AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Greetings and Salutations

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Greetings and Salutations

I joined Absolute Write in 2013 but have no recollection of doing so - at the time I had a five year old, a three year old, and two year old twins so I ask forgiveness for this.

I've been writing since 2012, done some indie-publishing but now that the kids are a week from ALL being in elementary school I'm ready to throw myself into the nitty gritty business of getting traditionally published.

I just got into Viable Paradise 21 and my future roomie (@dmbeucler) is very savvy and sent me a ton of useful information - including a suggestion to join Absolute Write. Thus I tried to join and discovered I was already a member...

I've got a fully-drafted novel and the first 8k words will be workshopped at VP, then I plan to submit to agents and prepare myself mentally for the rejections to follow.

Anyway, I've read many of the FAQs and Guides and hope I haven't missed anything! What are your favorite forums? Where should I get started. It's a little overwhelming!!

Guang Ming Whitley
    Last edited by gmwhitley; 08-12-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add my roomie's AW handle

practical experience, FTW Dmbeucler's Avatar
    Yay! I'm glad you found it!

I lurk a lot on
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/foru...ckground-Check

and

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/foru...-Ask-the-Agent

and you will probably get some great info from

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/foru...apyrus-or-Clay

and

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/foru...Art-amp-Design

For the projects you are working on now!

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
    at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
    Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
    Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
    50 posts. Donít make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
    Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other membersí works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
    Hereís how to Promote With Aplomb.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

Welcome to Absolute Write! Hope you'll find what you need here.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwhitley View Post
    . . . at the time I had a five year old, a three year old, and two year old twins so I ask forgiveness for this.
    Okay, I forgive you, but the twins make it harder to do so. No chance of giving away the five-year-old, huh?

, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwhitley View Post
    I joined Absolute Write in 2013 but have no recollection of doing so - at the time I had a five year old, a three year old, and two year old twins so I ask forgiveness for this.

I've been writing since 2012, done some indie-publishing but now that the kids are a week from ALL being in elementary school I'm ready to throw myself into the nitty gritty business of getting traditionally published.

I just got into Viable Paradise 21 and my future roomie (@dmbeucler) is very savvy and sent me a ton of useful information - including a suggestion to join Absolute Write. Thus I tried to join and discovered I was already a member...

I've got a fully-drafted novel and the first 8k words will be workshopped at VP, then I plan to submit to agents and prepare myself mentally for the rejections to follow.

Anyway, I've read many of the FAQs and Guides and hope I haven't missed anything! What are your favorite forums? Where should I get started. It's a little overwhelming!!

Guang Ming Whitley
    Hi there and welcome!

Nice to see more VPers. We've got a lot of alums here.

yoghurt elf say wheeee! yoghurtelf's Avatar
    Welcome! (again...sorta )

I can see why you would have got distracted by all those kids, and forgotten you joined here!

My fave forums are the Share Your Work forums, but I know there's a lot more to AW than just those, like political discussions, etc. I'm here for the serious business of getting my novels into a publishable state, though, hence why I stick mostly to the SYW forums.
    W O R D + S T U F F (a writing blog)
    earthcrossing @ last.fm

15 novels complete, most of which need editing! I also have some twinkles in my eye

Thanks for all the tips! Beginning my new writing distraction as an AW lurker. ;-)

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Hi, GM. The forum is quite large, so I suggest finding one or two threads that stick out to you and reading the stickies, getting involved in a few conversations, and go from there. Finding people who write the same genre as you do may help as well. Anyway, welcome and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz Connelly View Post
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Okay, I forgive you, but the twins make it harder to do so. No chance of giving away the five-year-old, huh?

, anyway.
    We decided to keep them all. Unless Disney makes an offer.