The bewildering saga of Australian politicians and dual nationalities

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
[h=1]Barnaby Joyce is a New Zealand citizen, NZ PM confirms[/h]
First, Greens Senator (and someone I hugely admire) Scott Ludlam was revealed to be a NZ citizen. The Australian Constitution forbids anyone from being an elected member of parliament while holding dual citizenship. Then, in the same week, Greens Senator (also someone I think is great) Larissa Waters discovererd she was a dual citizen with Canada, despite never have been in Canada since leaving as a baby.

As a Greens supporter, I was gutted. Absolutely gutted. And of course every other party started kicking sand in the Greens' faces, with Malcolm Turnbull (the prime minister) describing it as a "remarkable oversight". Flash forward a few weeks. People are starting to ask whether Senator Malcolm Roberts, climate change skeptic and all-round nutbag was a British citizen at the time of his election, and why he lied about the fact that he once was (thanks Buzzfeed for uncovering that).

Then a member of Malcolm Turnbull's own cabinet found out he apparently had Italian citizenship (who knew?). He resigned from cabinet, but didn't resign as a senator, unlike (showing my bias here) the more dignified Greens Senators who immediately resigned.

And now....

Oh, boy.

And today it has been revealed that the DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA is a NZ citizen, and thus ineligible to be elected to Parliament. This of course is Barnaby Joyce, the man who threatened to euthanise Johnny Depp's dogs because they were foreign pests that had unlawfully gained entry to Australia (a revelation which caused my irony meter to immediately explode).

What's so incredible about this revelation? Because the 4 senators (2 of whom have resigned, 1 of whom should have resigned, 1 of whom deserves to be fired out of a cannon) are obviously elected to the Senate. The Deputy Prime Minister is a member of the Lower House... the Lower House in which the Government need a majority to govern. As fate my have it, the Government currently has a majority of ONE in the Lower House.

And now, of course, a Lower House Coalition member is ineligible. Will the Government keep its majority? Will they be booted out for reasons they themselves mocked others for? Will Johnny Depp finally have his revenge?

To find out what happens next in the wacky world of Australian politics, TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR MORE!!!!

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I was about to add this latest debacle to the current Section 44 thread. :)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I make it a point never to comment on things I don't know anything about. I've tried to follow it but it is confusing, and far be it from me to call another kettle blacker, but that is some weird shit you've got going on. --s6

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I make it a point never to comment on things I don't know anything about. I've tried to follow it but it is confusing, and far be it from me to call another kettle blacker, but that is some weird shit you've got going on. --s6

No one here's going to disagree with you. :)

Nutshell: According to our Constitution, you can't be a member of federal parliament if you hold citizenship anywhere other than Australia.

Turns out a bunch of Senators and MPs do (mostly unwittingly, it seems).

It's a big ol' mess.

- - - Updated - - -

But if it gets rid of Malcolm Roberts, it'll be worth it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sounds like this isn't something new, but something that's become a button to push when other means of reaching a political opponent fail.

Anyone know what prompted this frenzy of citizenship checks?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
As far as I remember, the two Greens senators who were the first to go came forward themselves. I don't know whether it was ever revealed what triggered it (whether a reporter or another party or self-discovery followed by honesty).

Our esteemed PM subsequently came out and sneered at the Greens for their sloppy administrative practices. Most other parliamentarians stayed sensibly quiet, because if 2/10 Greens were caught out by this, chances were high there'd be others amongst the hundreds from the major parties. So people went looking. And ... yep.

It's before the High Court now.

Basically, the whole country is :popcorn: wondering who'll go next.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Government accuses Labor of NZ conspiracy
'Clearly the Labor Party are involved in a conspiracy using a foreign government, in this case New Zealand, to try and bring down the Australian government,' Leader of the House Christopher Pyne told Sky News.

Haha, now they're basically accusing the Labor party of treason. For pointing out the deputy PM of the country is a foreign national.

Is it time for a 1975-style constitutional crisis?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's at times like this I actually wish the Queen would tell everyone to pull their bloody head in and sort it out.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
So you have a sneery PM? We have a sneery President. --s6

Sneer probably wasn't quite the right word. More like supercilious mocking.

Is it time for a 1975-style constitutional crisis?

It's at times like this I actually wish the Queen would tell everyone to pull their bloody head in and sort it out.

Let's just call no confidence and have another election.

Pity the LNP framed their second attempt to get the SSM plebiscite through the senate in such a way that it couldn't trigger another double dissolution.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Dearie me. The Christopher Pyne who was involved in the Slipper/Brough/Ashby stuff? That Christopher Pyne? Well he'd know all about political conspiracies.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Julie Bishop to Christopher Pyne: Hold my chardy.

The Barnaby Joyce citizenship crisis has sparked a diplomatic brawl between Australia and New Zealand, with Foreign Minister Julie Bishop declaring she would find it hard to trust a NZ Labour government if it had any role in trying to bring down the Turnbull government

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm following The Age's live feed from Canberra (hooray for quiet work days!). What a fustercluck.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Bishop to Christopher Pyne: Hold my chardy.

More than shades of Howard in 2006 pre-emptively trashing our relationship with a potential Obama presidency. I seem to recall that particular diplomatic crisis was averted by us chucking Howard out. Don't be too certain you'll last long enough to see a NZ Labour government, Madam Death-stare.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how BJ is going to legal out, ignorance of the law is not a defence as far as i know?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Does anyone know how BJ is going to legal out, ignorance of the law is not a defence as far as i know?

From the Sydney Morning Herald:

But Senator Brandis backed Mr Turnbull's prediction that Mr Joyce's election won't be invalidated, insisting the court will accept Mr Joyce's explanation that he didn't know he was a citizen of another country, as citizenship was inherited through his father.
"We are confident that on the proper interpretation of section 44 Mr Joyce, because of his unawareness [of] a status as a New Zealand citizen, if indeed that turns out to the case, would not be disqualified," he told the ABC's Lateline.
"The legal issue here is not whether he is a citizen of New Zealand," Senator Brandis said, citing advice from the solicitor-general.

To be honest, the Government was barely hanging in, and whether or not Joyce will stay is sort of irrelevant. This is just another in a long line of humiliations from the Government. They were already way behind in the polls, and this makes them look desperately stupid and stupidly desperate.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
All right given ignorance is a defence (???) that is no longer the case so now he must be barred from sitting ????????? until at least the citizenship has been revoked

end of section 44

shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'd love someone to ask Brandis whether he'd accept "ignorance" as a defence from someone who's inadvertently claimed incorrect payments from Centrelink.

You'd think our Attorney-General should have some general clue about the law. Sigh.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's got to be a huge comfort to Mr Trump to know that Australia has his back vis a vis North Korea and everything. A HUGE comfort.