Wonder Woman and disability

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Accidentally stumbled on this article: https://medium.com/@carlyrm/the-wonder-woman-movies-treatment-of-disability-34dd3df945a5

Seems more appropriate to have this discussion here rather than hijack the actual Wonder Woman thread.

I quite appreciated how they handled the sniper's (I don't remember anyone's name anymore) PTSD. This part, however... didn't even process for me as I was watching it, and I'm trying to figure out how to feel about it. IIRC, I moreso noticed that one of the only female characters outside of the Amazons was evil.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's quite acceptable to have an evil female character. And Dr. Poison was a more deeply drawn character than your typical femme fatale.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's quite acceptable to have an evil female character. And Dr. Poison was a more deeply drawn character than your typical femme fatale.

Oh yes, I agree. And I am very glad that she did it because she was a "do unto others" sort, and that whatshisface the evil general treated her as an equal and a comrade. Those outweigh, for me, her status as a villain.

However. I am still wrestling with how I feel about her disability and the way it was portrayed and handled in the film. Those tropes were all in the general, typical, harmful vein as regards disabled characters. (TV Tropes actually has pages on a few of what I'm calling "designated evil disabilities," namely albinism and dwarfism, along with a general trope called "Evil Cripple.") I wish there was going to be more WW in that time period so they could try to bring her back and rectify some of it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Villains that have some kind of deformity or disability, often derived from their own evil acts, is an old old trope (from Davros to Palpatine to Voldemort to.. the list goes on and on). I admit it flew over my head too. I didn't even think of her deformity as a disability, though of course it was. I assumed that the character had, perhaps, been disfigured by her experiments with corrosive gasses, so maybe it was "fitting." These things shouldn't go unexamined, though.

I suspect the most serious problem is the overall paucity of more positive (and neutral) portrayals of people with disabilities. I don't think anyone thinks that everyone with a disability should be "good" or that villains should always be able bodied and never harmed in any way by their own evil magic or experiments, any more than protagonists and support characters should never be disabled, but things are pretty one sided overall.

I did like the fact that they made Etta a sympathetic woman of some size, as she was in the original WW comics. I also liked that some of the Amazons were pretty beefy (not fat, but muscular and big boned), the way strong, athletic women tend to be in real life.

I suppose it's too much to expect WW herself to look like a real athlete or have some scars from her own training, instead of being a slender, small boned model type, but there has been some progress, at least.

Still a ways to go, though.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I suppose it's too much to expect WW herself to look like a real athlete or have some scars from her own training, instead of being a slender, small boned model type, but there has been some progress, at least.

She's a creation given life by the eternally randy Zeus. Given the incestuous pantheon of ancient Greece, she could never have been other than this, I'd say. I'm positive that Zeus had a creepy "Maybe..." in his head by making her like this.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, she's perhaps the only actor playing a major superhero right now who has served in the military. She's not some "small-boned model" just because she's classically beautiful.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned this in the WW thread, but I think that the biggest disservice the movie did to Dr. Poison was not to make her Ares' alter-ego. The moment where she and Steve had their interaction at the gala made me think it was possible, and it would have been an interesting twist to see such a powerful character hide as someone considered so weak. (Not to mention it would have spared us Thewlis' awful transformation into a muscle-man at the end.)

With the sniper, he was also done a disservice. Not because he had PTSD, but because it was handled so clumsily. The nightmares were more of an insert-style mention, and then his one attempt to use a gun failed. It highlighted how little characterization was given to the supporting cast.

In a similar vein, Eugene Brave-Rock's character introduces himself as the Blackfoot trickster god when he meets Diana, she doesn't hesitate to believe him, so why didn't we get to see any trickster-style magic from him, even though there were scenes where it could have come in handy. It was a neat aside, dropped in with no pay-off.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In a similar vein, Eugene Brave-Rock's character introduces himself as the Blackfoot trickster god when he meets Diana, she doesn't hesitate to believe him, so why didn't we get to see any trickster-style magic from him, even though there were scenes where it could have come in handy. It was a neat aside, dropped in with no pay-off.

My understanding was that this was left open so that we could choose to believe him or not. Diana's believing him could have been knowing it's true or it could have been being both too trusting and also coming from a place where gods are believed in.