showing your agent a work-in-progress?

rainbowfish

Registered
Reaction score
For those who are agented, have you ever showed a work-in-progress to your agent? Mine offered, and I'd like their feedback, but it seems like an odd thing to have them look at something that's not perfectly polished.

BrianY

Registered
Reaction score
Fiction or non-fiction?

I've shown cookbook outlines with great success.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
For those who are agented, have you ever showed a work-in-progress to your agent? Mine offered, and I'd like their feedback, but it seems like an odd thing to have them look at something that's not perfectly polished.

I've done this a number of times, both with books under contract (but not yet written) and books I'm just starting. It really depends on the agent, and what you want to get out of their feedback, but AFAIK it's not unusual.

rainbowfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! It's fiction, and it's a book I'm just starting.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I usually show my agent what I'm working on once I have about the first 1/3-1/2 the book done. It gives him a chance to offer feedback and also start looking at who he wants to send it to once it's done. (I usually provide a kind of mini-synopsis as well, just a couple paragraphs like I would if I were querying the MS.)

I also give him a rough estimate of when I think I'll have the first solid draft* done so he can plan on reading the whole thing. (Which may or may not cut down on the amount of time I have to wait for a thumbs up or request for more revisions when he reads it.)

*Not necessarily a first draft. But usually a draft which I have gone through a few times to fix things I've made notes on, but not typically a final draft. In part because my agent is a former editor and I do like to wait and see if he has particular notes before I make the last pass or so with revisions.

rainbowfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm fairly new to this, so the input from all of you has been very helpful.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually don't. I only did so once, when I wrote something completely different from what he's used to seeing from me (it was a fluffy, lighthearted contemporary romance as opposed to my usual grim, murder-filled books). I showed him the first chapter because I was so nervous about writing something so different. He loved it so, so much, and at first I was elated, but then as I continued writing, I couldn't help thinking, WHAT IF THE REST OF THE BOOK IS A LETDOWN. But if he hadn't loved the first chapter, I would've given up on the MS, so showing my agent unfinished work is kind of a lose-lose for me. I won't be doing that again unless there's a solid reason why I need to.

rainbowfish

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point too. However, this agent is so calm and non-commital until something is complete, I don't think they'd react like that. :) They'll let me know if they don't like it though. I'd rather know if I'm on the right track after a few months of work than a year.