AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Contests For High School Students?

Contests For High School Students?

I have a plot in my head that involves 4 girls getting together to accomplish a single goal, such as becoming a music group. The plan is have them perform and accidentally enthrall the audience with their music. Like a subtle magic thingy.

I've seen plenty of school talent shows on TV/movies - do those actually exist? Can a prize even be offered?

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

School talent school certainly did exist back in the 1960s. I sang in them. Not sure about now with the cutbacks in theater and music programs.

Ours did not have prizes, but there's no reason you couldn't have one. You just need to figure out who's providing it. The school? (Not too likely, but possible.) One of the student clubs? (More likely; that's what I'd probably go with.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

figuring it all out
    Yes, talent shows still happen at high schools (I finished high school 4 years ago). Battle of the Bands was always popular. And House Music competitions where groups compete to win points/trophies for their school house.

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    A simple Google search for "high school talent show" yielded multiple YouTube videos of kids performing at high school talent shows, so, yes, I'd say they still happen. As mentioned upthread, though, I doubt all schools, particularly in some parts of America, still have them - many are down to the marrow due to budget cuts. But if your invented high school has a talent show, clearly that's a Thing.

Prizes for in-school activities would likely be simple and cheap: a ribbon, a chance to perform at an assembly or school dance, maybe a small denomination gift certificate. If you want cash prizes or something more substantial, you might want to move the talent show outside the school - a local theater, a community center, etc.
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

Yeah, I guess, I asked a silly question about them still happening. XD

I had a feeling prizes would be slim, I suppose. I can't believe I forgot about theaters and community centers! Probably because I've never experienced it before. Hmmmm...

Now I'll go search for talent contests at theaters. Or something like that. I'm terrible with "key words". Hehe.

Thanks. XD

I remember when I was in private school (for a year and a half), we would have the option of participating in the school talent show. I never did anything, but I remember one of my classmates had an Elvis impersonation.

I went to four or five different public schools in three different states, but none of them ever had a school talent show. I do remember one of my classmates in fourth grade was a member of a family-based gospel group that cut records and performed live and stuff. We were all vaguely impressed, but my classmates wondered why his family had picked gospel, and not rap or something. :P

I don't imagine prizes would be large amounts of cash, or a free trip to Hollywood, etc. like TV talent shows. Even a big-name judge would be unlikely. But, if you need a sub-plot, getting donations from local businesses might be a 'thing'. If a local music store supplies instruments for Band, they might provide a gift-certificate, etc. (Remember, there will be non-musical talents there as well - a bookstore would be a likely bet, or tickets to a performance by a 'name' band.)
    Last edited by frimble3; 08-14-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Yeah. I thought of the prize being related to something they all desire. Like a trip or gift card, or something. And it's a talent show, and music brings them together.

I've chosen to go with a local theatre who does it like annually for a certain age group or whatever.

And now I must figure out the prizes. Time for Google!