August 21 2017 North American Total Solar Eclipse

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
UGH. They're calling for 40% chance of rain right​ around the time of totality. Praying hard it isn't so.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! That sucks.

I don't suppose you are in the NE corner of Kansas?

Central, Salina. We're a bit further away from the center line of the eclipse than from my home in Wyoming, but not too bad. At least I'll watch it with Mom and two sisters. You?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! They gave out free eclipse glasses at my conference today! I guess they decided to give in that nobody will be at the sessions.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
We have threats of a "marine layer," a.k.a morning cloud cover. If not, we're still outside of totality, but will get good coverage nonetheless - and should be able to see it less than a mile from home. (Got trees that may block our view from our property.)

We have eclipse glasses, but I made a couple pinhole viewers with cereal boxes in case they aren't usable (the cardboard frames may have been bent in transport - haven't looked at them yet.)

If all else fails, sounds like it'll be well covered online.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Columbia SC and the excitement is palpable. Restaurants are full of eclipsers that have come here from all over the world. Many things are closing tomorrow (banks, my kids school, I'm sure there are others.) My husband works at a hospital and they've devised a disaster plan just in case bedlam happens and they are overrun. (Feels a little Y2K to me.) The whole atmosphere here is amazing.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This eclipse is nowhere near me, but my house is in the path of totality for the eclipse coming our way on 08 April 2024.

I can therefore absolutely predict the weather here for 08 April 2024: Complete overcast, with rain.

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
We only get about 72% here in western NY, but we're in the path of totality in 2024. I figure if I order them next week, we might be able to get eclipse glasses in time.

We made eclipse viewers but so far aren't seeing anything, even though the eclipse (what we get of it) has started here. Watching it on TV has been more fun so far.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I could see 50%. It was so cool! Never seen one before!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was cool. I think the 1979 one got darker where I was than this one here, and I was in Uganda for the 2014 East Africa, which got darker still. This time I had the glasses so it's the best one yet.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The number predicted here was 68%. That was what I have to guess what I saw. It was enough to cause a little dimming.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Well that was insane. Here in Columbia SC, 8 minutes before totality, we were looking up at a giant rain cloud that had parked itself over the sun. It was already dusk-like outside and my kids were getting seriously bummed out because other people in town could see it from where they were. So we hopped in the car and drove down the highway hopping to drive past the damn cloud. Then, magically, moments before totality, the sun came out. We got off the highway, handed a pair of glasses to a homeless guy standing by the exit and watched it with him. It was dark as night with stars visible, and a vague pink sunset-like glow on the horizon. Amazing.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was amazing! I’m so thankful I got to witness it. During the brief totality phase, lightning streaked through the darkness, but stopped immediately after. Shortly before it, the birds fell silent. The only animals that fussed (shortly before total eclipse): a Carolina Wren—the ‘scolding’ call; and a grey squirrel atop a wooden fence—more frozen statue-like (and approachable!) than verbalizing its displeasure.

Though the clouds were a gang of get-in-the-way thugs, I got lots of pictures and drone footage… which I’m looking forward to re-witnessing!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
We got about 80% here in Pittsburgh. It was kind of a picnic atmosphere in Point State Park downtown (it's at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers to for the Ohio) and a lot of people shared glasses and stuff. Plenty of people on all the shores of the rivers, too.

The light was noticeably dimmer. Very odd feeling, too. Just...not quite right.

Even though I had proper eye-wear, part of me is still freaking out that I looked, and I totally expect my vision to go tomorrow. I know that's just psychological.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even though I had proper eye-wear, part of me is still freaking out that I looked, and I totally expect my vision to go tomorrow. I know that's just psychological.

Me, too. ... I just know it! My retinas are fried. I can feel it already.

It's definitely a psychological thing. We'll feel better when we can still see tomorrow! ;)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Having things to do, I stayed inside and watched darkness descend, so the house looked like a winter morning when a massive storm cloud passes by. Mr. Siri walked to the PO, and some kindly neighbors lent him a pair of glasses to watch a bit. 98/99% totality here.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We got about 80% here in Pittsburgh. It was kind of a picnic atmosphere in Point State Park downtown (it's at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers to for the Ohio) and a lot of people shared glasses and stuff. Plenty of people on all the shores of the rivers, too.

The light was noticeably dimmer. Very odd feeling, too. Just...not quite right.

OMG I've been like rubbing my eyes, checking, thinking they feel funny, etc. -- and I looked briefly a few times through proper glasses (we had a max of 70% and it was cloudy to boot, sun was only visible intermittantly) but I'm all 'but glare off the phone I was blindly holding up ... the nose pieces aren't tight..'

It amazes me how cavalier and uneducated adults walking around seeming otherwise generally competent are. There was a woman on the local news who said she planned to go outside at work, when asked by a reporter, and when he asked if she had proper glasses, she said she had sunglasses. He said no, you need eclipse glasses. Woman: 'really? I've never heard of those -- it's different?' Jesus.

Love the pic of Trump looking up directly into the sun, without any protection.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
OMG I've been like rubbing my eyes, checking, thinking they feel funny, etc. -- and I looked briefly a few times through proper glasses (we had a max of 70% and it was cloudy to boot, sun was only visible intermittantly) but I'm all 'but glare off the phone I was blindly holding up ... the nose pieces aren't tight..'

It amazes me how cavalier and uneducated adults walking around seeming otherwise generally competent are. There was a woman on the local news who said she planned to go outside at work, when asked by a reporter, and when he asked if she had proper glasses, she said she had sunglasses. He said no, you need eclipse glasses. Woman: 'really? I've never heard of those -- it's different?' Jesus.

I had to scold at least three people at work for trying to look through things directly at the eclipse. One boy looked through the pinhole of a paper that was meant to use to make a shadow version of the eclipse. He spent the rest of the morning complaining that his eyes hurt. Another grabbed the shaded goggles we have here at work to look through, then took different colored bottles to look through. A girl was like, "I'm just going to look for a second." I kept having to tell them to stop. We had binoculars that made an imprint on the ground (the best tool in the end), the pinhole paper and a cereal box version of the pinhole trick. We even had a Health and Safety sheet out about what NOT to do with the eclipse, and still people kept saying, "Maybe just look for a second."

We use our eyes all day long. We count tiny bugs under a microscope. Let's not ruin our eyes.