• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Beta Readers for first 4 chapters of YA Fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravaena

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. So, I've been working on this novel for quite a while and the first 4 chapters have recently undergone some very heavy revision. What I'm looking for is for someone to read those chapters, mostly to check for consistency, flow and plot holes. No need for a line by line at this point, I mostly just want a quick overview so I know what's working. If that's something you think you'd be interested in, please reply or message me. In total, it's about 13k words. I've included a blurb below so you know what you're signing on for.

On her seventeenth birthday, Sarah Johnson gets uprooted from her suburban life and teleported to another world. There she is confronted with strange elemental creatures, some friendly, others deadly.

Despite the dangers, this new world is breathtaking, with lush forests full of vibrant colour that resonate with Sarah’s artistic soul like the real world never did. That doesn’t mean she’s willing to stay. Home beckons and no unfathomable chasm of cross-dimensional space-time will stop her from getting back.

Sarah’s seen enough movies to know how this is supposed to work. She sets off to find a wizard, but instead finds a priest. In a world where priests can use magic, Sarah figures that’s close enough. He uses her blood in a spell that’s meant to show him where she was born, so he can navigate aforementioned space-time and send her back. The problem is, her blood seems to think she was born on this world, in a castle that burned down years ago.

Sarah heads to the castle for answers. Then soldiers and elemental sprites start hunting her. Now, Sarah has to evade capture, get to the castle, and figure out what the hell is going on before this strange new world kills her.​

Last edited:

SheridanEF

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, Ravaena. I think your journey with Sarah sounds interesting, and I would be happy to help once I know a little more about what you're looking for time-wise and maybe some general overview of the work so I know what to look for (is it a projected series or stand alone, etc.). Let me know if you'd be interested!

ravaena

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sheridan. I'm definitely interested. Turn around I'd say I'd like feedback on the first 4 chapters within a month or two. It is intended to be a trilogy eventually, but I only have the first book written thus far and am in the midst of heavy revisions. If you'd still like to take a look, pm me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

nadiam

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Ravaena,

I'll take a look too if you'd like more than one opinion.
I am not great with line by line editing/ grammar etc, but I am decent with looking at plots/ plot holes and characters.
I'll let you know if I think there is something that is glaringly bad, but also tell you when i think things are awesome and working well.
I'm completely honest about what I think works and what doesn't.
I am interested/ read lots of different genres.

I have done one SYW review that you can look at for reference which I'll send you the link to if you're interested.
You can have a look at my style and what stands out to me.
Let me know. I'm keen to check your work out.
Nadia

ravaena

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nadia. More readers are always welcome. Just send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you the chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.