• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you have to like reading to write well?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Not necessarily, but it always seems counterintuitive to do so. To me, anyway.

For example, my experience of people trying to write scifi when they don't read the genre (or worse, tell me they actively dislike it) is that they tend to have very generic ideas, because they're generally less aware of what's already been done, covered, and expertly explored.

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
In general, it's a good idea for anyone to study their craft and be knowledgeable about other work in their field. This applies across many professions. I suppose it helps if the study is enjoyable, but I still think it's necessary even it's not fun.

There's a quote by Chuck Close I think is worthwhile:

"Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work. And the belief that things will grow out of the activity itself and that you will — through work — bump into other possibilities and kick open other doors that you would never have dreamt of if you were just sitting around looking for a great "art idea". And the belief that process, in a sense, is liberating and that you don't have to reinvent the wheel every day. Today, you know what you'll do, you could be doing what you were doing yesterday, and tomorrow you are gonna do what you did today, and at least for a certain period of time you can just work. If you hang in there, you will get somewhere."

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
For example, my experience of people trying to write scifi when they don't read the genre (or worse, tell me they actively dislike it) is that they tend to have very generic ideas, because they're generally less aware of what's already been done, covered, and expertly explored.

Their writing also tends to be fraught with cliches. They may think they have a fresh new take on aliens and humans, but in reality they're just re-writing Heinlein's The Puppet Masters.

In my experience, writers like this tend to dash quickly out of whatever crit group they manage to find themselves it, if they decide to pursue their writing career that far.

James Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
Yes to everything everyone said after my question. I just finished reading two great stories from this site and I realized I need to read more works in my genre.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I like to read, but I don't do it very often. That maybe why my writing suffers at certain times. After I read something I enjoy and try to write, I feel like I'm doing a better job.

So reading is important in order to write. Reading actually has me get excited about writing!

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
I read hundreds of student essays and stories each year. I have never encountered a well-written piece by any author who did not read widely and with enthusiasm. So, no, I do not believe it possible to write well if you do not enjoy reading.

But I also think you will enjoy reading--and your writing will benefit--if you discover what type of book/genre you like. Perhaps you could post some titles you did enjoy, and we could suggest similar books?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, you do.

Edit to add, I'm being unequivocal because you specified writing well. Naturally anyone can write at whichever level suits, but I do think reading is a fundamental requirement of writing *well*.

it's also polite. if we ask others to read what we write, it's only fair to read what they write too.

This is pretty much exactly what I would have said.

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
One name for it is "Anxiety of Influence" and there are several ways to deal with it. (Bloom lists six; you seem to have gone for "askesis"). I couldn't say what's right for you - maybe this _is_ the time for you to be writing, and not reading, who knows? - but maybe it helps you to know that lots of people struggle with this.

Datapoint: all my favourite writers haven't been shy about showing their influences, I think intertextuality adds a lot to a work and all of literature is one great conversation. As a reader, I often find that writers who profess in interviews that they don't normaly read the genre in which they've just written are actually _more_ likely to be derivative. (If you aren't well versed in the genre, how could you know which of the tropes are hopelessly over-used?)

Aimless Lady

Head in the Clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maggieblackbird.com
I read hundreds of student essays and stories each year. I have never encountered a well-written piece by any author who did not read widely and with enthusiasm. So, no, I do not believe it possible to write well if you do not enjoy reading.

But I also think you will enjoy reading--and your writing will benefit--if you discover what type of book/genre you like. Perhaps you could post some titles you did enjoy, and we could suggest similar books?

Well said.

Cinnamon

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I am sorry, but I would answer this question with "no". You don't have to like reading, but you probably still have to read. I hate reading, but I read a lot, always have, and I hope always will. It wasn't so when I started consuming books in my childhood - I adored reading, but the more I read, the more... it sorta started to feel... I don't know how to describe it. Something like burning out, I guess. No matter how many genres I swapped, they could keep me excited for a book or two, but then it is always back to "I read because I have to", without passion or enjoyability. The last book I loved to bits I read in 2012, and it was a lone island in the sea of "why am I doing this to myself" that lasted me a decade or so.

I don't believe I am the only one. I know other people who were avid readers in the past and they have since lost all ardor for books, but read occasionally because that is something you have to do in the educated society. Of course one has to read if he wants to be a writer, and so I do, but it is such a chore. To add to this, I can't read a page of a book, even by an established, wonderful writer without being annoyed by at least something. Maybe it's the editor's disease in my head, but it sucks out all joy out of reading, grrr.

Eilyfe

Registered
Reaction score
I find reading to be extremely important, more so if English isn't your first language.

I'm in the same boat language-wise and I can still remember the shock I had when I first picked up an English novel - the sheer amount of ways to use language I learned from that single book has innoculated me against not reading for the rest of my life.

It wasn't even a great book.

Since then I've had my mind blown several times by much better writing. There's just so much to learn, so many words, so many ways to use them. If I couldn't read, I'd always feel as if I were missing out on some incredible way to arrange words.

So, to answer your question: I don't know if you have to read in order to write, but I know you're missing out on quite some development if you don't. At least that's my take on it.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a base question here that I think has been missed. If you don't read, how the heck are you ever going to tell if you're writing well?

Jeff

Poetical Gore

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I am sorry, but I would answer this question with "no". You don't have to like reading, but you probably still have to read. I hate reading, but I read a lot, always have, and I hope always will. It wasn't so when I started consuming books in my childhood - I adored reading, but the more I read, the more... it sorta started to feel... I don't know how to describe it. Something like burning out, I guess. No matter how many genres I swapped, they could keep me excited for a book or two, but then it is always back to "I read because I have to", without passion or enjoyability. The last book I loved to bits I read in 2012, and it was a lone island in the sea of "why am I doing this to myself" that lasted me a decade or so.

I don't believe I am the only one. I know other people who were avid readers in the past and they have since lost all ardor for books, but read occasionally because that is something you have to do in the educated society. Of course one has to read if he wants to be a writer, and so I do, but it is such a chore. To add to this, I can't read a page of a book, even by an established, wonderful writer without being annoyed by at least something. Maybe it's the editor's disease in my head, but it sucks out all joy out of reading, grrr.

It seems like every successful writer reads a shit ton. I'd say you have to like writing to be a good writer period. If you don't like reading I would say it is near impossible to like writing.
It would be like a director who doesn't like to watch movies.

Now anyone can write but few people write anything remotely good enough for someone to pay money to read.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. There is a nuance to writing that is hard to describe and teach. You learn it through reading. That doesn't mean you wont be able to write, but if you want to write really well, you should be reading a lot!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Sometimes I'll write something that may be technically correct, but doesn't feel right. Good writing IMO has a flow to it, and that's something you learn by reading... A LOT.

Say what you will about Amazon - I think they're wonderful... because years back when you'd finish a book you have to run out to the bookstore. I usually kept a stock of 'to be read' books in store, but there were times when I ran out. Oh the horror. Now I have kindle loaded on my IPAD, and I can purchase and start reading a new book at 3am on a Sunday morning - which is truly wonderful.