• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking to form a Writing Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I have access to Internet for a limited time, so I must be quick.

Seems the summer passes too soon! It's been brought to my attention that Writing Groups are essential for writers. For many, they provide deadlines and encouragement. Likewise, I'm looking to open a writing group for anyone interested in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi category. It will begin this fall. My hope is a five member group connected via a Facebook page. I'm looking for the following:

(a) Writers - Writers interested in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi Genre are free to join. Writers are expected to submit a minimum of 1,000 words to the group once a week for feedback. Writers are expected to evaluate others work and offer constructive criticism. (3-5 Individuals)

(b) Readers - Readers are expected to evaluate others work and offer constructive criticism. They are not expected to submit 1,000 words a week (1-3 Individuals).

Please let me know if you're interested. Again, I apologize if this is in the wrong spot.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
I'm interested. I've finished two adult fantasy novels. But my current project is YA romance fantasy. Would that be all right with you? I'm a member of a local writers group of more than 20 members, so I'm used to giving and receiving critique.

Please let me know. Thanks.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested. I've finished two adult fantasy novels. But my current project is YA romance fantasy. Would that be all right with you? I'm a member of a local writers group of more than 20 members, so I'm used to giving and receiving critique.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Of course! As long as there are fantasy elements!
That's so neat!

I'm interested but I'd probably have to be a reader. I can't commit to 1000 words a week when I don't write in that way. Some weeks I revise, solidly. Other weeks I write in bursts.

Readers are welcome!

I'll send you guys the link to the group once it's available :)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I am Potentially Very Interested as a reader, though I'll admit my judgements may be colored by a bias towards low or epic fantasy/ realistic SF or space opera and away from urban fantasy and paranormal romance (with YA a firm 'in the middle).

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
How fine are you drawing this SF/F line? My project is totally speculative but runs more in modern horror flavor than even urban fantasy.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
I express interest, but I feel in general the firm 1k weekly posting may be a bit much for some writers, particularly the ones in editing mode with their stories.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Or this happens to not be the group for them. Groups work best if there is some equivalency in what people are doing.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I am Potentially Very Interested as a reader, though I'll admit my judgements may be colored by a bias towards low or epic fantasy/ realistic SF or space opera and away from urban fantasy and paranormal romance (with YA a firm 'in the middle).

I'm unsure how that would affect criticism of works that aren't in those categories. Honestly, it's up to you!

How fine are you drawing this SF/F line? My project is totally speculative but runs more in modern horror flavor than even urban fantasy.

The story has to fit in a Fantasy category. However, if the story has strong elements of another genre (romance, for example (because someone has asked about the genre)) it's fine! :)

I might be interested.

Perfect! Would you join as a Reader or Writer?

Such writers as mentioned can submit the pieces they're editing for critique. Just a thought.

That's a really good idea! :D We're all at different stages! I'm going to write this idea down!

Or this happens to not be the group for them. Groups work best if there is some equivalency in what people are doing.

That's a great point! :)

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I think what nerdilydone might mean is that it might be the same piece.

I write and rewrite the same chapters, sometimes trying out different scene orders and points of view, until it's right. I imagine that would be excessively dull for other people to see week by week, though ;-)

I do write a lot new, and could easily generate that much, but it'd be all over the place (eg 3k new words spread across six non-consecutive chapters). I guess I'm very piecemeal and chaotic.

But as before I don't mind reading, and occasionally subbing if that's allowed.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I express interest, but I feel in general the firm 1k weekly posting may be a bit much for some writers, particularly the ones in editing mode with their stories.

If a 1,000 word system doesn't work with you, that's fine! That is the system the group will be using. However, if you still want to join, and read other individuals works, you can! If you get to a point in your story where edits are done to a point, and you want some feedback, you can post! :) It's up to you!

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is definitely interested, I've created the Facebook group. Think it over and send me a PM if you want to join ^^

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
Is there still room in the group? I would be interested to join as a writer, as I am currently editing my fantasy novel .

ajjameson

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, am looking for a writers group to join. If there's any room left, I mainly write scifi, fantasy, and thriller.

Status
Not open for further replies.