• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Thoughts on online writing courses?

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Two years ago I took a weekend-long short story intensive workshop led by a popular spec-fic writer, and enjoyed it immensely. I feel I learned quite a bit, and what I learned has really helped me structure the stories I've written since then. This particular intensive was definitely intense: three days, ten hours per day in front of your computer, with half hour breaks here and there for eating and other necessities. And the homework for the third day of the workshop was to write a full 2,000-word story.

I also have a friend who has taken a number of online workshops by another spec-fic writer, and swears by them.

I'm also pondering a 6-week workshop on "writing inclusive fiction" because that's a topic I struggle with, but I'm having trouble convincing my wife that it's worth the cost.

All that to say, I believe online writing courses can be useful and valuable; it all depends on who's teaching the workshop, and, as with all things, what you get out of it depends on what you put in.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
I've taken a few classes with Margie Lawson and they are wonderful. It all depends on which class, and finding the class that's best for you. She offers a variety each month. If you get a chance to take "Write Better Faster" I've heard just amazing things about it. It is taught by R.L. Syme who has established herself as a writer as well as a teacher. Margie runs classes taught by a number of different folks on all aspects of writing, including several about the writing business, editing, marketing, websites, etc.

For Margie's lecture packets, she offers one on Defeating Self-Defeating Behaviors that I think should be a must for writers. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies!

I read a comment where someone was suggesting that a teacher might look down on SF/F -- I've never experienced that around Margie. I don't think she'd tolerate it.

Poetical Gore

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed at some point, but search didn't want to cooperate, so...

Anyone have any thoughts on online writing courses? Better yet, anyone have any recommendations? I'm fully aware that a writer does not need these to write, and that writing and reading actively is the more practical approach. However, back when I was in university writing classes were not something offered and with the wide variety of options available from home now via the internet now, I am tempted. I have free time this summer and would love to spend some time on this before NaNoWriMo 2017 rolls around.

This initially came up as a suggestion from my mother, who saw a facebook ad for James Patterson's MasterClass. Reviews seem to be mixed on that. If it helps at all, I write fantasy and paranormal romance and I am aiming to self publish. I am aware, in my given example, that Patterson and I do not share the same genre.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my question and for any feedback or suggestions. Have a nice day! :)

I cannot answer about classes, but based on what you are writing, I suggest this book "the anatomy of story" by John Truby. It tells you the things to think about for your story and write them. It is not the whole three act structure thing.