Some success in self publishing. Start a new series and go traditional?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
All right, here is my situation. I have a series under a pen name that has enjoyed some moderate success, with the most recent works receiving some positive reviews.

Initially, two years ago I tried to seek out an agent for my first book. Nobody was interested. Frankly, it sucked but never mind that. I've grown quite a bit of an author since and one thing that I recall being important to some agents is experience and examples. Well I have experience and examples now. Some that other people have told me are quite good.

I know an agent won't touch a self published indie title, but I'm thinking this might just be the time to start with a fresh author alias, with a fresh new series, and try to find an agent for the big five? Thoughts?

Oh, why a fresh author alias. Go figure that a year ago someone went on the market with the same alias I'm using. Sigh. I made the mistake of using a name that was too common.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you think your earlier books aren't professional quality and want to distance yourself from them, or you're writing in a different genre, I wouldn't change your pen name (unless a solid agent or publisher recommends it). Why give up the chance for backlist sales if the new book takes off? Someone can always come along with the same name after you pick a new name anyway. If the early books are an issue, you could almost completely get rid of just those by de-listing them. If they aren't good quality, I wouldn't leave them up anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to try for an agent, if you think your book has broad commercial appeal.

Good luck!

Last edited:

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you think your earlier books aren't professional quality and want to distance yourself from them, or you're writing in a different genre, I wouldn't change your pen name (unless a solid agent or publisher recommends it). Why give up the chance for backlist sales if the new book takes off? Someone can always come along with the same name after you pick a new name anyway. If the early books are an issue, you could almost completely get rid of just those by de-listing them. If they aren't good quality, I wouldn't leave them up anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to try for an agent, if you think your book has broad commercial appeal.

Good luck!

+1

Submit — mentioning your current writing name — away. It's something to address later on. Unless this other author is J.K. Rowling famous, chances are people won't notice and/or care.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you're having modest success as an indie, why not keep going down that road? In a year's time you could be at "major" success. At that point you'd have more power to negotiate with agents, too.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
+1

...Unless this other author is J.K. Rowling famous, chances are people won't notice and/or care.

And it wouldn't hurt if the other author was J.K. Rowling famous lol!

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Consensus says stay with the same author name. Right now I'm seven books in to an action adventure series that has some pretty well developed main characters. It could go as far as I want really. Does it make sense to approach an agent with the eighth, or would they not touch it? Don Pendelton, godfather of action adventure, made a pile of Mack Bolan/Executioner books.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Consensus says stay with the same author name. Right now I'm seven books in to an action adventure series that has some pretty well developed main characters. It could go as far as I want really. Does it make sense to approach an agent with the eighth, or would they not touch it? Don Pendelton, godfather of action adventure, made a pile of Mack Bolan/Executioner books.

In general, publishers aren't keen on picking up a series in progress, although with you being self-published it's a slightly different situation. Still, seven books are a lot for a publisher to commit to.

My instinct would be to suggest you seek an agent with a non-series book, and once you've got representation, talk to them about the possibilities for your series. They'd be able to give you better advice.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
In general, publishers aren't keen on picking up a series in progress, although with you being self-published it's a slightly different situation. Still, seven books are a lot for a publisher to commit to.

My instinct would be to suggest you seek an agent with a non-series book, and once you've got representation, talk to them about the possibilities for your series. They'd be able to give you better advice.

That sounds like a sound tactic. Thanks.