Pence starts his own PAC

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I thought of mentioning this in the Trump military thread, but the discussions of Pence as a potential commander in chief were probably already getting a bit too far off topic (or toeing that line, at least).

Vice President Mike Pence is launching his own PAC — the “Great America Committee” — to aid his own future political interests, including helping Republican candidates ahead of the 2018 midterms.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/pence-creates-pac-ahead-2018-2020-elections-n761436

It's unprecedented for a VP to start a campaign for their own future presidency this early in a sitting president's first term. He's the only sitting vice president to start a political action committee.

It appears that Pence smells blood in the water, re the likelihood of Trump serving out his first Term. Other Republicans are looking at running in 2020 (also a rather unusual move with a GOP president in his first term), but clearly Pence wouldn't be able to do this if he's on the ticket as Trump's vice president (at least I assume he can't. Is it allowed constitutionally?) Does he think Trump will be out by then and he will be President?

Regardless, it's a rather risky move, one that has great potential to come bite him on the gluteus maximus. It's hard to see how Trump, or his still-adoring base--will take this in a, how should I say it, benign way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/opinion/sorry-mike-pence-youre-doomed.html

The above opinion piece makes some interesting points, ones I hope are correct.

Last edited:

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
It's unprecedented for a VP to start a campaign for their own future presidency this early in a sitting president's first term. He's the only sitting vice president to start a political action committee.

But.. but... but he's NOT RUNNING for president. He said so, and therefore it has to be true!

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the presidential candidate is decided by the primaries. The vice presidential candidate is appointed by the chosen presidential candidate AFTER the primaries. Even in my short time as a voter, I can remember primaries that have ended with speculation that the winner would choose their most popular rival as their vice president. (There were Dems hoping Barack would choose Hillary and Hillary, in turn, would choose Bernie, but in both cases their respective policies were too distinct from each other and the winning candidate went with someone else.)

I can't imagine Trump wanting someone on his ticket he thinks might try to upstage him, though. So while it may be ALLOWED, it's likely to backfire one way or another.

Now, as to whether Pence would be able to run as a third-party if he was somehow still allowed to run on Trump's ticket... Let me check the Constitution and get back to you, but I don't think it's specifically prohibited.

ETA: I was serious about checking the Constitution. The one that defines the Vice President's role and qualifications is the twelfth amendment. The only thing it says is that you must be eligible to be President, which is to say, 35 or older, natural-born citizen, have lived in the US at least 14 years (grabbed that list off Wikipedia instead of digging through Article II for it).

Oh, also, you can't be a treasonist. That seems like a given, but strangely it's outlined in the 14th Amendment (it was meant to block Confederate leaders from becoming President).

So as far as I can tell, yes. Because the modern form of elections was not in place the last time the Constitution sought to define this stuff, yes, Pence can run as both President and Vice President on separate tickets.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Who would back (financially) a candidate that was the VP on one ticket, but running as a 3rd party candidate? Running for president is fricken' expensive. Pence isn't hedging his bets in the "run both ways" arena. He's assuming Trump is going to be impeached and he's going to escape the poop-smear. The fact that he's done this tells you what he knows. The fact that he keeps supporting the president will be soundbites for days.

Bring it on.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Even assuming Trump makes it through the first term, I suspect nothing but sheer cussedness would make him want another. He'll be 80 or so at the end of it, and he's dragging his tail right now. He clearly hates everything about being president, except for the rallies. Hey, he could hold rallies for Pence and get the same adulation.

Of course, he may not be smart enough to figure out that if you hate being president, you should maybe not re-up for it.