your Fellow Writer.

Take your time. We'll be here when you surface. (Not me and Maryn necessarily because timezones, but someone will be around...)

ETA: Congrats on your soon-to-be finished!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Ally_K

Registered
Reaction score

Hi! Thanks =)
Do you have a suggestion on where I can chat with people who are new like me? Or any other interesting thread where people talk about their progression on books and stuff like publishing and self-publishing? I've seen a lot of threads on these themes, but I'd like some suggestions, if you don't mind helping me :D

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Welcome, Ally. You've picked a good place to dip your toes into the world of forums. This is a great community.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hi! Thanks =)
Do you have a suggestion on where I can chat with people who are new like me? Or any other interesting thread where people talk about their progression on books and stuff like publishing and self-publishing? I've seen a lot of threads on these themes, but I'd like some suggestions, if you don't mind helping me :D

:welcome:

You might like to try the Newbie Pub. Grab a drink, have a chat. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks =)

If you've read the newbie guides and looked around the place, most of what you need is pretty well spelled out. If you're looking for progressive reports, try the genre you're interested in. If you're looking for self publishing info, there's the self-publishing threads. Hang on and I'll find some links.

If you want to check out potential publishers and agents, try this thread.

Last edited:

Ally_K

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for being so welcoming! I think I feel a bit warmed up now, still a bit shy though ^_^

If you've read the newbie guides and looked around the place, most of what you need is pretty well spelled out.

Yeah, I've read the guides and rules and stuff. I guess I'm just a bit scared to make too many posts, don't want to seem too excited I guess ^^
I've looked through most of the threads, but I just wanted to know if there are some suggestions in particular, it's easier when people tell you where it's awesome, than to search for hours for something good.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm just a bit scared to make too many posts, don't want to seem too excited I guess ^^
I've looked through most of the threads, but I just wanted to know if there are some suggestions in particular, it's easier when people tell you where it's awesome, than to search for hours for something good.
This is not a place where you need to be shy. You write YA, right? YA has a very chatty area here. I would imagine they'd welcome you with open arms.

Last edited:

Ally_K

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, guys, you made my day! =)) (by guys I mean girls and boys) :D

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ally. Welcome to the forum. Lots of very awesome guys (both male and female and of alien zebra species) on this forum. :hi:

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
This community sets the bar for forums, in my experience. You get the occasional asshat, but even when things get heated, you'll find intelligent discourse from smart folks. And so much help and so much wisdom...mmmmm. ☺️

Ally_K

Registered
Reaction score
This community sets the bar for forums, in my experience. You get the occasional asshat, but even when things get heated, you'll find intelligent discourse from smart folks. And so much help and so much wisdom...mmmmm. ☺️

I get what you mean. I've been on this forum for three days now and already love it here) Too bad I'm on the other side of the globe and don't get to participate in ongoing discussions much, seeing that when it's day in the US it's night where I am) But I still get to ask questions and chat with people, because it's the internet, HELLYEAH I'm excited to get stuck here for a while.