Non-fiction editor recommendations

Mike_DJ

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a professional editing service for a non-fiction manuscript. The service should cover standard (grammar, spelling, punctuation) and advanced editing (structure, flow). The manuscript will go the agent and publisher route afterwards but as English isn't my fist language I prefer to do a copy edit before. I browsed the (huge) editing market and shortlisted:

Amazon Create Space Editing Services
Wiley Editing Services
Bubble Cow

Create Space and Wiley are brand names but I didn't find any information here. Does somebody have experience with one of these services?

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
I would avoid CreateSpace's contracted services. They sub-contract all of that stuff out, and the author has no contact with the person actually doing the work, so there's no back and forth or querying. That's far from an optimal method of editing, in my opinion.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
If your only concern is making sure the English reads like a native wrote it, I would suggest that a copyeditor may be overkill. It can also be a red flag to agents if you say that your work was professionally edited--it can read as "I don't know how to edit my own work." I would suggest that you might instead look into getting a native English speaker to read over your work. It would certainly save a chunk of money.

Disclaimer: I am neither editor nor agent, just a writer who procrastinates on writing by reading QueryShark and other sites (like this one).

ETA: If you do go that route, make sure the English speaker is someone whose opinion you'd trust. There's a whole breed of linguistic mistakes reserved for the native speakers of a language.

Last edited:

Mike_DJ

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

@Old Hack: Thanks for the link. Interestingly this thread isn't included in the results when doing an advanced search for BubbleCow.

@Sleeping Cat Books: Exactly this is my concern - not being able to contact the person who did the editing. Still, they make a professional impression, have a short turnaround time, and a good price.

@JetFueledCar: No problem to tell the agent that I don’t have the skills to edit my work. I’m not an English native speaker. And I think it’s too much work for somebody to do it as a favor. Most editors charge around 400-600 USD for 25k words. I think this is a fair price for the effort.

While looking for further editors these 2 names popped up quite often:
http://www.editingforauthors.com/
http://cornerstones.co.uk

Any experience with them?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

@Old Hack: Thanks for the link. Interestingly this thread isn't included in the results when doing an advanced search for BubbleCow.

@Sleeping Cat Books: Exactly this is my concern - not being able to contact the person who did the editing. Still, they make a professional impression, have a short turnaround time, and a good price.

@JetFueledCar: No problem to tell the agent that I don’t have the skills to edit my work. I’m not an English native speaker. And I think it’s too much work for somebody to do it as a favor. Most editors charge around 400-600 USD for 25k words. I think this is a fair price for the effort.

While looking for further editors these 2 names popped up quite often:
http://www.editingforauthors.com/
http://cornerstones.co.uk

Any experience with them?

Cornerstones is good.

If your only concern is making sure the English reads like a native wrote it, I would suggest that a copyeditor may be overkill. It can also be a red flag to agents if you say that your work was professionally edited--it can read as "I don't know how to edit my own work." I would suggest that you might instead look into getting a native English speaker to read over your work. It would certainly save a chunk of money.

Disclaimer: I am neither editor nor agent, just a writer who procrastinates on writing by reading QueryShark and other sites (like this one).

ETA: If you do go that route, make sure the English speaker is someone whose opinion you'd trust. There's a whole breed of linguistic mistakes reserved for the native speakers of a language.

I agree that writers are generally better off not paying editors prior to submission to an agent: we've already discussed this with the OP in his previous threads:

[h=3]Professional copy edit before or after agent submission[/h]
[h=3]Global Publishing[/h]