What books freed you from your fear of writing?

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
If not in its totality, then at least a certain aspect. As in reading some scene and realizing that yes, you can do this too, in spite of being afraid of it for so long.

Not to be confused with the nobler "I shall aspire to this incredible level too!" or the pettier "good grief, people like this crap? I can do this too!" but rather the sudden loosening of internal constraints when you see a writer write what you have been afraid to write, and in such a way as to make you realize all it takes is to start typing and believe in yourself.

An example from me would be Mystery Walk by Robert McCammon. I read the opening and the hairs on the nape of my neck stood on end--I was trying to do the same things, but without the confidence. Now I knew it could be done the way I wanted it to be done, through use of skills I already possessed in one form or another.

...This happened years ago, and since then my style has change radically, but this was an important juncture in my writing journey, and Mystery Walk helped me write certain scenes, instead of being afraid them, instead of trying to "write around them".

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Books tend to intimidate me, especially ones I can't deconstruct.

Writers themselves, though, are often inspiring, especially if they write about their own doubts, their early drafts (which in some cases are shocking) and how they got to where they are. It helps for me dispel the impression that they fell out of heaven, perfectly gifted with wordage. ;-)

For example gene Wolfe once said it takes him ten rewrites to gdt a working first draft--makes me feel better about being on my eighth or ninth rewrite lol.

Last edited:

johnsolomon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all I agree with Harlequin ^^

Secondly, I also get encouragement from seeing prolific authors being prolific. When I'm not sure whether to sit down and write, I often think about the fact that these guys are out there, RIGHT NOW, working on something new, because you know their next story will be out soon. They're only human, like me. If I do what they're doing, I can be the one whose new books are always coming out. Instant motivation.

Lastly, there are books like Twilight. I've spent a lot of time worrying about whether or not my ideas & execution are "OK". Sure, I like my stories, and someone else out there will surely enjoy them, but will it be enough? Books like Twilight fall into the category of "stuff that I'd worry would get rejected out of hand if I wrote it". When I remember that Twilight got published anyway, and found a home in the heart of millions of readers, it's evidence that my fears (and the idea of what the world wants that I've built up because of those fears) are not necessarily the reality. It makes it easier to pour more of my hopes / dreams into my stories without holding back / being crippled by uncertainty.

Last edited:

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yes, undeniably invigorating to see someone find success by writing outside the box you've built for yourself, showing through personal example that it is indeed possible. I've had to try and find my way out of quite a few such boxes built by myself and for myself over the years, and not just concerning writing:)

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
For example gene Wolfe once said it takes him ten rewrites to gdt a working first draft--makes me feel better about being on my eighth or ninth rewrite lol.

I have taken comfort from time to time that there are some authors out there who write slowly, like me. It's good not to be the only one.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this is what you meant, precisely, but there's a writing book called On Being Stuck: Tapping Into The Creative Power of Writer's Block by Laraine Herring that has helped me immensely with my fear. It helps me to focus on the fact that I'm not fearful or stuck because I'm incapable; I'm fearful or stuck because I'm paralyzed by my anxieties.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Awe might be better.

I've finished books where I've sat afterwards and wondered how the hell they came to be written. Especially when the book in question is breathtakingly complex, beautiful, engaging, inspiring, etc.

Art is (for me) a pursuit of the perfect circle; a concept we cannot physically create and yet somehow still are capable of evoking.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Never had the slightest fear of writing. I've been making stories or parts of stories ever since I learned to read. It would be like a fear of breathing.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Bridget Jones's Diary was the book that simultaneously made me think "This is awesome!" and "I could write this!"...

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
How can anyone have fear over writing? Seems absurd to me.

I have this. I'll say that it's a kind of performance anxiety/fear of being judged. I've kept a writing habit for 10 years now. I finally got round to subbing stuff three years ago. I got four rejections and I stopped writing for 14 months. That was the longest gap since I started cultivating the habit. For 14 months just thinking about writing filled me with a kind of dread. I got back to it a few months ago. I have to do a lot of mind-tricks on myself to sit down with a project, but I'm managing to get at least a paragraph down about 4 times a week (average. Might be more than that).

It's not writing per se - it's writing fiction. (I stopped writing poetry ages ago. Oddly enough, one of my parent started to treat me very differently at the time in my adolescence that I started. I stopped for a long time, then did it in my early 20s, then again late 30s - but - I don't even think of it any more)

But, I'm always happy to jot in my diary what's going on. I feel very good doing that.

I have two other things I (love to) do that also fill me with dread, sewing/designing and making music. *Sometimes* I can do these things without fear but... (I stopped making music when my last professional job 5 years ago.)

So, it might seem absurd to you now, but perhaps try and step into someone else's shoes & imagine what it must be like to want, really want to do something, but to be afraid to do that very thing...

Last edited:

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
/.../ For 14 months just thinking about writing filled me with a kind of dread. I got back to it a few months ago. I have to do a lot of mind-tricks on myself to sit down with a project, but I'm managing to get at least a paragraph down about 4 times a week (average. Might be more than that).
/.../

Ooh, mind tricks:) The last time I had to do one of those to motivate myself to write better and more confidently was...yesterday. And in general, with writing fiction, I'm not a planner, I'm a planner of the pre-planning of the pre-plan for the plan. Not only do I not wade in into the water just like that, I first scout out the beach and measure the currents and watch the behavior of the local seagulls, hedgehogs, fish, and crabs, then I figure out the temperature average, and then I start building a scaffolding. Once the structure is about three stories high and half a mile wide, and protrudes into the sea, I sit in the harness, and through careful use of pulley and levels reach the shallows and very gradually lower a toe into the water. And thus the opening of Chapter 1 gets written. Then I pull the toe out, dry it, and start building another section in order to try to lower a different toe.

All this helps me feel an artificial confidence that I know what I'm doing, even when spontaneous confidence is lacking, and that's what helps me keep going. Of course, in the bits when spontaneous confidence erupts, I am suddenly a demigod for as long as it lasts. From 1 minute to 1 day, depending on the position of the neutrinos inside the orbiting white dwarfs.

But none of this would work for very long, if I couldn't find others who did similar stuff, by using techniques on par with those I can pull off, successfully. Finding books or chapters or scenes or paragraphs written that way is a major injection of fear-suppressant. Someone has already done this, it's possible, keep going!

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I have taken comfort from time to time that there are some authors out there who write slowly, like me. It's good not to be the only one.

This. I just read a novel this week that has seen great success and I enjoyed, pleased when I read it took the author ten years to write it. Then I realized it was published almost thirty years ago--pleasure and comfort gone. :(

Jerry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can site any one book as the reason I began writing novels. I have, like most of us, read the classics, Melville, Dickens, Joyce, Milton, James, Wharton, Bellows, etc... While there is some wonderful prose to be found in the classics, and what can only be describes as meticulous planning and plotting to bring the various stories to fruition, the stories tend to be boring, at least I think so. Simply put, I decided I could do better. Whether I have or not is, of course, a matter of opinion, but we're all welcome to our own personal delusions...are we not?

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure that I had a fear to break. I've always been the type to do as I like, trying to be as defiant as possible.

That said, it was a breakthrough moment when I read The Napoleon of Notting Hill by GK Chesterton, because it is the most no-holds-barred oddity fantasy that I have ever read. It taught me that if you say what you want to say beautifully enough, you can get away with anything. Also, that anything can be lovely, even if it's an iron fence or a pharmacy.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If not in its totality, then at least a certain aspect. As in reading some scene and realizing that yes, you can do this too, in spite of being afraid of it for so long.

Well, um... Actually, none. Probably because I never started out afraid.

Jeff

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This. I just read a novel this week that has seen great success and I enjoyed, pleased when I read it took the author ten years to write it. Then I realized it was published almost thirty years ago--pleasure and comfort gone. :(

Why did the fact that the book was published 30 years ago bother you? What has that got to do with the question in this thread?

caw

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Why did the fact that the book was published 30 years ago bother you? What has that got to do with the question in this thread?

caw

The risks of posting on too little sleep with too little coffee--the convoluted jumps of my brain feel like they'd make sense :)

(I do think it makes sense to factor in when a book was published. Good writing, good stories--these will still be good thirty years later, but to some degree I think what agents/publishers look for changes because the market changes, but I agree, this would be a discussion for another thread.)

Magnificent Bastard

maybe a demon
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever experienced fear of writing in the sense you're describing... but I do know I experience "not [good] enough" a lot, especially related to writing (which, without going into personal details, can get Really Bad).

The last time that got Really Bad I happened to be reading The Golem and the Djinni, by Helene Wecker. I can't really help mentally dissecting every book I read, so I found all kinds of small things that could've been better or different, or that I would've pointed out if I was her CP/beta — but I still loved it, and it's one of my favourite books today, imperfections and all.

It sort of reminded me that even if I don't get it perfect, or even if my readers don't see it as perfect, the thing I wrote can still affect them and they can still love it, and it can still matter... so I guess it counts. (It didn't cure me of "not [good] enough", though, I don't think anything ever will)

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
/.../

The last time that got Really Bad I happened to be reading The Golem and the Djinni, by Helene Wecker. I can't really help mentally dissecting every book I read, so I found all kinds of small things that could've been better or different, or that I would've pointed out if I was her CP/beta — but I still loved it, and it's one of my favourite books today, imperfections and all.

It sort of reminded me that even if I don't get it perfect, or even if my readers don't see it as perfect, the thing I wrote can still affect them and they can still love it, and it can still matter... so I guess it counts. (It didn't cure me of "not [good] enough", though, I don't think anything ever will)

Oh, I managed to get over the perfectionism pretty decisively once I realized it didn't and couldn't lead to actual perfection in my case, only to obsessive behavior and thought patterns.

In my current world view there's:
1. The impeccable level (The Great Gatsby)
2. The brilliant level (Brothers Karamazov)
3. The terrific level (The Wasp Factory)
4. The damn good level (I Am Legend, The Keep)
5. The pretty cool level (Skull Moon, Darkness on the Edge of Town)
6. The basically OK level, and so on.

I've always hovered slightly below point 6), and now, delusions of grandeur finally cast aside, am shooting for somewhere between 6) and 5), or if the muses are merciful, between 5) and 4), having realized that this is, completely and utterly, my theoretical ceiling, unless I cut off social life and family and become a mad hermit, with even this not guaranteeing more than like a 5%-10% improvement*, which isn't worth the sacrifices it entails, because the levels of "terrific" and "brilliant", not to mention "impeccable", are out of my reach whatever I do or do not do, and that's fine.

Everyone with a bit of talent and discipline can become more or less good at some sport or at playing some instrument, but not everyone can become world champions and immortal composers and that's not some great cosmic injustice but just the way things are, and does not make life any less beautiful. Complaining that one has put in so much effort and still has not turned into Beethoven (or into Jimi Hendrix, for that matter) is not very adult. And indeed, as the many faces of pop music teach us, being able to only compose and play simpleton three-chord tunes in no way precludes having some success and making people happy.

So, out of the window went perfectionism and, as you said, as long as the story has bits the cumulative impact of which raises it to a pretty cool, or even to a damn good level--mission accomplished. Now, if I had seen even a hint along the lines that giving in to the perfectionism might have led me to write the Gatsby or Karenina of today--that might have been different--but one day clearly seeing that this was not the case really, really helped to slow down and smell the flowers.

____
* Or even lower the overall level through overwriting in the most shallow and melodramatic ways that were supposed to play the role of human condition depth but failed miserably, because that's just the person I am, with these capabilities. In musical terms, when I did go for broke in the mad hermit total focus sense, while I thought I was creating a mix of jazz and classical music, I was in reality doing bottom-level synth-driven progressive rock of the vilest, most laughable kind. Better, in this case, to take a step back and work on being a quality variation of something along the lines of The Ramones and The Misfits, or Venom and Slayer, then do phony pseudo-complex stuff.
Knowing your weaknesses and working around them, instead of being in denial about them, can be beneficial, IMO.

Last edited:

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
I am ashamed to admit this but I will on occasion stumble over awful books and think: if they can write that and people read it, what am I afraid of?

Sometime this back fires though... I recently read the massively popular I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes and thought: maybe I really don't get it... And that's almost a little more worrying.