Author bio: What if it changes after publishing?

mbalge

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on releasing my memoir in February and in my author bio I state that I'm graduating from college in April 2018 (technically I'm graduating in June but I'll have my final marks by the end of April). I don't want to have to wait until the end of April to release my book though. Should I update the bio in the books (ebook, paperback and hardcover) by the end of the year? Would I have to get new ISBNs?

I'm open to any suggestions, thanks!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why you would change it--I'd expect a bio to be current as of when you published. It would be fine to say "She has been studying basket-weaving at Twisted Reeds University, and expects to graduate in June, 2018."

If readers are that curious about whether you actually graduate on time, post a note on your webpage, or Author's Page on Amazon.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
What Marlys says. Current when published. Unless you're planning to update all versions at every new life event. That's what webpages are for.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I usually keep my bios general about stuff that doesn't change too quickly. I wouldn't put in something I know will change next month. So that's an approach to consider. Even if it did change though, people don't expect bios in books to be constantly updated unless it's a new edition or something.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How about, "Will graduate in 2018"? Then you don't have to worry about this.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could write something like "Mbalge studied writing at University of Michigan." It's true now, it will be true later.

mbalge

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help! I haven't decided yet how I'll write it, but now I'm not worried about things having to change :)