Free AVG No Longer Free?

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
A few days ago, one of my sisters decided it was time to scan the secondary family computer. That computer's running on Vista and has the free version of AVG. According to her, AVG found something, but refused to remove it unless she upgraded to the paid version. Since Sis is as tech savvy as a chicken, and I've never had problems with AVG even when I had the free version, I didn't think much about it. I looked information about it this morning because she was very insistent that the problem was real. Turns out there's at least one other person in the world with a similar problem (4th complaint).

It seems to be a recent development. Does anyone know what's going on with AVG? Thanks.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she downloaded a free trial of one of the other versions instead of the free one. Delete it and download it again.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned that possibility to her yesterday. She told me that 1) she was not the one who installed it, and 2) she's absolutely, positively sure that it's not a free trial.

I may have to check that out myself; as I said, Sis isn't very tech savvy. I may have to do it secretly, too. The person who installed AVG on that computer yells if you so much as hint they made a mistake.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It may be she ran it and it found "problems" it will not fix without an upgrade, like unused folders, sad passwords, etc., etc. All the little extra stuff that they'll tell you will optimize your machine is usually under a subscription model, while basic virus stuff is free. So it may have alerted her to something she can do herself with a defrag or better passwords or killing off unused stuff.