A decision required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this counts as an accomplishment but I know I need to make a decision.

My MS is 180K and has too many characters and plots stuffed in and I know it cannot go on as it is.

So, I have decided that I've two options. One is to divide it up into smaller books under the title of "tales from my universe".

The other is to take what I now know about writing as a learning experience and start something new.

I'd love to do the latter but certain family members would probably not understand.

---------------

So... is this a goal? An accomplishment?

I think I'll go and mop the kitchen floor.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
First, congratulations on finishing! 180k is a whopper. Be proud of yourself. Second, with all due respect to select family members, you should do what feels right for you and your process. Placing some distance between you and your WIP will likely give you better perspective when it comes time to edit. It doesn't have to be another 100k project. Try writing an unrelated short story or novella. Forget all about your WIP so you can return to it with fresh eyes.

Just my 2c. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IDK where you are in your writerly pursuits so fwiw, first novels are often overly long and in need of a serious trim. If you are a newer writer and haven't done so, I recommend posting some chapters, one at a time, in SYW and also trying to get some readers to give you their thoughts on the manuscript as a whole. But whatever you do next, congrats on your progress so far.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I think I will be chopping up my manuscript and recasting it as two books. It's a question of what in which book, though.

Reaction score
Website
hariscolic.wixsite.com
It's always good to distance yourself from your current project for some time, because when you get back to it, you see it kind of differently. You will be less emotional and more objective about it. You will think more rationally and it will be easier for you to make the right decisions.

Go write something completely different and in a few months, sit down and read what you have written so far in this project of yours. Edit it first, there is always something to cut out, after you trim it, think about splitting it into smaller books.

Hope I helped a bit.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my book for the first time in weeks: before that I was panicking, going round in circles and getting close to giving up.

I've got two characters that seem unnecessary: what they do and see isn't that important to the main plot. I've got another character who needs to do one important thing but also has a whole story line herself... which might need to be trimmed or shifted. So what I am doing is going through these characters and noting down what they are doing and what plot points they are involved in (other than their plots). Then once that's done I'll work out which of these need to be dropped and which can folded into the rest.

I'm working on my book again. Wow.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
It's important to realize that it doesn't have to be a complete yes-no decision. You can get to an editing place where you've done the best you can and then write another book. You can then go back and revise this one with an eye to lessons learned. I've done that cycle a bunch of times myself.

Glad it looks like you've decided on a course of action. :)

Last edited:

pamrobi

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, that is an amazing accomplishment! I agree with the advice above to take a break, work on something new, and then come back in a couple of months with fresh eyes. You might find that your original work is better than you thought and needs only a good edit.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh,,, I'm so happy to be working on my MS again after months of indecision and panic. I know what to do... it's great.

It's not going to be easy, but I think I can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.