Using Publishers Marketplace to find an agent?

drpeg

Registered
Reaction score
I've been listening to "How to Publish Your Book," offered by The Great Courses. In an early lecture, the speaker lists various resources an author should turn to in order to research agents. She says the fee-based resources offer higher quality information, and she first mentions Writers Market and then Publishers Marketplace. Though she talks about how PM gives great insight into who's buying what and who's active, I'm still unsure why PM would be worth the money. Why not simply use AgentQuery and/or QueryTracker (which she later mentions)? Has anyone used PM to develop their "target agent list"? If so, can you lay out the reasons why you found it more helpful than AQ and QT? Thanks!

drpeg

Registered
Reaction score
I've been listening to "How to Publish Your Book," offered by The Great Courses. In an early lecture, the speaker lists various resources an author should turn to in order to research agents. She says the fee-based resources offer higher quality information, and she first mentions Writers Market and then Publishers Marketplace. Though she talks about how PM gives great insight into who's buying what and who's active, I'm still unsure why PM would be worth the money. Why not simply use AgentQuery and/or QueryTracker (which she later mentions)? In what way would PM be more helpful in developing a "target agent list"?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I've been listening to "How to Publish Your Book," offered by The Great Courses. In an early lecture, the speaker lists various resources an author should turn to in order to research agents. She says the fee-based resources offer higher quality information, and she first mentions Writers Market and then Publishers Marketplace. Though she talks about how PM gives great insight into who's buying what and who's active, I'm still unsure why PM would be worth the money. Why not simply use AgentQuery and/or QueryTracker (which she later mentions)? In what way would PM be more helpful in developing a "target agent list"?

PM is a great resource, but don't rely solely on it for 100% accurate info. Many agents don't bother to post sales there.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
PM's dealmakers can be really helpful when you're trying to decide who to submit to. It tells you who the biggest dealmakers in a genre/category have been for a certain amount of time (6 months, 12 months), and what their deals have been. It also gives you the descriptions, a la PM announcements for them, which shows you what they're selling and who they're selling to. Of course, this only works for the agents who report to PM, and not all of them do. When I last queried, I had a subscription, and I started with PM to make my querying list. This time around I have no subscription, so I've gone elsewhere.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Merged a duplicate Roundtable thread with this one.

drpeg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sage! Was it obvious how to navigate around PM to get the info you needed to make your agent list?

- - - Updated - - -