Are Any Writers NOT Writing Epic Books?

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net
My writing style is fairly trim in that I give just the necessary scene descriptions. I like to imagine that I'm similar to some of the 70's sci-fi writers. What I'm wondering is... is there a market for this kind of writing now?

I feel as if every SFF author is writing epic novels with page after page of scene, costume, and character descriptions. Do you know of an author who has a more "trim" style? I'd like to get inspired by authors who are succeeding in the style I'm trying to write.

Thanks!
-A

AJMarks

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not, but I am trying to create a vast universe upon which I can write many short stories, and novels if I so desire.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
My style is fairly tight. The things I write that are longer are because the story is complex, not because of loose writing.

Saladin Ahmed's debut novel is very short, while still having a lot of (pertinent) detail. Elizabeth Bear and Scott Lynch both write clean but descriptive prose. Robin McKinley, Cherie Priest, D.B. Jackson are also good examples of details where they need to be.

Different readers like different things. Detail and description doesn't necessarily mean bogged down or lack of story. Nor does sparse prose necessarily mean the writing is clean and story focused.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I don't. I'm too far the other way and sometimes much too barebones. I struggle to keep my wordcount from falling below 90k, and that's for my secondary world ms. The spec fic (real world) one is probably going to skate in at around 70k.

There are lots of non epic sff books around.

Last edited:

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Yep, I enjoy reading epic books but it's not my writing style at all. It's a good day for me if I can hit 80k on a novel! Of course, that may be part of the problem since I'm not exactly a booming success yet, but oh well. I like the way I write and I know lots of other people do too.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think my book qualifies as epic. It's 114K in size, but that's mostly plot and dialog, not baroque descriptions of the world, or meandering inner monologues about the characters' thoughts, they mostly just get on with it. It's also largely a heist story, so no universe-shaking stakes, or even a "save the world" plot, just a bunch of pros trying to get a job done. If I had William Gibson's command of the language, you betch'a I'd have every page filled with amazing, lyrical descriptions, but since I can't swing that, I keep it minimal.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Do you know of an author who has a more "trim" style? I'd like to get inspired by authors who are succeeding in the style I'm trying to write.

Thanks!
-A

M. John Harrison is a great writer who more or less eschews the kind of intensive world building you're talking about. I'd check him out, especially the Viriconium series, which is a case example in watching a writer and project evolve.

Myself, I tend to avoid too much description. I very rarely describe characters or clothing, and usually only when it's integral to the scene.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm like that--a 'sparse' writer. I have to go through on my edit passes and add description so everyone isn't in a white room.

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net
Brilliant recommendations! I'm thrilled to see so many writers like myself.

I'm like you, Noranne, I do enjoy reading epic for the most part but when it comes to my own writing I'm just not that effervescent.

Sideshowdarb, Aggy B. thank you for directing to me to other authors of a similar style, I will definitely check them out.

Harlequin, I'm about the same word count as you and my first story is coming in right around 70k. I hope to push that up with book 2 but I don't see that I'm ever going to break the epic mark of 110k.

Shoeless, I absolutely agree with you. I like tight writing but if I had a greater command of the language I'd love to bust out some advanced prose.

AJMarks, good luck with your vast universe. I love the idea of creating a giant playground in which I could base all my stories. It sounds interesting.

Thanks!
-A

GeekGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Early on I used to write way too much description. As I got older and my writing style developed more I realized that sometimes you don't need to describe every little detail. Now it's easier to fill in those details later after the main story is on the paper. It's what editing is for. That and I keep telling myself this is a first draft and not the final product.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
This is it exactly! In my head everything is all filled out and wonderful. If only I could just let readers see what's in there ^_^

The funny thing is for me that it isn't really filled out in my head. I guess I'm not that visual of a person!

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
The funny thing is for me that it isn't really filled out in my head. I guess I'm not that visual of a person!

I have zero sense of architecture or urban layout. When I need to put my characters in a house, I go to Zillow and look up houses in the appropriate area with the appropriate number of bedrooms.

Also, no, I tend to skim over description. I write YA urban fantasy mostly, and I struggle to get my books up to 80k. To be fair, this is also a flaw in my writing, namely that I hate seeing my characters fall down and feel bad about it. Rewrites and edits mostly focus on throwing more rocks, or in some cases, hitting the characters with them until they break off a tree branch and start hitting them back.

(Metaphor comes from Kelley Armstrong, I believe--Act 1) Chase your character up a tree. Act 2) Throw rocks at them. Act 3) Let them back down.)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The novel in my sig line is non-epic S&S, reviews have chided me for insuffucient world-building. Also look at the work of CT Phipps, his stuff moves fast without a load of description.

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also an economical writer. My novels tend to be in the 80-100K range, and have found (to my delight) that that is a sellable range for SF novels. Your mileage may vary for fantasy settings, though, especially if you're introducing a new world or magic system. Happy to see I'm not alone! :)

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net
GeekGirl said:
...It's what editing is for. That and I keep telling myself this is a first draft and not the final product.

So true! I try to go back and layer in some details where I can through edits. I must make this my mantra "this is not the final product" ^_^

noranne said:
...I guess I'm not that visual of a person!

Maybe you're driven more by emotion, which is a great asset as a writer. I feel like some stories have too much filler. Yours probably just get right to the point.

JetFueledCar said:
I have zero sense of architecture or urban layout. When I need to put my characters in a house, I go to Zillow and look up houses in the appropriate area with the appropriate number of bedrooms.

I have never tried this. Likely that's because most of my stuff is sci-fi but now that you mention it I love the idea of using a real building. It would help get all those little nuance details that I might not pick up in my own imagination. ^_^ Great suggestion!

waylander said:
The novel in my sig line is non-epic S&S, reviews have chided me for insuffucient world-building. Also look at the work of CT Phipps, his stuff moves fast without a load of description.

Thanks, Waylander. I'll add CT Phipps to my list of new authors to check out. I didn't catch your sig line, could you send me a link to your story?

gbondoni said:
I'm also an economical writer. My novels tend to be in the 80-100K range, and have found (to my delight) that that is a sellable range for SF novels. Your mileage may vary for fantasy settings, though, especially if you're introducing a new world or magic system. Happy to see I'm not alone! :)

gbondoni, so glad to hear that someone's selling SF in that range, it gives me hope! I absolutely agree with you about Fantasy, I think that genre is ruled by epic right now. I'm really surprised by how many of us "trim" writers there are, definitely happy to feel like I'm not alone. ^_^

Thanks!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on vacation at the moment and working off a phone so can't paste links, but search Exile Owton on Amazon and you'll hit it

bluejaybooks

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I took my goodreads shelf containing sci-fi, which contains 61 books and sorted them by descending page count and made the publication date visible.

Some noticeable trends appear. The shortest books, under 300 pages, were mostly published prior to 2000. Most of the books published after 2000 of that length are marketed as novellas. Most of the books a little over 300 pages are young adult or middle grade. This, however, may just be a result of my past reading preferences which leaned towards books written for younger audiences until recently.

A fair number sci-fi books published in the last 5 years marketed as adult do come in at under 400 pages according to what I've read on goodreads. They're just not in the majority. I suppose it depends on what you mean by "not epic". If your definition means under 300 pages then maybe not. If your definition means under 400 pages then certainly. I guess 400 pages translates to about 100,000 words?

Again, I'd like to emphasize that this could all be a reflection of my reading preferences as opposed to the market as 61 books isn't the largest sample size.

In terms of me personally, the longest MS I've written has come in at 90K words, and I struggled to reach that 90K. Generally, I tend to write on the shorter end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Some noticeable trends appear. The shortest books, under 300 pages, were mostly published prior to 2000. Most of the books published after 2000 of that length are marketed as novellas. Most of the books a little over 300 pages are young adult or middle grade. This, however, may just be a result of my past reading preferences which leaned towards books written for younger audiences until recently.

Page count is an unreliable metric. The ARC for my third book is ~35 pages longer than my second, and it's actually 2,000 words shorter. Layout and interior design can make a huge difference.

These days, you can get word counts on most well-known books via Google (there seem to be some sites that track these things).

bluejaybooks

Registered
Reaction score
Page count is an unreliable metric. The ARC for my third book is ~35 pages longer than my second, and it's actually 2,000 words shorter. Layout and interior design can make a huge difference.

These days, you can get word counts on most well-known books via Google (there seem to be some sites that track these things).

I agree completely and use those sites to check word counts all the time. I love them. They're great. I probably spend a little too much time on them. However, I chose page count for my purposes because goodreads does not have a sort by word count function (please correct me if I'm wrong), otherwise I would have used word count for sure.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been following this thread since its inception and am curious why "epic" here seems to be equated with "long-winded."

I write epic fantasy - but I consider what I write to be briskly paced and written in an accessible style. To me, what makes epic fantasy "epic" is not the length of the book, nor an emphasis on description, nor a particular kind of heightened language, but its scope. The actions of the characters have a lasting impact not just on their own lives, but on their entire world. By that description, the Harry Potter books, which are among the most accessible of fantasy novels, could be defined as epic, since the struggle between Voldemort and Harry affects their entire society.

There's a good article about the definition of epic fantasy at Fantasy Faction.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've been following this thread since its inception and am curious why "epic" here seems to be equated with "long-winded."

Excellent point. One of the most long-winded* books I ever read was The Old Man and the Sea, which is apparently a trim 26K words.

*My opinion, of course. I know I'm something of an outlier for despising Hemingway.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I write epic fantasy - but I consider what I write to be briskly paced and written in an accessible style. To me, what makes epic fantasy "epic" is not the length of the book, nor an emphasis on description, nor a particular kind of heightened language, but its scope. The actions of the characters have a lasting impact not just on their own lives, but on their entire world. By that description, the Harry Potter books, which are among the most accessible of fantasy novels, could be defined as epic, since the struggle between Voldemort and Harry affects their entire society.

There's a good article about the definition of epic fantasy at Fantasy Faction.

This. ^^^

I'm writing an epic fantasy, and my first book in the series currently sits at slightly over 90 k. But I'm doing a revision on the battle scene and expect it to drop down from that before the final version is ready for print since I'm scrapping some of the narration for dialogue to bring the reader in closer to the action. Personally, I hate reading pages of description, which is probably why I don't write pages of it.