I just like knowing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another interesting book about this flu outbreak is called The Great Influenza, by John M. Barry. It also explores the history of the medical sciences in the US, which was lagging behind its European counterparts in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was involved in a huge game of catch up when the epidemic hit.

I second The Great Influenza. I leaned more about the history of medical science in that book than I had learned with my master's degree in the science of nursing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I second The Great Influenza. I leaned more about the history of medical science in that book than I had learned with my master's degree in the science of nursing.

It definitely gave me some insights into the history of what is today called "alternative medicine" and the anti-science movements as they've played out in the US (and some insights why so much of the US is rather anti-science, even today). It was interesting to learn that the US was a relatively late adopted of the germ theory of disease.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
It definitely gave me some insights into the history of what is today called "alternative medicine" and the anti-science movements as they've played out in the US (and some insights why so much of the US is rather anti-science, even today). It was interesting to learn that the US was a relatively late adopted of the germ theory of disease.

SPOILERS!

JK, I love this whole thread. I'm a little maxed out on books ATM (got a bunch on queer and trans identity and history at the library today just because) but I'm planning to read everything here as soon as I clear stuff out.

Except the octopides. I'm scared of the ocean. ;(

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Swinging back around in case anyone else is taking notes on the recs in this thread...

I started reading Neil DeGrasse Tyson's new book, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, today. It skipped ahead of the books in the thread because it came from the express shelf, which led to this exchange when I got it:

Mom: Are you in a hurry?
Me: I guess so, it's a 7-day book.

Anyway, I've only gotten a few pages in but I'm LOVING it. Did you know that quarks are divided into six subspecies (a fellow nerd tells me they're called "flavors") called up/down, top/bottom, and strange/charmed?​ Because that just delights me.

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
+1 on The Boys in the Boat rec, and I love that's it popped up in this thread twice. I've coached collegiate rowing the last six years, and there aren't many books that do the sport justice. Brown's novel gives genuine insight into the sport on top of being a terrific story, and is a powerful read for both those new to rowing and those deeply involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.