Canada: Tories turning on Ezra Levant's The Rebel Media

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Doug Schweitzer, a candidate for the leadership of the United Conservative Party of Alberta, has called for the cutting of ties between the Conservative Party and The Rebel Media. Schweitzer has accused The Rebel Media of supporting the Charlottesville March and slandering the victim, Heather Heyer.

Schweitzer has also called out the leading candidates in the Alberta race, Jason Kenney and Brian Jean, for not disavowing their ties to The Rebel Media, Ezra Levant, Gavin McInnes and Jack Posobiec.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...l-media-says-ucp-leadership-hopeful-1.4246387

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...harlottesville-alt-right-candidates-1.4246757

Michael Chong, Member of Parliament and former candidate for the leadership has also come out against the media group.

Unfortunately for the Federal Tories, the current leader of the Conservative Party, Andrew Scheer has his media team heavily intertwined with the Rebel Media. So, we'll see what happens.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Wow, what a disgusting human being, and what a disgusting station.

It's good to see some pushback against this kind of thing from the "establishment" conservatives, but it's sad that they only (seemingly) just noticed what a hotbed of hate that station is. Seems like they object to the negative PR more than the views. I suspect the same is true for many conservative politicians in the US too :(

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
It doesn't say much about an organization when Lauren Southern was the closest thing they had to a rational person and even she jumped ship earlier this year.

McInnes and Goldy are pretty much RM's version of Fox News' Hannity and O'Reilly (but with anti-semitism), so them losing McInnes isn't really a bad thing, is it?

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this satire article from The Beaverton was hilarious.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Not a frequent reader of the National Post but Richard Warnica wrote a great piece today covering Ezra Levant's arc through mainstream politics and infamy. A great little paragraph cuts through to the chase:

Levant continued to enter competitive debates in university. He won national titles four years running at the University of Calgary, including one with future Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi. The two had faced off regularly in high school and, according to Ron Lee, they didn’t much like each other. That changed, at least temporarily, in university. “They worked together and there was a lot of respect for the other person’s perspective,” said Bob Schulz, Levant’s university coach. “So either Ezra’s lost that perspective or he only puts it on the side because the people who are writing the cheques want him to be extreme.”

The truth is people are paying him.

On Thursday, Press Progress, a left-wing advocacy group, reported that Levant received funding in 2015 from the Middle East Forum, a right-wing think tank with a long history of hostility toward Islam.

The Middle East Forum promotes funding for the opposition of Islam and the support of the state of Israel. It seems that the biggest problem for counter-jihad and islamophobe activists is that the community is rather small and to grow, you're going to intersect with people who are in direct opposition to your existence.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score

ETA: I'm going to leave what I said up because I think it still applies in the general, but it's now being reported that The Rebel was not kicked out by its registrar. So the idea that this is becoming more normal is inaccurate, which I think is a good thing, for the reasons below.

--

This is unsurprising and clearly following in the footsteps of the Daily Stormer being booted last week. The world's not losing much by not having access to these sites, but the process by which this is happening is a little terrifying for net neutrality.

Domain registrars hold a lot of power on the web. Hosting services hold even more, particularly for larger media sites. While it's true there are alternatives--some ethical, some not--the end result is these sites being driven underground, likely onto the dark web where they are going to do exactly the same thing but will become that much more difficult to pursue and potentially take action against should they violate the law or worse. In a worst case scenario, the sense of martyrdom could embolden them.

Further, these internet companies are in many cases corporate entities with PR departments. Many domain registrars succeed or fail on word of mouth. They have the power--and indeed the right--to boot whomever and whatever they like, and they will do so, it seems, to protect their image. Which I understand, particularly in this case. I'm just not sure I trust their judgment in future cases. Once internet companies see that this is a.) necessary, and b.) works, those same image-conscious corporations have the social mandate to boot any site that's bad for PR. It is not that long ago that sites proclaiming LGBTQ+ friendliness might have been considered bad for PR. So too much of the traffic around popular uprisings like Occupy or Tahrir Square. Antifa and other activists rely heavily on online organizing and hosting and part of their role is to antagonize corporate power. Not to mention journalists who publish unpleasant stories--see Gawker, a slightly distasteful site at times, the shuttering of which was entirely legal but deeply worrying (and the same thing is now being done to the much more reputable Techdirt).

Ezra Levant's been around awhile. He's always been pretty obnoxious. But I'm a big fan of this piece (from 2010) by Rick Mercer. For those who aren't familiar with him, he's a leftish comic and writer from Newfoundland famous for his "rants," originally on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" and then on his own show. I remember the controversy Mercer's referring to, when the Danish cartoons were published. That was a considerably more muddied controversy. Would a registrar boot a site for running those cartoons if enough people were upset? It's worth bearing in mind that AW has, in the past, been booted due to hosts being hit with fake/ungrounded DMCA takedown requests from disgruntled agents.

Just to re-iterate: The Rebel is crazy, 2010 was a long time ago, Levant has clearly been very emboldened, and his tears over getting booted are pretty hollow--not only is his site deeply disturbing, Levant has always played for the kind of attention he's getting now, and getting shut down was a possibility he's courted before. There will always be another Levant venture, even if The Rebel never surfaces again.

But the DMCA is and was flawed legislation when it was passed not because it was trying to protect copyright holders (incl. writers) but because it had the potential (among other problems) to lead to incidents like what happened to AW. We shouldn't be worried about whatever happens to Levant and his colleagues but we should be mindful of the precedents we inflict or have already inflicted on the very social norms we want to protect.

Last edited: