Laugh so you don't cry

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
Last night, at about 10 pm, I decided to send out a batch of queries. Carefully checked and rechecked the letters, the synopsis, the spelling of the name of each agent--every detail. Read everything through twice, and ran spellcheck. Cut and pasted into the emails per submission guidelines, and sent.

This morning I re-read them. In all six queries, the last sentence of the first paragraph of the query ends with a comma instead of a period.

My stomach sank--then I laughed so hard I could barely stand up, shook my head, shrugged it off, and went back to work. Anyone who's feeling down today, please feel free to have a good, honest laugh on me.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine that teeny typographical error being an issue of accept/reject. Any agent who would be that anal-retentive is an agent you don't want to work with.

caw

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
What blacbird said. I don't think anybody would be so petty as to reject you for that. Hopefully they'll be so enthralled by your premise that they won't even notice!

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement.

It's the little errors like that that drive me to distraction. I had a nonfiction piece published years ago, After all my edits, followed by the copyediting and galleying that had at least a dozen staff editor eyes on the piece, it published with a glaring error in the first sentence of the first footnote.