• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Planetary Science: The moon is made of WHAT?!?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
...Earth, apparently.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/what...eas-try-to-rescue-a-troubled-theory-20170802/

In the past five years, a bombardment of studies has exposed a problem: The canonical giant impact hypothesis rests on assumptions that do not match the evidence. If Theia hit Earth and later formed the moon, the moon should be made of Theia-type material. But the moon does not look like Theia — or like Mars, for that matter. Down to its atoms, it looks almost exactly like Earth.

(This article is more accessible than a lot of the stuff I read on Quanta, btw - a pretty easy and fascinating read.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is a really interesting article, though I thought the similarity of the moon and the Earth's crust was taken as support for the giant impact, as Theia vaporized much of the outer part of the Earth and merged with it, the ejecta from that impact (not Theia itself) becoming the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibV4MdN5wo0

In the past five years, a bombardment of studies has exposed a problem: The canonical giant impact hypothesis rests on assumptions that do not match the evidence. If Theia hit Earth and later formed the moon, the moon should be made of Theia-type material. But the moon does not look like Theia — or like Mars, for that matter. Down to its atoms, it looks almost exactly like Earth.

As I understand it, we have no idea what Theia was like chemically (assuming it existed, of course). The first thought I had as I read the article is that possibly the Earth's crust and the moon are both mixtures of Theian and early Earth material. I guess that's what they're proposing as the synestia hypothesis, but wouldn't this simply be a variant of the giant impact?

Another possibility (also mentioned) is that Theia and Earth were very much alike chemically. Yes, this challenges a lot of what we currently understand about planetary formation, but in a galaxy where every new extrasolar planet we discover seems to do the same thing, well...

Another possibility they mentioned is a series of impacts with smaller planetoids (so no Theia), but that seems improbable, unless the early solar system was even messier than we think it was. If this were true, though, I'd expect to see Mars and Venus with real moons of their own, since they'd likely also be hit with a series of bodies of the same size during the early development of the solar system. And I'd expect less homogeneity between the Earth's crust and the moon's, since not all of the lesser impacts would completely pulverize the crust. And wouldn't the moon have layers of rocks of different composition, like an onion?. Not sure if there's a good way to test that yet.

One thing we're learning recently is that the interior of planetary bodies are very different from what we've expected them to be (and the surfaces of many bodies, such as Pluto are much younger than we've expected too).

The biggest fly in the ointment I'm aware of for the current giant impact theory lately is that the moon has far more water in its rocks, and even in its interior, than makes sense in light of the hypothesis that the Earth got most of its water later, from water-bearing comets and so on (which could not have impregnated the moon with water below its lithosphere). But one explanation is that the Earth already had water, some of which ended up on/in the moon as a consequence of the giant impact (or perhaps Theia had water?)

We still have a lot to learn about our solar system.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This is, basically, nonsense. The consensus among astrogeologists is pretty close to settled, based on analysis of collected moon rocks and computer modeling. The moon almost certainly was formed from an oblique collision of another large body (we'll call it Theia, okay?} with the fledgling Earth, which essentially vaporized the former, and stripped off a large portion of the lighter silicate-rich material beginning to form the crust of the planet. The moon rocks are made of dominantly silicate material with limited amounts of heavier elements, especially iron. That helps greatly to explain the anomalous thinness of the crustal rocks today, which is really really important to us organisms, because it allows plate tectonics to function in a way not known on any other planet.

In addition, if Theia happened to be another fledgling planet, although smaller, it quite likely would consist of a similar mix of material (silicon and oxygen being by far the most abundant elements in the Earth's crustal material, and widely abundant in the universe in general), we might not even be able to recognize any difference in the source of such stuff.

caw

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is, basically, nonsense.

Hmm. It's certainly not my area of expertise, but one presumes it is for the scientists profiled in the article, who seem far from certain that the accepted model is correct.