WSJ Reporting Mueller Has Empanelled a Grand Jury

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Watergate took years. From 1971, when the burglars were caught, to 1973 when Liddy was convicted, to 1974 when Nixon resigned.

In 1972 Nixon won a second term with a huge pop vote despite the burglary cloud. (I and everyone I knew voted for McGovern. We were devastated but there was no Russia meddling back then--only a dirty tricks mentality.)

In 1973 one of the burglars in jail said he was forced to perjure himself. This heated things up, as I remember, but it was late summer before things got really hot. Agnew resigned because they nailed him on corruption charges. The Saturday Night Massacre was that fall. The spring of 74 the hassle over releasing the tapes began. As I remember this is when most people began to desert Nixon because he was "acting" like he had something to hide.( Like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs one of my older friends said. Yrump is acting like he has a nine foot tail!) Sometime that summer the courts ordered that the actual tapes be turned over. There was plenty in the tapes to show that Nixon was a liar and a self centered megalomaniac (but nothing touching the things Trump has done and said publicly from the start.) Sometime in there All the President's Men came out. That got people talking--about like now. Impeachment began that summer and Nixon resigned In August of 1974.

This thing is going much faster but that is because Trump doing a lot of the work himself --s6

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Any theories on what this means?

Special counsel's Russia probe loses top FBI investigator

One of the FBI's top investigators, tapped by special counsel Robert Mueller just weeks ago to help lead the probe of Russian meddling in last year's presidential election, has left Mueller’s team, sources tell ABC News.

The recent departure of FBI veteran Peter Strzok is the first known hitch in a secretive probe that by all public accounts is charging full-steam ahead. Just last week, news surfaced that Mueller's team had executed a search warrant at the Virginia home of Donald Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort. And the week before that ABC News confirmed Mueller is now using a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., to collect documents and other evidence.

It's unclear why Strzok stepped away from Mueller's team of nearly two dozen lawyers, investigators and administrative staff. Strzok, who has spent much of his law enforcement career working counterintelligence cases and has been unanimously praised by government officials who spoke with ABC News, is now working for the FBI's human resources division.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently he was in on the Hilary E-mail investigations as well? He was brought in at the start of the Russian probe - maybe he's just sick to the back teeth of political double-dealing and had some sort of a melt-down in a meeting?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guardian: Trump's lawyer emailed Kremlin about real estate project during campaign
Donald Trump’s lawyer emailed Vladimir Putin’s spokesman during the US presidential campaign asking for help with a Trump real estate project in Moscow, according to email evidence presented to Congress.

Michael Cohen, who was vice-president of the Trump Organization at the time as well as being Trump’s attorney, sent an email to Dmitry Peskov, a top Kremlin official, according to the Washington Post.

“Over the past few months I have been working with a company based in Russia regarding the development of a Trump Tower-Moscow project in Moscow City,” the Post reported, citing “a person familiar with the email”.

“Without getting into lengthy specifics the communication between our two sides has stalled,” Cohen said in the Peskov email, which is the most direct high-level communication between the Trump camp and the Kremlin to have emerged so far in the sprawling investigation into Trump-Moscow links.

Other emails published on Monday showed that the Trump Tower project was being promoted by a Russian-born business associate of Trump who was claiming he could persuade Vladimir Putin to back the real estate scheme and help get Trump elected president.

The new details about Trump’s links with the Kremlin, now being investigated by a special prosecutor, emerged from the leaks of emails sent by Felix Sater, who worked for the Trump Organization pursuing property deals around the world.

Sater’s emails, sent in late 2015 to Trump’s lawyer and then Trump Organization vice-president, Michael Cohen, gave an upbeat assessment of the chances of getting Putin to back the development of a Trump Tower in Moscow and the positive knock-on effect that would have on Trump’s presidential campaign.

“Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it,” Sater said, according to an email published by the New York Times. “I will get all of Putin’s team to buy in on this, I will manage this process.”
Cohen downplayed it in Congressional testimony similar to how Donald Jr downplayed the information on Clinton he got when meeting with Russians. And like that denial, those pesky facts are a problem.
The Trump Organization is reported to have handed the emails to congressional committee carrying out a parallel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. It issued a statement Monday saying: “To be clear, the Trump Organization has never had any real estate holdings or interests in Russia.”

However, the Cohen email to Peskov suggest that the organization was still eagerly pursuing a Trump Tower development in Moscow months after Trump entered the presidential race.

And somehow they never seem to have employed these guys and Trump doesn't remember them. :tongue
However, the Trump Organization denied it ever formally employed Sater. Questioned in late 2015, about the time Sater was sending emails about Moscow, Trump claimed not to remember him.

Here's the cited WA Po story.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
This better not go anywhere:

Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) is pushing an amendment to severely curtail special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia.

DeSantis has put forward a provision that would halt funding for Mueller’s probe six months after the amendment’s passage. It also would prohibit Mueller from investigating matters that occurred before June 2015, when Trump launched his presidential campaign.

The amendment is one of hundreds filed to a government spending package the House is expected to consider when it returns next week from the August recess. The provision is not guaranteed a vote on the House floor; the House Rules Committee has wide leeway to discard amendments it considers out of order.