• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Rushing

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
I kind of have the same problem. I can only speak for myself, but for me it gets better in the rewrites. My rushing happens for a couple of reasons, (a) I'm not very confrontational myself and so I try to spare my characters from having confrontations (without even realizing that's what I'm doing), which means that I gloss over conflict instead of going deeper into it; (b) my draft is written in an unintentional third-person-objective POV so it reads as a narrative of what's going on and how people feel. When that happens, I try to find some space by myself and shut my eyes and imagine myself as my POV character, and put myself through the scene step by step. Then I write down what I, as the character, am thinking and feeling as well as what's going on. And that often changes what the characters do in the scene, as well as making it more lifelike and giving the reader a closer POV.

I sometimes don't recognize when I'm rushing, but I'm lucky to be part of a wonderful critique group that calls me out on what isn't working, and that gives me a chance to go back and do a better job of it.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I have this problem, too. Some great advice from the AW members was to add more description of the setting in each scene, but more importantly, to add description of how your character feels about what's happening. Get inside your character's head and show us how s/he feels about what's going on.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
TRIPLETS!

- - - Updated - - -

TBH, I only posted mine after you two went all mind-meldy. Couldn't resist. :D

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do that too, when writing the first draft, because I feel like if I slow down I'll lose all momentum. So if it's how you write, it's how you write. It's fine. When you edit, slow down the pace. Add to the scenery. Allow your characters reflection time. Flesh out their dialogue. It's all good.

*notices the Aussies in the thread*

*backs away slowly*

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
To answer the OP -- apart from what's already been mentioned, remember that each scene has to exist for itself. That is, it isn't something to rush through to get to the next exciting thing.

For each scene, think about where it is (describe physical setting, including smell), what happens (what events take place), how your characters are feeling (narration, emotion), and what's the conflict. Take each scene as it's own mini-story with beginning, middle, and end; goal, motivation, and conflict.

If the scene seems rushed, go back and flesh it out. Are your characters interacting with their environment? Are they talking to each other? Are they expressing (internally, depending on POV) how they feel about what's going on? What is the goal they're working toward, how are they being thwarted, and how are they acting to overcome it?

TL;DR - the scene isn't there as a way to get to the next bit. It has to stand on its own as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, rambly. Not sure if that helps at all.

As always, it makes sense in my head!

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
In addition to adding more detail and such (where appropriate - detail just for detail's sake grows cumbersome, and some scenes, like action scenes, ought to read faster), pay attention when you read. How do the authors you read pace scenes?

Then practice. Practice, share, assess feedback, and repeat.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really understand the problem - I think rushing is fine as long as you go back and shade-in. It's a good way to get to the end of the first draft. I wonder, OP, if you're letting people read it before it's ready?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
concern yourself with what is happening now in the story and forget about what happens next.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I do this too. Usually what happens is that I get to a point where I've figured out what will happen at the end of the scene, so I assume the reader will also know and then race to get there.

As mccardey says, I don't think it's a problem in the first draft, especially if you're aware of it. Probably the best thing to do is read writers you like, and look at the shape of their scenes.

Reading aloud helps me to pick it up, and then I go back and look at what's missing - could be action, dialogue, setting, etc. or any combination.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
It's more like sex than a footrace. The goal isn't to get to the finish line as quickly as possible, but to have fun along the way.

Yeah, yeah, throw a pie for my terrible/cliche similes. But the general point stands.

My guess would be that you're missing transitions (scene to scene, dialogue to action then back again) and character interority (emotions, thoughts, reflections).

Do you post in syw?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If 'rushing' is the way you write and get the first draft down - that's the way you write. If you don't want to rush- slow down. What's the problem?

Have you asked the right question?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Suspect the OP doesn't literally mean writing the scenes too quickly in minutes.

Yes, I know. But if one is omitting essential scenes or missing stuff out it must be written quicker, and slowing down should allow thoughts to occur.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yes, I know. But if one is omitting essential scenes or missing stuff out it must be written quicker, and slowing down should allow thoughts to occur.

Not necessarily. I write slowly, but a lot of my scenes start life as not much more than talking heads. They get fleshed out on subsequent revisions. The physical speed of writing has very little to do with it, I find.

- - - Updated - - -

I do this too. Usually what happens is that I get to a point where I've figured out what will happen at the end of the scene, so I assume the reader will also know and then race to get there.

This ​I can relate to.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You can always keep doing what you're doing for first draft and then, after, flesh out the scenes to make them more substantial and less rushed. Maybe it's just a matter of not redrafting the scene to the best of your ability. In a first draft, we're likely to rush more...just to get the bones down. Maybe spend more time in the following draft.

Enoise

Registered
Reaction score
It might help if you flesh out a scene first in you head before venturing to write it, then you are less likely to miss details you don't want to, and again, by rewriting till it reads perfect to you.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We all find we may have missed things in the first draft, whether we batter it out on the keyboard or quietly pen it on paper.

Maybe we realise it ourselves on editing, or maybe others point out the perceived flaws or omissions.

It's not unusual, and it's easily rectified.

If you know you tend to rush- give yourself more thinking time.

Last edited: