Is “foreigner” an offensive word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
One of my betas told me I’d used the word “foreigner” too often in my MS. Another said the word had offensive overtones.

I’m not from the US, so I didn't know “foreigner” is politically incorrect. I suppose now with the rising xenophobia, it might indeed be a very sensitive issue.

I changed “foreign students” to “international students.” and I changed to “non-Idyllan” some other instances of foreigner.

Here are a few examples of lines that have this word. What other word should I use in them?

There are some places I can substitute “non-Idyllan” for foreigner. But that won't work in all instances. I could try outsider for some but I fear that would be considered equally offensive.

Or was my beta being too careful? Maybe what I wrote is ok?

Here are the lines:

"But the arrival of any foreigner is big news in Idylla."

“I thought it was easier for a camel to poke a rich man in the eye with a needle than for a foreigner to enter the Kingdom of Idylla.”

“Some conspiracy theorists have their own ideas as to why Idylla very rarely allows any foreigner to even visit.”

“The boys find me attractive because I’m the exotic foreigner."

Thanks for any suggestions.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
If it's in dialogue then I think you'll usually be okay, and in fiction in general for the most part, especially fantasy.

I think it's one of those words that has become more sensitive in part because of xenophobia, as you mentioned, and also because the word has lost any usefulness it once had. Even for people who aren't using it in a derogatory way, it's basically become meaningless in countries with an ethnically diverse population. When you level the word "foreigner" at someone else, it means you're making a lot of assumptions about who they are and where they came from. In someplace like present day America, it'd be just as rude to walk up to someone who looks Asian and start speaking Chinese as if they should know it.

Plus, it's not something you would ever want to call someone to their face, when you could easily say, "Hey, how's it going? You from around here?"

tl;dr -- IRL, the word is full of assumptions which are no longer helpful. I think the examples you provided are fine, though, especially if this Idylla is as insular as it seems from those quotes.

Last edited:

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's offensive so much as slightly outdated. Its the kind of thing you'd expect your old curmudgeonly uncle to say. In many cases its used ironically.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't you use something simple like "stranger"?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I think the word means exactly what it means -- a person from a country other than your own -- and there's nothing wrong with using it. Like anything else, try not to over-use it so it stands out and feels awkward after a while.

When other words are attached, e.g. bloody foreigners, Johnny foreigner, etc. it becomes the insulting version.

-Derek

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any issue with it, unless it's being overused to the point where it's coming across as repetitive. If people for whatever reason want to attach political overtones to a perfectly neutral word, well, that's their problem, IMO.

I was wondering, though--is that reference to the camel and the eye of the needle a deliberate twisting and misquote of the Bible reference? I mean, as an idiom, it doesn't make much sense that a camel would poke someone in the eye with a needle. Or maybe the character saying that is the sort who mangles common references?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Think of it this way, I have lived in the US for almost 20 years but you could accurately call me a foreigner. Would that be a "nice" thing to call me? If you saw a tourist would you say: "look at that foreigner"?

The meaning of the word depends on how it is being used. And there aren't actually that many normal, neutral used for it anymore in the "real" world. Most people from other places are called other words these days, immigrant, tourist etc.

So if your land is slightly xenophobic, which is not so unusual--maybe it is the right word.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some random thoughts: You don't mention the setting or the POV. Both can affect what words are appropriate. If it's first-person POV, then you have to portray the way that person would think. If they think of people from elsewhere as foreigners, then that's how you present it. But if you're writing in 3rd Omni, then overuse of the word might come across as "message-y" if a reader was sensitive to that.

And setting. If it's a fantasy or period setting, readers can't expect 21st century western civ sensibilities. There's some term for writing period pieces where the characters have current morality, but it escapes me (and will continue to until I have at least one more coffee).

I think the point is that the word itself is just a word, with no particular undertone if used appropriately for the story.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The meaning of the word depends on how it is being used. And there aren't actually that many normal, neutral used for it anymore in the "real" world. Most people from other places are called other words these days, immigrant, tourist etc.

^This. It matters how it's being used, and adjectives attached to it. By itself, it's a fairly objective word used to describe the standing of a person within a society. I've heard it out of the mouths of folks who lean pretty far right, and it's not meant as anything other than an insult or belittlement. When the word approaches and even swap for "illegals," I think that's when it becomes derogatory.

tinyCirrusCloud

I'm not crazy, I promise.
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, it depends on the context. Any word can be derogatory if used in the right way (or wrong way, depending on how you want to look at it). But I don't think the word itself is derogatory. At least I was never offended by it when I lived in foreign countries (see what I did there?).

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Imo, "foreigner" is not offensive. But maybe you did overuse it. You might do a search for the word and see if you really have used it extensively. If so, you could just replace some of them with "outsiders" or something like that.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Imo, "foreigner" is not offensive. But maybe you did overuse it. You might do a search for the word and see if you really have used it extensively. If so, you could just replace some of them with "outsiders" or something like that.

In a fantasy setting there are definitely some cool options. I've always been partial to "outlanders" myself. It's just kind of a nifty word.

ETA: Oh, and I also never considered "foreigner" an offensive word. I've been a foreigner in other countries and, if asked, would certainly have described myself as such without batting an eye. (I know I've referred to myself as a "straniera," the Italian word for foreigner).

I'm actually kind of relieved that there's agreement here, because words, being so malleable, do have a way of changing meaning or nuance, and for one reason or another, I'm often behind the curve** finding out the change took place. I was afraid it had become offensive while I wasn't looking, and I might therefore have used it in conversation at some point and been unintentionally offensive.

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think your usage of the word seems appropriate. If I were to visit a Mediterranean country, I would be a foreigner to them. If I was still called a foreigner after living there twenty years, I would sense a lack of acceptance, yes. But for tourists and students who plan on studying and then leaving, it seems non-offensive to me.

Enoise

Registered
Reaction score
Foreigner isn't an offensive word and it's the last thing your reader would be contemplating when reading your work.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
According to the Oxford English dictionary, offensive means "causing someone to feel resentful, upset, or annoyed"

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/offensive

Words, in general, do not cause anything - it's people's interpretation of them that may be offensive. You cannot control how anyone else feels about anything. People decide for themselves whether they find something offensive or not. I don't care what anyone says, I can either find something offensive, or not - based on my own subjective view of the world. I could find the word dog offensive:

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

That statement could be construed as being offensive, or not, based on context and interpretation. Are you calling me a dog? Are you implying that dogs are dumb? Or are you calling me an old idiot? Or are you saying I can't learn? How am I supposed to interpret that? based on how I interpret that, I can either be offended or not. (I = me = a person) Words are not offensive, people are offensive. As a whole, I would also venture to say that if someone finds your writing offensive, they can do one of two things: Stop reading or not

You shouldn't change who you are or how you write based on how someone else feels. You can't control their feelings, only your own. It sounds to me like someone is being overly sensitive - they need to deal with that, not you.

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
Late to the party, but I think foreigner is fine. It's the right word to describe a person from a different country without silly contrivances.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Overlooking the fact that if someone described me that way, even though technical accurate, I would suspect they were a xenophobic %&$#@

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
In the US, especially in this current politically correct atmosphere, I'd say that a lot of people would shy away from "foreigner." At the school where I work, we call students who are not US citizens "international" students.

Yet it will depend on your setting, too. In China people call non-Chinese "foreigners," and I am sure terminology and connotation differ around the world.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
thanks, everyone. i’ve been going through my MS. I think my beta was right: I DID use the word “foreigner” too often in my MS. So I deleted as many instances as I could, changed others, and left in some where no other word would have done the job.

I can see how the word could have offensive overtones, but none of my characters ever means it in an insulting way, and I think most readers would be able to see that. I can’t help it if some readers choose to see something that was never meant.

Beth, yes, that reference to the camel and the eye of the needle is a deliberate twisting and misquote of the Bible reference and yes, the character saying that is the sort who mangles common references.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.