Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Has anybody received their Claymore Award critique from Killer Nashville?

  1. #1
    Boo Radley with a laptop
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    25

    Has anybody received their Claymore Award critique from Killer Nashville?

    Killer Nashville's Claymore Award competition for unpublished crime novels offers each entrant the option of having his or her 50-page entry critiqued by an "industry professional." In 2016, this optional critique cost $20 (on top of the entry fee). That was a heck of a deal; though, many entrants didn't receive their critiques until eight months after the entry deadline and four months after the winner was announced.

    This year, Killer Nashville raised the critique fee to $100 but promised, "Critiques are guaranteed to writer within 60 days of receipt by Killer Nashville." As the entry deadline grew near, that 60-day guarantee was changed to a 90-day guarantee.

    It has now been 129 days since I submitted my entry (along with the $40 entry fee and $100 critique fee), and I still haven't received a critique.

    Is anybody else in the same situation? I've emailed the two addresses I have for Killer Nashville, but I haven't received a response.

    When the critique fee was $20 ($0.40/page), I was willing to forgive delays, because the critique was an almost-free perk of entering the contest. Now, having paid $2/page (the same rate I would have paid for a critique from Writer's Digest or a number of other sources), I'm quite miffed that Killer Nashville has failed to meet their guaranteed delivery date. That guarantee was the only reason I didn't balk at the significantly increased critique fee.

  2. #2
    Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gulf coast of FL
    Posts
    19,619
    No, but I would imagine that would be aggravating! Keep us posted? I hope it comes through soon!

  3. #3
    Benefactor Member WeaselFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Floral City, FL
    Posts
    2,984
    Have you voiced this concern to Killer Nashville?

    Jeff

  4. #4
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    I requested a critique from the contest, as well. And like you I noticed that little 60-day to 90-day shift. I waited until 90 days had passed and then used the contact form on the website. (http://www.killernashville.com/machf...w.php?id=85557) I got a quick reply. Turns out they had sent the critique weeks before, but I didn't receive it. Wasn't in my spam folder, either. (I'm a querying writer. You best believe I check my spam folder constantly, lol.) Who knows where it went. The good news is, my critique was very thorough and professional. So here's hoping yours simply got lost in cyberspace as well, although apparently follow up emails have gotten lost too? That's weird. Fingers crossed you get your critique soon!

  5. #5
    Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gulf coast of FL
    Posts
    19,619
    Thanks for that, Halee, and welcome to AW!

  6. #6
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    Thanks, heyjude! (Great username, btw.) I've skulked around occasionally so I figured it was time to go official.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
    Thanks for that, Halee, and welcome to AW!

  7. #7
    Boo Radley with a laptop
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Halee View Post
    I requested a critique from the contest, as well. And like you I noticed that little 60-day to 90-day shift. I waited until 90 days had passed and then used the contact form on the website. (http://www.killernashville.com/machf...w.php?id=85557) I got a quick reply. Turns out they had sent the critique weeks before, but I didn't receive it. Wasn't in my spam folder, either. (I'm a querying writer. You best believe I check my spam folder constantly, lol.) Who knows where it went. The good news is, my critique was very thorough and professional. So here's hoping yours simply got lost in cyberspace as well, although apparently follow up emails have gotten lost too? That's weird. Fingers crossed you get your critique soon!
    Thanks for the info, Halee. Like you, I check my spam folder regularly but haven't seen anything. I'll try writing them from another email address and let them know that if they're trying to reach me, their emails aren't going through to my primary address for some reason.

    EDITED TO ADD: Halee, I just checked your Twitter and saw that you're a Claymore FINALIST. Congrats!
    Last edited by Wesley_S_Lewis; 08-08-2017 at 02:41 PM.

  8. #8
    Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gulf coast of FL
    Posts
    19,619
    Woo-hoo, Halee! Congratulations!

  9. #9
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    Aww, thanks guys! Finaling is the first official good news I've had about my writing (after a mountain of rejections over the course of years), so it feels pretty fabulous. Wesley, I'd definitely give the contact form a shot. Sometimes emails get quarantined in spam but the website form seems to have greater odds of making it through. (Clearly I have a thorough understanding of the workings of cyberspace, lol.)

  10. #10
    Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gulf coast of FL
    Posts
    19,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Halee View Post
    (Clearly I have a thorough understanding of the workings of cyberspace, lol.)
    Sounds legit to me. *nods sagely*

  11. #11
    Boo Radley with a laptop
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    25
    I tried the contact form a couple of days ago. I'm still waiting on a response.

  12. #12
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    So strange. I think they're either bad at communication or have a terrible email system. I emailed a question to the person who's supposed to be the contact for the finalists and haven't heard back either. (That was almost a week ago.) Maybe if worse comes to worse, you could try tweeting at Killer Nashville?

  13. #13
    practical experience, FTW wonderactivist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Great Plains
    Posts
    2,720
    Congratulations Halee! Will you be at the con?

    Discover my words at Reverse Perspective

  14. #14
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    I will indeed, wonderactivist! It'll be my first time at this one.

  15. #15
    practical experience, FTW wonderactivist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Great Plains
    Posts
    2,720
    Awesome Halee! Let's have breakfast one day if you are free. I'm so excited but don't know a soul.

    Discover my words at Reverse Perspective

  16. #16
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    I look forward to meeting you! I'm a member of Sisters in Crime, and there are a handful of other members attending, so hopefully I'll be able to introduce you to some more people, once I meet them, lol. (Look for the person with teal streaks in her hair. That'll be me. Feel free to say hi any time.)

  17. #17
    Boo Radley with a laptop
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Halee View Post
    I look forward to meeting you! I'm a member of Sisters in Crime, and there are a handful of other members attending, so hopefully I'll be able to introduce you to some more people, once I meet them, lol. (Look for the person with teal streaks in her hair. That'll be me. Feel free to say hi any time.)
    Teal streaks in your hair? You and my wife would get along.

    As for my original quandary, I used PayPal's resolution center to contact Killer Nashville on Sunday. I still haven't received a reply.

  18. #18
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    The teal streaks are a recent addition to my life but I decided it was time. It's my favorite color and it reminds me of the ocean (which is also where my books tend to be set). My husband and friends say it's very me, so that's good.

    I'm sorry that you're still in the phantom zone with Killer Nashville! That's so weird. Maybe it's time to try tweeting at them. Or even at Clay Stafford himself. He seems to like being involved in things.

  19. #19
    Boo Radley with a laptop
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Halee View Post
    The teal streaks are a recent addition to my life but I decided it was time. It's my favorite color and it reminds me of the ocean (which is also where my books tend to be set). My husband and friends say it's very me, so that's good.

    I'm sorry that you're still in the phantom zone with Killer Nashville! That's so weird. Maybe it's time to try tweeting at them. Or even at Clay Stafford himself. He seems to like being involved in things.
    I tweeted @KillerNashville and @ClayStafford on Tuesday night and received a refund of the $100 critique fee on Wednesday morning. The refund wasn't accompanied by an explanation or an apology, so I'm still a little miffed that I spent 4+ months waiting for a critique that's never going to arrive.

  20. #20
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Halee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley_S_Lewis View Post
    I tweeted @KillerNashville and @ClayStafford on Tuesday night and received a refund of the $100 critique fee on Wednesday morning. The refund wasn't accompanied by an explanation or an apology, so I'm still a little miffed that I spent 4+ months waiting for a critique that's never going to arrive.
    Oh whoa. That's really weird. I wonder if that's happened to anyone else? I'm sorry you've had to deal with that. :/

  21. #21
    Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gulf coast of FL
    Posts
    19,619
    Ugh. That's poor customer service for sure. I'm sorry it happened, but glad you got your money back.

  22. #22
    Boo Radley with a laptop
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
    Ugh. That's poor customer service for sure. I'm sorry it happened, but glad you got your money back.
    I would rather have had the critique than a refund, but I couldn't ever get a response out of them, so I don't know if they simply forgot to do my critique or if they're running way behind schedule or what. C'est la vie.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search