Nazi Playbook in Action, Charlottesville, VA

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She may be more high profile, but she's not important enough to listen to. I am disappointed that this site even interviewed her. They should have let her speak for herself with what she posted, instead of giving her a chance to make herself look better.

I haven't really seen much of the story outside various comic news sites, so I suspect it was more for comic fandom since she has such high-profile connections to the industry (her cosplay work got her the chance to be the artist's model for an issue of Supergirl).

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't really seen much of the story outside various comic news sites, so I suspect it was more for comic fandom since she has such high-profile connections to the industry (her cosplay work got her the chance to be the artist's model for an issue of Supergirl).

Of course it was for comic fandom. Who else would it be for? I'm saying that even comic fandom does not need to give her a chance to justify herself. Most comic fans I know still didn't know who she was until this came out.

This kind of celebrity annoys me, because a lot of them will follow me or send me friend requests because they want me to follow back/add them, and when I do, they treat me like I'm a fan of theirs, and I could not give a fuck. I am also an indie movie actress, so I see a lot of this on social media. Some people are just trying to network with other fans, and actors and models think it's all about them.

She is not the only person I have seen from that rally exposed in the media, but she is the only one I have seen who somehow convinced a news outlet to publish screenshots she said were of a private message she got from a black person to show how unracist she is.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Has this woman never heard of Native Americans?

Having their populations replaced with mass immigration. (snip) They deserve to exist in their own countries and not be over run and taken over.
Yes. She's another who should think about what she's actually saying. If the First Nations had eradicated the first few boatloads of 'settlers' the world would be a very different place.

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I saw someone say that neutrality only helps the oppressors, never the victims. I was struck by how true that is.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I saw someone say that neutrality only helps the oppressors, never the victims. I was struck by how true that is.

That comes from Elie Wiesel's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, and he oughta know. “We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
One day I hope to hear the true story behind Trump's tweets on Boston - how after he tweeted about "anti-police agitators" he suddenly started condemning racists.

I have a picture in my head of Trump running through the WH screaming "You can have my Twitter after you pry it out of my cold, dead hands!" And Kelly tackling Trump going "Don't tempt me!" The phone flies into Ivanka's hands, who frantically starts typing benevolent platitudes. "Daddy, this is for your own good!"

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
One day I hope to hear the true story behind Trump's tweets on Boston - how after he tweeted about "anti-police agitators" he suddenly started condemning racists.

I can't say for sure, but the 'anti-police agitators" tweet came before the mayor or police chief made any statement, but the others came almost immediately after they both praised the counter-protesters and talked about how peaceful the event had been. I was watching the press conference and his Twitter feed live. What I think is that he saw something on Fox that showed some arrests at the end, when there were some skirmishes and ran with it, as they did.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now some tit for tat right wingers who want to make the left look equally bad (taking their cue from Trump no doubt) want the statue of Lenin removed from the Fremont neighborhood here in Seattle.

Five whole people protested and the poorly informed mayor publicly called for removal of the statue.

Let me give you some background here. It's in the same town that has a giant troll under the bridge holding a VW. It's the town that has an annual Solstice Parade famous for painted naked bicyclists. There's a rocket ship and a sign marking the center of the Universe. There's a famous statue, Waiting for the Interurban which has a dog with a human face and the statue is regularly dressed up for various occasions.

The statue of Lenin is considered artwork by most people, not a celebration of Lenin.
Lenin in Fremont: Right or Wrong?

The presence of this sculpture has evoked a wide range of responses. If art is supposed to make us feel, not just feel good, then this sculpture is a successful work of art. The challenge is to understand that this piece means different things to different people and to learn to listen to each other and respect different opinions. From an artists standpoint, all points of view are valid and important.
The mayor needs to review the reason the statue is there.

Last edited:

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just when I think I've seen the worst...the speech in Phoenix is astonishing.

Where is the bottom of this mess?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a picture in my head of Trump running through the WH screaming "You can have my Twitter after you pry it out of my cold, dead hands!" And Kelly tackling Trump going "Don't tempt me!" The phone flies into Ivanka's hands, who frantically starts typing benevolent platitudes. "Daddy, this is for your own good!"

covfefe

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The link Chris P shared above to a map of Confederate monuments that have been removed was last updated August 28th. Here are two to add to it:

Washington National Cathedral to remove stained glass windows honoring Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson

Charlottesville Council Votes to Remove Confederate Statue After Tense Hearing

The vote would also expedite the relocation of a statue of another Confederate general, Robert E. Lee, that was at the center of a white nationalist demonstration in mid-August that led to the death of a woman after a car plowed into a group of anti-protesters.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
They're back....

Charlottesville mayor slams 'despicable visit' as another torch rally held

Just last night (07OCT17).

On Saturday around 7:40 p.m., a group of about 40 to 50 people, including Spencer, gathered at Emancipation Park, where the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee stands, Charlottesville police said.
The group held a brief rally that police estimated took about five to 10 minutes. They dressed similarly in white shirts and some wore sunglasses in the dark while chanting, "You will not replace us. You will not erase us."
"Hello, Charlottesville. We have a message. We're back and we're going to keep coming back," one speaker said.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The statue of Lenin is considered artwork by most people, not a celebration of Lenin.The mayor needs to review the reason the statue is there.

Many on the Right has never been terribly concerned about nuanced concepts like context. They're great at creating false equivalencies. Some on the Left are bad about these things too, but I don't think anyone can argue that the Confederate statues publicly displayed throughout the south are there to be cautionary, nor that they are there to be satirical, nor that they are they there for their artistic value.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, I saw on TV today that Sean Hannity is interviewing Steve Bannon on his Fox show tonight. Just in case anybody needed a little jolt of adrenalin.

caw