Quote Originally Posted by Twick View Post
I would love to have an interviewer sit down with Trump and start off with: "The NeoNazi movement considers your daughter a race-traitor and would like to murder your son-in-law and grandchildren. Your opinion on that?"
That would be incredible.

An interesting take from a local pastor of color was that what's happening in Charlottesville can be seen as a blessing in disguise. (He wrote this before it was revealed that someone had died, I should note.) His logic is that events like Charlottesville do more to advance the cause of equality, by making it harder for white people to deny that racism exists and is a problem. I think he's onto something, but I haven't fully processed it yet, or figured out how to make it work in practice. The racists I know don't think they're racist, because they're passively racist. They see themselves as different from proactively racist people, such as those marching in Charlottesville. They are far more offended by the label "racist" than they are actual racism, because in their minds they don't bother or hurt anybody. They just mind their own and don't see other people's troubles as something that should bother them, and sure, maybe they use some offensive terms behind closed doors, but why's everything got to be so PC, anyway? So where I get stuck is how to make people with that mindset connect their views and conversations with what's happening in Charlottesville.