Horror Novels Written Like Non-Fiction?

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for horror novels that are written as if they're a non-fiction accounts of real events, basically the written version of all the horror movies that pretend to be documentaries or "real" found footage or whatever. The only book I can think of off the top of my head that really does this is House of Leaves, but I figure the experts here must know of others. I have an idea for a horror novel of my own that I want to write like this and want to see how others have done it (plus I just love reading horror and need to discover some new authors anyway). Thanks in advance for the recs.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Have you read World War Z? The movie completely missed the point of the novel, but the novel itself was a pretty amazing fictional assembly of different documents, interviews and reports culled during a zombie apocalypse.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read World War Z? The movie completely missed the point of the novel, but the novel itself was a pretty amazing fictional assembly of different documents, interviews and reports culled during a zombie apocalypse.
No, I actually haven't. I had no idea the book was written that way, but now it sounds like something I might actually really like (I couldn't get into the movie at all, but obviously that doesn't mean anything). Thanks!

Calla Lily, I have read Dracula. No idea why it didn't come to mind, since I really enjoyed it and often use it as an example of classic epistolary style. I think my brain needs more coffee.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
The movie had only the most superficial nods to the original novel, so it's best ignored. There wasn't even a main character in the novel, in the way that Brad Pitt was front and center in the film. I really enjoyed World War Z, and I hope you get a lot out of it, since it seems to be doing in novel form what you're interested in experimenting with, so good luck with that. I think you'll really learn a lot from that book and I'd love to hear what you think of it after you're done with it.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
The movie had only the most superficial nods to the original novel, so it's best ignored. There wasn't even a main character in the novel, in the way that Brad Pitt was front and center in the film.

So true. I was super-excited to see how they'd handle the lack of an MC, the diverse settings, the disjointed narrative, and the more technical/tactical considerations. I was hoping for a series of vignettes connected by a slightly more in-depth depiction of the reporter character, his difficulties in obtaining these different interviews

...they gave us a generic zombie action flick that wasn't terrible in its own right (not great, but not terrible), but which I'm convinced was originally written under a different title and renamed World War Z to pull in an audience. Boo.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
True. All they had to do was follow the same narrative conceit as Citizen Kane, and they could have made World War Z work and still stick closely to the book.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Carrie is an epistolary novel, too.

As is Frankenstein.

Last edited:

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich. It has phone transcripts, journal entries, police records, etc. Though a caveat... I didn't particularly enjoy it because I found it to be a bit tedious, but it's a good example of how to do these things.

And I guess I would maybe recommend House of Leaves too? Because of the spiraling narrative element of a journal being written about a man's writings which are about a documentary which are about a house...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Last Days of Jack Sparks and The Red Tree are both presented as non-fiction found final manuscripts of the recently deceased authors (complete with forewords by the deceased's brother in the former, and editor in the latter) detailing the events that led their deaths.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The Moth Diaries is YA, but it's excellent and largely overlooked. It's basically a modern retelling of Carmilla in the style of Girl, Interrupted. Author is Rachel Klein.

charliewwriter

Human Person
Registered
Reaction score
I would throw in Zodiac by Robert Graysmith. Caveat: This is actually a non-fiction book. But it's almost a creative non-fiction book. It doesn't read like a list of facts or a police procedure. The story is broken up into actual scenes, some of them completely conjecture, that are actually creepy. To me, stone me if you wish, Zodiac read more like a novel in which a reporter searches for the identiity of a serial killer, and never finds it. The fact that it is a true story and that they never caught the killer is sort of secondary, a bit of icing on top that makes it a little creepier. So I guess this may be a non-fiction book that is written like a novel.