AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: August 21 2017 North American Total Solar Eclipse

August 21 2017 North American Total Solar Eclipse

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse. This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen, will stretch from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. Observers outside this path will still see a partial solar eclipse where the moon covers part of the sun's disk.
    Nasa Solar Eclipse Page Who, What, When and How

Main NASA page with resources

Local libraries with Eclipse initiatives

I still remember, vividly, the one in 1970.

Watch safely, but do watch.

I wish I could. Finances prevent me from heading up to see it.
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    Michelangelo

"You don't need thick skin, you just need perseverance." leifwright

I've seen the one in 1999. Well... seen it...

Went to Metz in France with a couple of friends. Clear skies all day. Just before totality, clouds came rolling in.

Still, it was very special.
    We dance round in a ring and suppose,
    but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.

-Robert Frost-

We were going to travel to see it, but Lady Gaga is playing that day! But I will be seeing it during the day!
    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London (SPOILER ALERT: I won!) http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

practical experience, FTW Twick's Avatar
    Any luck this will scare Trump voters into thinking it's the end of the world and retreating into their Alex Jones Fallout Shelters for the next few years?

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twick View Post
    Any luck this will scare Trump voters into thinking it's the end of the world and retreating into their Alex Jones Fallout Shelters for the next few years?
    We can only hope... though the real and lasting damage isn't being done by those voters, but by the people those voters helped put in power.
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    I'm beign stupid/daring and heading to Charleston for it. My in-laws live there, so we get a family visit and no fighting over hotels. We will, however, have to fight traffic to get home at a reasonable hour.
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Blog (updated 10/18/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
    We were going to travel to see it, but Lady Gaga is playing that day! But I will be seeing it during the day!
    Oooh! I'm seeing her in November with my daughter and best friend. Can't wait!!!

We will be in Florida, watching the eclipse from the beach. I bought Bill Nye eclipse glasses for the three of us.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.E. Lawrence

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Going to camp over night in Madras, OR with my son. Expensive camp site but I didn't want to risk anything more dodgy like hoping for a parking space and ending up stuck in traffic outside the center line.

I went to Mexico in 91 for the big one (6 minutes of totality) and the clouds rolled in just before totality. In 79 I was in Australia when the eclipse path crossed the US. I've been waiting for this one for a while.

practical experience, FTW Cobalt Jade's Avatar
    I'm heading down to Newport, Oregon to see it, staying with friends. Already there are traffic warnings. We might leave early Sunday morning to avoid it. Luckily we can hang around the area for a while after, leaving Wednesday or Thursday morning. I am excited! Hope the weather is good.

Got my eclipse glasses recently. I was even stoked just to look directly at the sun, so the eclipse should blow my mind. >90% totality at my house.
    I wrote my way into this mess, and I'll write my way out.

Somebody's going to warn Trump, right? Somebody's going to explain what it is, ideally before it happens?

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    Somebody's going to warn Trump, right? Somebody's going to explain what it is, ideally before it happens?
    Why bother? He'll just blame Obama for the sun going out, and take personal credit for it returning to life. And his followers will believe him.
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone RedRajah's Avatar
    Or the Dominionists will fap themselves into a frothing fury at this being a SIGN~! that God wants him to drop Teh Bombz.

Monster cat - Destroyer of boxes Fingers's Avatar
    Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
    I live about a half hour drive from the nearest area of totality. I plan to stay home and not have to deal with all the people who are going to be here from somewhere else. Cobalt Jade, if youre going to have to travel on hwy 101 you might want to think about leaving Saturday night. They are predicting massive traffic jams on all the hwys in or near the area of totality. Next weekend is the perseids, so I will run up to the mountains for a couple of hours to watch them.
    "Don't worry about what other people think about you. Most of them aren't used to thinking much, so they aren't very good at it."
    Harry Johnson

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    3 hours from totality here in Denver (Casper WY is the closest point in our path).

I'll be teaching - we may stop briefly to peruse it. Be careful with both your eyes and your cameras:

For your eyes: it can be very damaging, and the knock-off "eclipse glasses" are already flooding the market.

For your camera: You need a special kind of filter to prevent damage to your sensor - yes even mobile phones can be ruined, so don't try to photograph it with a naked lens (properly treated filters usually run about $175 from reputable places like B&H), and of course most reputable places are out of stock or back-ordered. So if you don't have a filter for your camera, it's not worth ruining the one you have
    2017 Goals
    Read 50 of these books
    Come up with a good book idea and actually write it!

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    Oregon is freaking out over the influx of people coming (they're estimating as many as 1.5 million from out of state) and the extreme fire danger this summer. They're worried people from out of state won't heed the campfire ban. Wishing everyone fun and good viewing!
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology

practical experience, FTW
    We're planning on running up I-15 from Utah to Idaho. Hope that traffic isn't too heavy, it's a fairly deserted area.

The stars at night, are big and bright...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Maxwell View Post
    I'm beign stupid/daring and heading to Charleston for it. My in-laws live there, so we get a family visit and no fighting over hotels. We will, however, have to fight traffic to get home at a reasonable hour.
    I'm going to Charleston as well. I made my reservations back in January, and even then hotels were already selling out. I'm staying at a B&B in the Battery and intend to just walk out to Oyster Point to view the eclipse, because I suspect the entire city is going to be a parking lot on the 21st.

I'm really looking forward to getting some writing done on this trip, because an author friend of mine told me one of his favorite ways to break writer's block is to travel somewhere he's never been. Based on previous traveling experience, I'm inclined to agree.

ETA: If anyone misses the total eclipse this year, there will be another one in April 2024:

Last edited by Tanatra; 08-11-2017 at 05:57 AM.
    All this time we're burning like bonfires in the dark
    A billion other blazes are shooting off their sparks
    Every spark a drifting ember of desire
    To fall upon the earth and spark another fire

practical experience, FTW nahalwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanatra View Post
    I'm going to Charleston as well. I made my reservations back in January, and even then hotels were already selling out. I'm staying at a B&B in the Battery and intend to just walk out to Oyster Point to view the eclipse, because I suspect the entire city is going to be a parking lot on the 21st.
    We're heading to Charleston too! We got a hotel months ago and it was really booked. Hoping the weather plays nice though, sounds like it might be cloudy/rainy. We know it will be crazy busy but we're used to that in tourist-land, so just hoping to have a couple of days to see what we can see otherwise too.

Stop by and take a look at my art!

practical experience, FTW dianeP's Avatar
    Major brain fart. The other night while walking with my hubby, I looked at the nearly full moon and tried to count to see if it would be full again in time for the eclipse. It wouldn't be full and I told my husband wondering how it would affect the eclipse. Of course he said the moon is always ALL there no matter what.
    But I'll be watching the partial from home.

Tis the Season for Fright! c.m.n.'s Avatar
    It's going to be crazy mad here with traffic. We're right in the path of totality. People are already renting out houses and apartments for just the day at around $3,000.

Luckily my work has already said they'll close for the duration of totality, and they're buying us glasses to view it!

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    I bought a box of glasses. I have the day off, and my kid is visiting, so I'll be watching it from somewhere in the Bay. I'm handing out glasses to coworkers, friends, and neighbours.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dianeP View Post
    Major brain fart. The other night while walking with my hubby, I looked at the nearly full moon and tried to count to see if it would be full again in time for the eclipse. It wouldn't be full and I told my husband wondering how it would affect the eclipse. Of course he said the moon is always ALL there no matter what.
    But I'll be watching the partial from home.
    By brain fart you mean you figured it out, right? A full moon happens when the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 08-12-2017 at 06:51 AM.

The stars at night, are big and bright...
    Quote Originally Posted by nahalwi View Post
    We're heading to Charleston too! We got a hotel months ago and it was really booked. Hoping the weather plays nice though, sounds like it might be cloudy/rainy. We know it will be crazy busy but we're used to that in tourist-land, so just hoping to have a couple of days to see what we can see otherwise too.
    I just checked NOAA, and it seems next week Charleston is going to be caught in the remnants of the storm systems we've been dealing with here in Texas. Those cloud/rain chances dwindle going into next weekend though, and with clear skies in TX now, we may just luck out.

However, I'm not sure about Oregon. A clear, sunny day seems like a real long shot there.
    All this time we're burning like bonfires in the dark
    A billion other blazes are shooting off their sparks
    Every spark a drifting ember of desire
    To fall upon the earth and spark another fire

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast