OKC Domestic Terrorism Plot

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
This was a little unnerving to read today.

A self-proclaimed "3-percenter" first wanted to blow up the Federal Reserve Building in downtown Oklahoma City. He eventually changed his target to a BancFirst building "because he didn't want to kill a bunch of people." He made contact with someone who had a friend who could get him the ammonium nitrate and anhydrous amonia that he needed, then loaded everything in a stolen van and parked it behind BancFirst. Then he drove away and dialed the cellphone that was supposed to detonate everything.

The two guys he'd been in touch with were federal agents.

The bank is about 6-8 blocks from the Oklahoma City National Memorial.

Unreal. Just your average white guy trying to build a VBIED in Hometown, USA.

http://www.koco.com/article/man-arrested-in-plot-to-detonate-vehicle-bomb-in-downtown-okc/12007801

http://newsok.com/sayre-man-arrested-accused-of-trying-to-blow-up-okc-bank/article/5560067

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neither news report refer to him as a terrorist. Figures.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

Oh, well. He didn't do it to be a terrorist. He did it "because he was upset with the government."

Obviously it's completely different.

:sarcasm

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The "3%" movement is similar to the Oathkeepers movement, founded on the idea that only 3 percent of the population fought in the Revolution. That's been discounted, but the movement is steill therre.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
When a mass shooting or bombing has just happened or is ongoing, I channel and site surf and can tell the exact moment they identify a suspect. Not because a name is released, but because the suspect suddenly becomes either a lone wolf who must have mental health issues or a terrorist. Then I know if the suspect is white or not. It never fails and sadly, I've had far too many chances to test it.

Reading about him and came across this info:

His prior criminal history: "domestic assault and battery by strangulation."
For which he got a deferred sentence. Yep, if you qualify as a lone wolf, you probably are in a demographic llikely to get leniency in the courts. imo.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear he was stopped by agents.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, some very effective work by the agents!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

From the first link:
The arrest is the culmination of a long-term domestic terrorism investigation involving an undercover operation, during which Varnell had been monitored closely for months as the alleged bomb plot developed, authorities said. The device was actually inert, and the public was not in danger.

The second link skirts the issue but clearly the Three Percenters group he associated with ticks all the worst boxes.

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
1. I'm so glad he was stopped and no one was hurt.
2. Can you imagine the uproar that would be happening right now if this guy was brown??? My God. But he's white, so all's quiet.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it goes to emphasize the alt-right terror-advocating groups in the US. The news is fixated on anything Islamic when it comes to terror threats. When it comes to these alt-right acts of terror, while covered in the news, the news media treatment and public reaction is just not the same. How was this lone wolf not scary as hell? How many more of them are out there and how many are going to be emboldened by the Trump nightmare?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I think it goes to emphasize the alt-right terror-advocating groups in the US. The news is fixated on anything Islamic when it comes to terror threats.

Well, when the federal government reportedly wants to change the name of the Countering Violent Extremism office to Countering Islamic Extremism, you can see where they get that idea.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Turns out he may not have wanted to do what he supposedly did.

His family has spoken up.

We as a family are extremely distraught about this situation with our son Jerry Drake Varnell, but what the public must understand is that he is a paranoid schizophrenic and is extremely susceptible to different types of ideology that normal people would deem immoral. Underneath his condition, he is a sweet-hearted person and we are extremely shocked that this event has happened. However, what truly has us flabbergasted is the fact that the FBI knew he was schizophrenic. The State of Oklahoma found him mentally incompetent and we, his parents have legal guardianship over him by the Court. These documents are sealed from the public, which is why no news media outlet has been able to obtain them. The FBI clearly knew that he was schizophrenic because they have gathered every ounce of information on him.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Ugh. SO SICK of all the white terrorists being declaimed as "sweethearts underneath." JUST, NO.

Frankly, that statement makes the parents sound like the paranoid ones. "The FBI clearly knew that he was schizophrenic because they have gathered every ounce of information on him." Well, thank god for that.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
If the state declared him mentally incompetent, the FBI would have had access to those records. He'd supposedly been under investigation since Dec '16. I find it believable that they'd known about his condition.