Antisocial Personality Disorder + How to hide a suicide question(s)

Reaction score
The character I’m writing is a 44-year-old former medical examiner who suffers from an antisocial personality disorder, is a practicing sadist, and the wife of a former Marine turned governor who is the president-elect of the United States. She’s hidden a great deal of her unsavory behavior from her husband in part because her parents are aware of her full condition and have always done what they can to hide it from others (including her husband who they desperately wanted her to marry because of his wealth). The fact her husband was an active service member for the first years of their marriage helped. He caulked her distance, aloffness, and sometimes flat out hosility towards him as punishment for leaving her to serve. Now, however, she’s about to become incredibly powerful, and a former sexual partner (who was paid off by her family in exchange for him signing a NDA) is having an attack of conscience and is about to go to the press with all he knows. In evaluating the situation, the character knows that he’ll never go forward with the information if she dies (his motivation is stopping her from getting more ability to do what she’s been doing if her husband weren't going to win he wouldn't be talking). She also knows that if she dies tragically or rather boringly, the press and public will eat it up (ala Princess Diana—as a political wife she’s been a rock star, and people love her).
All of this is background to ask if this rationale would be believable for her to decide to end her life as well as how it would be possible for this character to commit suicide without it getting easily IDed as such? I’ve thought about her staging an accident, but the fact she has Secret Service protection at this point makes that very hard to work out. My thought was that she’d be able to do it with some medication she’s kept on standby for years (she’s like a boy scout-- always prepared), but I don’t have the medical knowledge how that would be possible.
If you're wondering, the husband has increasingly realized something is wrong with his wife, but he's never been entirely able to get a hold on what it was.
Also, I know one issue that might get pointed out is that surely someone in this position would have a VERY well-documented autopsy and investigation into their death. The ME gets pushed to find a quick and "simple" cause of death by people both in her family and her husband's team after they all get told what was really going on with the MC by her parents. They all have a feeling it was suicide, but they don't want to have it confirmed.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The character I’m writing is a 44-year-old former medical examiner who suffers from an antisocial personality disorder, is a practicing sadist, and the wife of a former Marine turned governor who is the president-elect of the United States. She’s hidden a great deal of her unsavory behavior from her husband in part because her parents are aware of her full condition and have always done what they can to hide it from others (including her husband who they desperately wanted her to marry because of his wealth).

I'm confused -- what unsavoury behaviour? You say her parents are aware of her 'condition' and have 'always' tried to hide it -- first, you can't actually have it until you're an adult, second, what are you having her doing? Plenty of people with ASPD don't do anything particularly dramatic.

The fact her husband was an active service member for the first years of their marriage helped. He caulked I don't think that's the word you mean, heh. her distance, aloffness, and sometimes flat out hosility towards him as punishment for leaving her to serve. Now, however, she’s about to become incredibly powerful, and a former sexual partner (who was paid off by her family in exchange for him signing a NDA) is having an attack of conscience and is about to go to the press with all he knows.

What does he know? These things are specific to her, not to ASPD.

In evaluating the situation, the character knows that he’ll never go forward with the information if she dies (his motivation is stopping her from getting more ability to do what she’s been doing if her husband weren't going to win he wouldn't be talking). She also knows that if she dies tragically or rather boringly, the press and public will eat it up (ala Princess Diana—as a political wife she’s been a rock star, and people love her).

This seems very unlikely to me, but anything is possible.

All of this is background to ask if this rationale would be believable for her to decide to end her life as well as how it would be possible for this character to commit suicide without it getting easily IDed as such? I’ve thought about her staging an accident, but the fact she has Secret Service protection at this point makes that very hard to work out. My thought was that she’d be able to do it with some medication she’s kept on standby for years (she’s like a boy scout-- always prepared), but I don’t have the medical knowledge how that would be possible.

Pills is the most popular form of suicide among women, but it's not likely going to look like an accident.

If you're wondering, the husband has increasingly realized something is wrong with his wife, but he's never been entirely able to get a hold on what it was.

Me either.

Also, I know one issue that might get pointed out is that surely someone in this position would have a VERY well-documented autopsy and investigation into their death. The ME gets pushed to find a quick and "simple" cause of death by people both in her family and her husband's team after they all get told what was really going on with the MC by her parents. They all have a feeling it was suicide, but they don't want to have it confirmed.

I still don't get what was "going on." The ASPD really isn't so dramatic in general. People surely can be but I think you're attributing stuff to a disorder that isn't really there.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, her husband was a governor, and is the president-elect? How could they have got through the nomination and election without every bit of their lives being picked over by both the press and 'the other side'? Any suggestion, or rumour about her behaviour (no matter what it might be) would be pounced on and spread widely.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Car accident. Even if she has a driver, she can announce she wants to drive herself, dammit, and go over a convenient bridge/dam/cliff.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Must it be a first-hand suicide?

She could hire a pro to "hit" her; she doesn't want to know where or when. She goes about her daily routine, carefully maintaining a facade of normality, and knowing full well that when it happens she'll be thought of as a victim of political violence. Her surviving spouse would reap enormous sympathy-based benefits in the upcoming election, no doubt assuring his victory. Any subsequent suggestion that she might have been linked to her own demise would be categorically derided as crass and mean-spirited--notwithstanding any investigation and possible evidence to the contrary. Conspiracy theorists would be the first to cry cover-up and further muddy the waters of rational reserve. These things do drag on . . . Who is involved? Did the President know? What did the President know? When did he know it?

You could spin this into quite the political thriller.

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Without knowing more of the specific details of what's going on in your plot, I'm not sure I see this as motivation for suicide. I mean, it sounds like this woman has it made. She's a rock star political wife? She's poised to become First Lady? She's also a sadistic sociopath? Why is she planning to eliminate herself from this equation and not whoever's about to go public with her dirty laundry?

DuncanClinch

Registered
Reaction score
A psychopath sadist isn't likely to commit suicide unless they are cornered and about to be caught. Think Adolf Hitler. He didn't care about the suffering of others, but he didn't want to be captured and punished.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
bpd can spill over into aspd/sadism in certain situations and has a higher suicide rate than any other condition it is unlikely they would try to hide that there death was suicide though possible to manufacture a rational though
p.s aspd are best at hiding there disorder and can be difficult to detect

did which would solve all your problems is rarely comorbid with aspd ( dissasociative idetity disorder )

Last edited: