Where does a specific genre fit in?

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing (ok, written - writing the sequel, set in the same universe) a retelling of a fairy tale, set in modern time. Would that be regular fantasy? This part - what box to stick it in - has me very confused!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly contemporary fantasy. If it takes place mostly in the city it might be Urban Fantasy. Best suggestion is to look through some descriptions and opening pages of things in various Fantasy genres and see which ones seem similar to yours. That's probably your genre.

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking at various descriptions for a while now, and I have no idea why I overlooked contemporary. That fits, because it's not an urban (not set in a city - not even close!).

Thank you!

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed 100% with the above, although I have seen stuff classified as "Urban Fantasy" without a single city in it. A lot of contemporary work is getting put into that classification for some reason (perhaps because it's currently in fashion, I don't know).

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
As noted by gbondoni (hola, porteño!), some people use "urban fantasy" as a synonym for "contemporary fantasy" even though strictly speaking it means fantasy set in cities. So you COULD call your story UF. Still, I agree with the others who've said call it contemporary fantasy.

There's a sticky that goes into more detail: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?277806-The-What%92s-My-Genre-Subgenre-FAQ

Why are you concerned about what slot to fit your story into? Is this just for yourself, or are you thinking of describing it to others, such as beta readers or agents?

Last edited: