This is a real thing!!

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
The setting of the novel I'm currently taking out for what is hopefully the final full rewrite is a "pre-college program" for exceptional high school students to get a feel for the college environment, get some classes out of the way, blah blah blah...

I made it up.

It's real.

Okay, it's not exactly how I had described it--but it's real! The exact college I based the campus off of does offer high school girls (it's a women's college) access to a variety of summer classes. Which means, instead of handwaving everything, I can take what's actually real about this actually real program, combine it with my actual experience as a high school sophomore at Earlham Explore-A-College, and make something real.

I'm super excited. Research is way more fun than I thought it was.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
It's fun to know that something you "made up" is more plasuable than you first thought. Granted, my stories about as far from plasuable as you can get, but after hearing that some quantum physicists believe the universe may just work like one, big quantum computer the "reality warping" that happens in my stories goes from total fantasy to maybe something that could sorta kinda be a tiny bit plausable, with proper research of course. So I've been starting from square one and reading up as much as I can on physics, both normal and quantum, just to see if the possibility exists that said "computer" that is our universe could in theory be "hacked" or messed with by a much more advance civilization...and I've pretty much found that that there really is not enough info on the idea/topic yet to say with any kind of certainty whether that possibility exists...which just means I've found a fertile ground for speculative fiction!

So yeah, research can be fun like that. Embrace it...but just try not to get lost in it, as I find that I can sometimes get so distracted by research that I put off...you know...actually writing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
During her launch party for WANT, Cindy Pon talked about how her near-future sci-fi elements ended up becoming real things (or even more advanced than she imagined) between when she wrote it and when it got published. I thought that was really cool.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in school some kids were in something called Upward Bound, which sounds like what you describe. It's still around, but different from how I remember it.

That's cool your idea really exists.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Oh yeah, totally real. When I was a senior, I did "dual enrollment," spending half my day at the high school for three or four classes, then heading to the local community college to take the rest of my classes there. It was a great experience, and all my credits transferred so I got a leg up on the other freshman when it came to picking classes. It's been *cough* years, but I can answer questions if you have any.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
To clarify, I absolutely knew high school students could take college classes. I did it twice, once at Earlham's Explore-A-College (I can't find any evidence anymore that this is still around and that makes me sad), and once studying Japanese at the community college when I was a sophomore in high school.

...Those were presented in reverse chronological order. Just to confuse you. :p

Anyway, I DIDN'T know the actual college I based this book's setting on did such a thing. And they do. I need to adjust some things--the real version has high schoolers and college students sharing classes, which I might keep and just adjust the cast since we're going in for a full rewrite. It doesn't provide housing for the students, though, and that I just have to outright change because the book requires the students be isolated and far from home. (Horror is fun... Also, the main characters are pen pals who get to room together for the duration of the program.)

What's REALLY different about this is that the real thing is a four-week program, not all summer. Which actually adds a nice deadline for the villain that I can use to create tension. :D

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
So... hypothetically... What's a tactful way to email the leaders of this program and say "I need to know how many students you usually have in this program so I know how many victims I have for this novel"?

Also I lied, students do live on-campus. Holy moly, that is expensive.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think they'd have the enrollment someplace in their info on their site.

There's also stuff like Duke's TIP, which is also hella expensive for what it is, but which you can do as young as 7th grade. Of course, you can also just have your 7th grader take the SAT for the like $75 fee and then enroll the kid in a public uni's summer class for whatever that'd cost, without the froufrou, and save a bundle, but ... :D

Last edited:

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think they'd have the enrollment someplace in their info on their site.

There's also stuff like Duke's TIP, which is also hella expensive for what it is, but which you can do as young as 7th grade. Of course, you can also just have your 7th grader take the SAT for the like $75 fee and then enroll the kid in a public uni's summer class for whatever that'd cost, without the froufrou, and save a bundle, but ... :D

I couldn't find it anywhere on the summer program pages. Sent off a brief email asking that and a couple other things that were mentioned without specifics. Won't hear back until Monday at the earliest, because I decided to do this research on a Friday night. ^^'

Also when I say expensive, I mean a four-week course costs more than my family paid (with financial aid) for a full YEAR. And they don't offer financial aid to high schoolers.

Damn, that reminds me of another question I was gonna ask... Might be for the best. It's a lot harder to ask that one tactfully, and I'm not sure I care about the answer.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The TIP is $4k-$5k for three weeks last I heard.

Depends on the school. I mean for Duke that's not expensive for a summer class, but for an in-state public school, you could get a full summer course for much less.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
The TIP is $4k-$5k for three weeks last I heard.

Depends on the school. I mean for Duke that's not expensive for a summer class, but for an in-state public school, you could get a full summer course for much less.

$8k+ for four weeks, and they encourage you to bring extra. Granted, it is two full courses.

This school cost, when I went there, some $50k per year--but very generous financial aid policies meant I paid somewhere around 10% of that.

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Kids In my high school were allowed to start taking college classes so long as they were AP (advanced placement) students as soon as they started Junior year. So some kids finished their Bachelor's degree two years after graduating highschool.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Johns Hopkins has a summer program too. I'd bet there are a whole bunch of programs like this.

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
Harvard does this via the Extension School. Every summer, high school kids mill around the Yard, living in dorms and attending class. It's a great program, and far less selective than Harvard College.

AielloJ1

Registered
Reaction score
That's always interesting when something you create actually has a place in the real world. It definitely can work to validate your ideas in the sense it's clearly logical if it's really out there. It also allows for you to take liberties with your idea because the base of it is something you don't have to make people accept, since it exists.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI, but not only is this possible, but teens interested in specific topics can do programs designed for them to gauge their interest pre-college: anything from medical to national security organizations have such things. I remember looking into one at the NSA.