Who has had the roughest ride on GoT so far?

Who has had the worst ride?

• Total voters

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Voted Sansa, but my second choice would be Cersei. She is not a sympathetic character, but hoo boy, has she had some shit thrown at her (figuratively and literally).

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Theon? didn't think it was close.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Egh. Theon was a murderer and a lech before Ramsay got hold of him. Sansa was just spoiled and naive and has had to deal with both Joffrey and Ramsay.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm voting Sansa. Young, sheltered and spoiled but she wasn't conniving, manipulative or scheming. She had the mindset of many highborn Ladies, be a proper Lady, marry well and have lots of sons.

Aggy, you said what I was thinking about Theon. He betrayed his closest friend, attacked the Stark home, killing those who had cared for him while he was growing up, murdered two innocent farm boys. Granted Ramsey's abused of him was horrific, but Theon had done horrific things to innocent people.

Cersei has been a pawn of her father, abused by her lout of a husband, but from childhood, she was cruel, manipulative and hateful.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Arya. There is something so soul-crushing about being THAT CLOSE to being reunited with her mother, only to have Catelyn (and Robb and the others, but especially her mom) slaughtered just as she and the Hound reach the Twins. She must lie awake and wonder what they could have done to arrive just a few minutes earlier, and maybe somehow rescue her mother.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
This is such a hard poll because so many of these characters have struggled in so many ways. I do feel bad for Theon. Yes, he betrayed the Starks but he was every bit a product of his background as Cersi was. And she killed a lot more people. I'm more sympathetic to his plots than hers. Neither of them get my vote, however, because I tend to think bad people get what's coming to them.

For me, it's a tie between Sansa and Arya. Good girls who were delt terrible hands. I think Arya has found her strength, however, with Sansa not far behind. I fully expect both girls to emerge as great influences on the outcome of the show in one way or another.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Obviously, there's no right answer. How bad its been for a given character can be mitigated by that character's actions (like with Theon), or not.

I voted Arya, not only because of the horrors she's gone through, but also because she's young and has had to go it alone for so long. But I think a case can be made for just about any of them, really. Jon, for instance, has died. That has to suck...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Sansa was more alone than Arya.

Arya was smuggled out of Westeros by Yoren. She met Gendry and Hotpie and Jaqen. She was with Gendry and Hotpie and Jacqen until they fled Harrenhall. Jaqen went on his way but she had Gendry and Hotpie until the Brothers Without Banners.she was with them until she ended up with The Hound. All of them looked out for her in one way or another. After leaving The Hound she was alone as she went to Bravvos and Jaqen. Arya is only now truly alone as she travels home

Sansa was surrounded by people in King's Landing but had no one. For a brief time she had Shae. Although Shae was kind she was powerless to aid her any way. The only time she had any sort of protection was briefly after she married Tyrion. Once she left with Littlefinger, she was bring manipulated by someone she thought she could trust. he then foists her onto Ramsey and we know how that went.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I see Arya as being more alone because she is constantly in places where she knows no one, where no one knows her, ever since she fled from Kings Landing. She couldn't be herself, she had to always obscure who she was. There was rarely anyone to give her hope. And she had to scrape by on a day to day existence. Sansa has always been able to be Sansa. And while she was separated from her family, she at least remained--for a long time--in familiar environs with a lifestyle she was used to, with people who knew who she was, knew her situation, even if the were sometimes liars.

But again, there's no right answer here.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
When you get into this much betrayal, pain, abuse, torture, loss etc, I'm not sure there's a "most." It's like saying which is more a piece of fruit: an apple or an orange? They're different, but comparable.

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
Agree that Sansa has had it the hardest. Difficult to re-watch scenes from season one when she was a ditsy little teenager, knowing the long path she'd soon go down.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I think being broken to the point of thinking you are a dog (Reek), being violated in unimaginable ways, having your penis cut off . . . can be considered "having it bad."

He's done despicable things, including killing children. (So did Jaime.)
He was a disrespectful little shit. (So were a lot of characters.)

But yeah, I don't think anyone deserves Ramsey's torture. Sansa definitely had it worse, yes, but Theon wasn't on a list that included Jaime and others who didn't come close to surviving the same horror.

Then again, I am a sucker for redemption, and I think Theon has earned it. Reading the books, I HATED that I realized I had forgiven him, but that's what GRRM does best. He did it with the Kingslayer too, and Jaime's chapters became my favorite.

JoyceAernouts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smalltownjoyce.wordpress.com
Arya will always be my girl, but Sansa deserves some serious respect! She's one (if not the only one) who has escaped from King's Landing and Cersei's wrath. Only to fall into Littlefinger's fingers and later end up with Ramsey. And now she's standing tall, the lady of winterfell.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Arya will always be my girl, but Sansa deserves some serious respect! She's one (if not the only one) who has escaped from King's Landing and Cersei's wrath. Only to fall into Littlefinger's fingers and later end up with Ramsey. And now she's standing tall, the lady of winterfell.

Yeah, I LOVE That she is rocking things so hard right now.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roughest ride/dealt the worst is a kind of open to interpretation. If it's according to what they "deserve", then Theon and Cersei are straight out.

If it's what would I personally never want to have happen to me, Theon wins.

If it's injustices (not deserved), I'd say it's more of a four-way tie for second place among Jon, Dany, Sansa, and Arya, in that order.

But they all made choices, even if ignorantly. Jon chose to join the Night's Watch and break the tradition, Dany chose to pursue power and the Seven Kingdoms, Sansa chose to leave Winterfell and marry a king, Arya chose to make her list.

Jaime is an anomaly - I like him a lot, and feel for him, but he's made a ton of crap choices, few to none of them ignorant.

Tyrion is golden. Why is he on the list? ;)

And then there's Bran. He never did anything except climb a wall he'd climbed a million times, at the wrong time. He annoys the hell out of me, but I can't for the life of me think of a single thing he's done in selfishness or malice or greed or even ignorance. His choices were taken away from him in Season 1, Episode 1. That, and assuming a life as the three-eyed raven is a life no one would want, I voted for Bran.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sansa chose to leave Winterfell and marry a king.

Sansa didn't choose to leave Winterfell to marry a king. She was barely a young teen. Her parents and Robert Baratheon arranged her marriage to Joffrey to finally unite the Starks and Baratheons. Sansa was raised to be a highborn Ladywife. She was doing as she had been raised to. The Starks left Winterfell so Ned could be Hand of the King. She was left in King's Landing alone, after her father's execution and her mother leaving.

Cersei and Joffrey tormented and abused her the entire time, using threats against her and her family to manipulate her. Joffrey had her stripped and beaten in front of the Court.

Jaime is an anomaly - I like him a lot, and feel for him, but he's made a ton of crap choices, few to none of them ignorant.

Jamie raped his sister next to their dead son's body and pushed a small child out a window to kill him.

And then there's Bran. He never did anything except climb a wall he'd climbed a million times, at the wrong time. He annoys the hell out of me, but I can't for the life of me think of a single thing he's done in selfishness or malice or greed or even ignorance. His choices were taken away from him in Season 1, Episode 1. That, and assuming a life as the three-eyed raven is a life no one would want, I voted for Bran.

My big problem with Bran was his disregarding a lot of what the 3 eyed raven was telling him. He liked learning about his power, but ignored the discipline and restrictions that went along with it. He gave the White Walkers a way through and he's directly responsible for the deaths of Hodor and Summer.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Despite the actor looking older and older, Bran is still a kid (even in a world where kids grow up fast). He's younger than Arya and has finally found a way to have some power in a world that sees him as useless.

Arya made reckless choices and didn't listen to Jaqen and suffered consequences too. Bran has (potentially) far more power than she does, but not yet much more wisdom. (Although that may come more quickly now that he can see so much more.) And, yeah. Bran can be frustrating because we want to see him doing amazing things with his abilities, not being stupid, but I feel like that would be a little unrealistic.

Theon certainly didn't deserve what Ramsay did to him, but he made a series of very distinct choices that put him into the position where he was captured by the Boltons. (Choices which involved betrayal, murder and greed.) Sure, he was basically a hostage who was then not welcomed home because he had adopted some of the ways of Westeros instead of clinging fully to his Iron Island roots. But I don't remember him being treated worse than Jon, despite acting like a shit to the Stark siblings. (Been a while since I read that first book.)

All of which is to say, some of the characters did things that put them in bad situations. Some of them had a distinct lack of control over their situation and suffered for it. And some made bad choices and paid a price because they are still kind of young and stupid.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well said, AggyB.

And regdog, I don't mean to imply that Sansa had control - she was just a young teen (younger in the books I think) but her attitude started out with hating boring old Winterfell and begging her mother to let her go to King's Landing - and even not wanting to leave when Ned told them they needed to because she wanted to marry Joffrey and be his queen. But like AggyB (and Sansa herself, later) said, she was just young and stupid. And just to be clear, Sansa is one of my most favorite characters.

eta: damnit, I forgot about Bran disobeying the three-eyed raven. regdog is right; bad choice right there.

Last edited:

froglivers

Registered
Reaction score
Even though my gut feelz always puts Sansa first--Queen in the North!--I didn't vote for her.

And no one had it easy-- except, oh lordy, Joffrey maybe? Right up until he died? And despite being the shittiest little shit, his 'father' despised him openly and his mother coddled him into a rotten egg so...

Wait, where was I? Right: so, I'd go with Theon. The worst thing is, the Stark kids had bad things happen to them because they were (big) small players swept up in big events. They made small bad choices, but nothing terribly egregious.

Theon... I mean, he was a small player, too, who made shit choices, but the BIGGEST shit choice was his own, and therefore will always know that everything bad that happened to him was ALL HIS OWN FAULT. And that's makes it all the worse.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My big problem with Bran was his disregarding a lot of what the 3 eyed raven was telling him. He liked learning about his power, but ignored the discipline and restrictions that went along with it. He gave the White Walkers a way through and he's directly responsible for the deaths of Hodor and Summer.
I'm not sure why Bran, himself, should have just gone along with whatever the 3 eyed raven told him. An old man stuck in a tree tells you what to do and you're just going to follow his lead?

Regardless, being responsible for the deaths of two innocents isn't exactly shocking, imo. That pretty much makes Bran low man on the totem pole, no? Hell, Sansa was directly responsible for the deaths of Lady and the butcher's boy in the early days of season one. And she was hardly in danger of dying at that moment, unlike Bran.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Put Sansa, because it's the case. But let's talk about the many pits of suck Sam's been in, and how he's gonna end up saving Westeros because of it. Though with his family being Targ'd, I guess he stands to inherit a lot of land soon (more when the Lannisters go down).