Irish mythology based YA and its troubles

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
Hello everyone.

Sorry about the second thread in this section, but I came to the conclusion that the current WIP that I have been working on for the last week has too many similarities to an already popularized book and feel as though I probably can't continue with it.

With that being said, it WAS a WIP I started working on due to the fact that the one that I was most passionate about started to give me an uneasy feeling that it wasn't diverse enough. So I'm hoping that this is the correct place to put something like this (or the POC section, not sure).

Essentially, this story is about a girl who lost her father a decade ago and hasn't been seen since. She used to live in Galway, Ireland with them until her father disappeared and her mother and her moved to Boston, Massachusetts to be in a community in the U.S. that made them feel safe. She has felt like an outsider her entire life in spite of that due to her father's absence. She has a boyfriend who has "medical issues" that has turned his hair white and his skin pale and his eyes an iridescent blue. She later finds out it's not a medical condition at all, it is due to the fact that he's half dead and has the spirit of a banshee living in him due to his own mother's death. She later finds out that she is the heir to the throne of Ireland and the Otherworld, her father having left due to the fact that a Druid had gone rogue and accepted the dark magics in an effort to take out the King and the other three royal members. More Irish mythology is involved in this but it's just a short summary.

Now, my question regarding this is that I stopped writing it due to the fact that I was worried I didn't have enough diversity in it. The question of diversity and what it encompasses isn't in question, but rather the perception of what diversity is. Because in my story, I have LGBTQ+ characters as well as disabled characters. The problem I'm running into is the ethnicity diversity. I went to look up the demographics of both Galway, Ireland and Boston, Massachusetts, and both places have over 80% white people. I didn't want to feel disingenuous to the story and the culture I'm writing about (a culture that I'm a part of and feel passionately for) but I also am EXTREMELY aware of the necessity of diversity in YA fiction especially. My first novel is full of ethnic diversity but I'm running into a road block of having to write about a culture that is predominantly white.

One of the characters in the story is a black girl who I was planning on having be a bigger presence in the second book of the series, but currently only serves as the MC's best friend who essentially attempts to work through the MC's anxieties and eventually pushes her to the brink that causes the big turning point of my MC realizing that something is just not right. Other than that, she doesn't have a huge impact on the first part of the story.

The question, in short form, is how to do I combat this, and if so, can ethnic diversity be nixed as long as other diverse groups are represented? I don't want to have to do that, but it's this guilty part of my brain that's telling me that this story shouldn't be written if it's not going to help the industry in a place where it needs it most.

All the help would be appreciated. I'm hoping I can overcome this worry. Thank you to all in advance for any advice.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Sorry about the second thread in this section, but I came to the conclusion that the current WIP that I have been working on for the last week has too many similarities to an already popularized book and feel as though I probably can't continue with it.

With that being said, it WAS a WIP I started working on due to the fact that the one that I was most passionate about started to give me an uneasy feeling that it wasn't diverse enough. So I'm hoping that this is the correct place to put something like this (or the POC section, not sure).

Essentially, this story is about a girl who lost her father a decade ago and hasn't been seen since. She used to live in Galway, Ireland with them until her father disappeared and her mother and her moved to Boston, Massachusetts to be in a community in the U.S. that made them feel safe. She has felt like an outsider her entire life in spite of that due to her father's absence. She has a boyfriend who has "medical issues" that has turned his hair white and his skin pale and his eyes an iridescent blue. She later finds out it's not a medical condition at all, it is due to the fact that he's half dead and has the spirit of a banshee living in him due to his own mother's death. She later finds out that she is the heir to the throne of Ireland and the Otherworld, her father having left due to the fact that a Druid had gone rogue and accepted the dark magics in an effort to take out the King and the other three royal members. More Irish mythology is involved in this but it's just a short summary.

Now, my question regarding this is that I stopped writing it due to the fact that I was worried I didn't have enough diversity in it. The question of diversity and what it encompasses isn't in question, but rather the perception of what diversity is. Because in my story, I have LGBTQ+ characters as well as disabled characters. The problem I'm running into is the ethnicity diversity. I went to look up the demographics of both Galway, Ireland and Boston, Massachusetts, and both places have over 80% white people. I didn't want to feel disingenuous to the story and the culture I'm writing about (a culture that I'm a part of and feel passionately for) but I also am EXTREMELY aware of the necessity of diversity in YA fiction especially. My first novel is full of ethnic diversity but I'm running into a road block of having to write about a culture that is predominantly white.

One of the characters in the story is a black girl who I was planning on having be a bigger presence in the second book of the series, but currently only serves as the MC's best friend who essentially attempts to work through the MC's anxieties and eventually pushes her to the brink that causes the big turning point of my MC realizing that something is just not right. Other than that, she doesn't have a huge impact on the first part of the story.

The question, in short form, is how to do I combat this, and if so, can ethnic diversity be nixed as long as other diverse groups are represented? I don't want to have to do that, but it's this guilty part of my brain that's telling me that this story shouldn't be written if it's not going to help the industry in a place where it needs it most.

All the help would be appreciated. I'm hoping I can overcome this worry. Thank you to all in advance for any advice.

Wait, is the problem that you think it's too similar to something out or that you don't have people of colour in it?

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
LOL, oops, I probably should've clarified that.

Another WIP was too similar to something else. I should've clarified that. Not this particular one.

The problem with THIS ONE is that I'm having trouble with ethnic diversity for it due to the subject matter. I have LGBTQ+ and disabled diversity, just not ethnic.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Some thoughts:

If you actually look at medieval Irish texts regarding the Otherworld and its inhabitants, they're not all white.

If you look at Ireland in the early Middle Ages, it's still not all white. Remember, the Romans were in Ireland, they made camps, etc. but didn't bother to invade.

And the Irish and Celts in general traded with peoples from all over. There's archaeological data to substantiate that. They also kept slaves, and engaged in slave trading with Romans. The popular idea of the medieval era and Europe as all white all the time is inaccurate in the extreme.

Given that Otherworld residents tend to have long lives, if they're not dead or immortal by nature, I think there are a number of solutions, not the least of which involves shape-shifting and changelings, etc.

Last edited:

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
See, and I thought about that, too. The problem that I'm facing now is modern day demographics. While sure, there are people of color obviously in both places, its 80% white or more even still.

Which there is actually a Changeling in my story that is revealed later on, which thank you for bringing that up! ;)

The thing I contemplated on doing is involving a mixed race character. There's more Indian immigrants to the UK than there are African, but I was contemplating on doing something like that instead, but I wasn't sure given the text we do have of Irish folklore and stories.

The Otherworld residents in this story are going to be more Sidhe like, so they won't really have a modern notion of "race" per se. They're going to be their own sort of thing. I have them with the look of bodies like diamond or glass.

Thoughts?

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I went to look up the demographics of both Galway, Ireland and Boston, Massachusetts, and both places have over 80% white people.

I think your statistics about Boston aren't correct. Take a look at this. It's more like 53 % white with a variety of other minorities making up the rest.

Boston is a melting pot and your character would probably be surrounded by diversity.

And remember, one Boston neighborhood is very different from another. It's not just that she moved to Boston. Where in Boston?

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
I think your statistics about Boston aren't correct. Take a look at this. It's more like 53 % white with a variety of other minorities making up the rest.

Boston is a melting pot and your character would probably be surrounded by diversity.

And remember, one Boston neighborhood is very different from another. It's not just that she moved to Boston. Where in Boston?

I completely forgot about the census. I was looking at different articles regarding the population. Thank you for the link! That helps a lot!

I haven't detailed exactly where but I know that she moved somewhere in South Boston. I figured if her mother was an Irish immigrant, she'd want to be in a neighborhood with familiars. I just haven't mapped out exactly where yet. I'm still in the first draft stages just getting down plot and characters before I do details.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'd have thought Boston would have rather a lot of diversity, being such a major college town and all.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's great that you're working to find ways to build more diversity into your manuscript. I just wanted to suggest you use "people-first language" when speaking about people with disabilities... i.e. writing "people with disabilities" rather than "disabled characters" or "disabled diversity."

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
I think it's great that you're working to find ways to build more diversity into your manuscript. I just wanted to suggest you use "people-first language" when speaking about people with disabilities... i.e. writing "people with disabilities" rather than "disabled characters" or "disabled diversity."

Thank you for correcting me. You're absolutely right. :D I'll keep that in mind.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
See, and I thought about that, too. The problem that I'm facing now is modern day demographics. While sure, there are people of color obviously in both places, its 80% white or more even still.

That hasn't been true of Boston since the 1980s, at least. Ireland, especially since the "Celtic tiger" emergence has been much less white, particularly in urban areas.

Which there is actually a Changeling in my story that is revealed later on, which thank you for bringing that up! ;)

The thing I contemplated on doing is involving a mixed race character. There's more Indian immigrants to the UK than there are African, but I was contemplating on doing something like that instead, but I wasn't sure given the text we do have of Irish folklore and stories.

The Otherworld residents in this story are going to be more Sidhe like, so they won't really have a modern notion of "race" per se. They're going to be their own sort of thing. I have them with the look of bodies like diamond or glass.

See, that's my point. The modern idea of the Sídhe is largely based on other modern fantasy. If you look at good recent translations you'll notice that they're not all that human; they have multiple pupils, for instance, stripes, multi-colored hair in non-typical patterns . . . (this may of course be due to dye, but the texts don't say; they just describe).

The word Sídhe refers, in a way, to two groups of peoples; the descendants of the Tuatha De Danan, who went under hill (síd = hill) after they lost the second battle of Maige Tuired to the Sons of Míl (the Milesians/Irish), but it's also used, often, to refer to all otherworld species.

Some of which do not look like Caucasians, (or human) at all. See fomoire and fír bolg, for instance.

And you've got people like Macha, who changes into a horse, and has foals.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I have the timeframe right, but I think you are saying your MC moved to Boston around 2007? By then, South Boston's formerly working-class Irish identity was already becoming heavily diversified by the economic pressures of the real estate bubble. Lots of young professionals and families started buying up the properties formerly owned by older residents. Also, the aggressive development of the waterfront area has turned a big section of South Boston into upscale housing and high priced restaurants. Over the howling protests of South Boston pols, the city has attempted to re-brand that significant chunk of South Boston into "The Seaport District." If you do have your MC fleeing to South Boston around the time the real estate bubble burst, she may have less of a problem finding diversity and more of a problem finding remnants of the tightly knit Irish-Catholic enclave South Boston used to be.

Ketzel, who gets a headache just walking past the restaurants that offer "Wicked Awesome Chowdah and Lobstah."

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have thought Boston would have rather a lot of diversity, being such a major college town and all.

The diversity is readily apparent if you take the T on any weekday morning.

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
Thank you everyone for your responses! They've already been helpful! I suppose I should pose a new question at this point then:

I have thought about making one of the four MC's mixed race. It's more of the diversity of Ireland and the UK in general as opposed to Boston itself since only part of the story takes place there but it's origins lie in Ireland. I loved how AW Admin pointed out the diversity in medieval Ireland and thought about that as a whole, but the modern day demographics of Ireland aren't stellar in that favor. However, I have posed the idea of potentially having the parents of this character be one from Ireland, that has the abilities necessary to pass down to their child, and the other from another one of the UK countries since they are obviously close together geographically.

The question that this scenario brings me to is, weirdly enough, is does anyone think that if I were to say bring in a mixed race girl in that is half Indian, half Irish, would it take too much away from her origins as an Indian? I'm more worried about the culture erasure if anything. Since this is based heavily in Irish lore and myth, I want to avoid potentially erasing the fact that one character is, in fact, half Indian, or African, or Asian or what have you. I don't want to have to focus just on the white part of her and ignore the other half due to the primary subject matter in which I'm exploring.

I know Rick Riordan did this pretty well with Percy Jackson. Is there any suggestions from my fellow AW members that could help me navigate this issue?

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
That hasn't been true of Boston since the 1980s, at least. Ireland, especially since the "Celtic tiger" emergence has been much less white, particularly in urban areas.

See, that's my point. The modern idea of the Sídhe is largely based on other modern fantasy. If you look at good recent translations you'll notice that they're not all that human; they have multiple pupils, for instance, stripes, multi-colored hair in non-typical patterns . . . (this may of course be due to dye, but the texts don't say; they just describe).

The word Sídhe refers, in a way, to two groups of peoples; the descendants of the Tuatha De Danan, who went under hill (síd = hill) after they lost the second battle of Maige Tuired to the Sons of Míl (the Milesians/Irish), but it's also used, often, to refer to all otherworld species.

Some of which do not look like Caucasians, (or human) at all. See fomoire and fír bolg, for instance.

And you've got people like Macha, who changes into a horse, and has foals.

I love how you're knowledgeable on this. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that there's someone who has done research, too. Thank you for your input!

Now, with that being said about the Sidhe, I'm aware of the fir bolg and the Fomorians (the one-eyed creatures that killed if they opened their eye had been part of the MS once, but I nixed it). That was what I was going for was not making them look entirely human at all. Since the story centers around the Four Treasures of the Tuatha De Denaan and somewhat taking from the King Arthur myth (since I believe its origins were thought to be Irish anyway), the four MC's had to be human, but the Sidhe of the Otherworld don't have to be. Part of the story does take place there and the four islands.

AW Admin, you're magical. I hope you know that. I don't know if you could continue to help me in regards to things I may have missed in my research or if this is the proper venue to do it, but I value your input on this subject. Hopefully you wouldn't mind continuing to assist! :D

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
I'm not sure I have the timeframe right, but I think you are saying your MC moved to Boston around 2007? By then, South Boston's formerly working-class Irish identity was already becoming heavily diversified by the economic pressures of the real estate bubble. Lots of young professionals and families started buying up the properties formerly owned by older residents. Also, the aggressive development of the waterfront area has turned a big section of South Boston into upscale housing and high priced restaurants. Over the howling protests of South Boston pols, the city has attempted to re-brand that significant chunk of South Boston into "The Seaport District." If you do have your MC fleeing to South Boston around the time the real estate bubble burst, she may have less of a problem finding diversity and more of a problem finding remnants of the tightly knit Irish-Catholic enclave South Boston used to be.

Ketzel, who gets a headache just walking past the restaurants that offer "Wicked Awesome Chowdah and Lobstah."

Oh wow, okay. That definitely helps too. So regardless if my MC's mother was wanting to be in an area where she felt "safe" since she is essentially running from a magical evil and wanted to have some sort of familiarity with her own people, there's really no where in Boston she could go that hasn't already been diversified in some way? Which is totally fine by me, and yes, they did move there around 2007 or 2008 in that general time frame.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, okay. That definitely helps too. So regardless if my MC's mother was wanting to be in an area where she felt "safe" since she is essentially running from a magical evil and wanted to have some sort of familiarity with her own people, there's really no where in Boston she could go that hasn't already been diversified in some way? Which is totally fine by me, and yes, they did move there around 2007 or 2008 in that general time frame.

At that time, and still today, I'd say the answer to that question is yes. But bear in mind that the diversity I speak of was driven by price. If your character is arriving as an immigrant without significant financial resources or skills of high value, she won't find the vast majority of 2007 Boston an affordable place to live.

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
At that time, and still today, I'd say the answer to that question is yes. But bear in mind that the diversity I speak of was driven by price. If your character is arriving as an immigrant without significant financial resources or skills of high value, she won't find the vast majority of 2007 Boston an affordable place to live.

She's the wife of a King, so I think that she would. That part is still going to be worked out in later drafts because my MC's father is the King of the Otherworld/Ireland so I would assume that he had access to treasures that he could've used to garner a significant amount of U.S. currency or some sort of old money in that sense.

But in case I don't go that route, are there other places in Boston that Irish immigrants tend to go to that isn't so much high priced real estate and more for a "just starting out" sort of place?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
She has a boyfriend who has "medical issues" that has turned his hair white and his skin pale and his eyes an iridescent blue.

As someone who used a very similar combination in a novel, I caution you: Tread carefully in how you describe this. You've got a set of conditions that mirror albinism. (Many humans with the condition have exceptionally light/bright blue eyes rather than red, whereas the default in other animals is usually the opposite.)

I say "caution" because you're calling it a medical condition, but it's really a "magical malady" situation. Do what's right for your story, but remember that there are people, children and teens included, who share this set of traits due to actual genetics. Any time you use symptoms of real medical issues, be they physical or mental, you have to balance on that blade's edge of not turning the character into the "illness makes you chosen for greatness" cliche.

Also, please be aware that if you use albinism/albino in your story (which you may not), "albino" as a descriptor is highly offensive to a large portion of people with the condition. They have albinism, they are not albinos.

Last edited:

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
Oh! Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I didn't realize that.

Allow me to describe the character and maybe you can help me with it?

This character has white hair and either those blue eyes or nearly white eyes, I haven't decided yet due to his character. His mother died during childbirth and he was still attached to the umbilical cord when she passed, but he was born before anything drastic could happen to him. I'm using the varying myths of banshees in order to give him this back story. He doesn't have anything significantly wrong with him in this sense, but he does have the ability to predict death, such as what a banshee does in myth. However, in the beginning of the story, he has to hide what he really is due to the MC's lack of knowledge of this world's existence, so he and his father had to make up something in order for it to pass as something that was genetic during birth. So I used those traits as a way to describe that he is essentially half living, half dead due to his circumstance.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd go with the "nearly white" eyes rather than calling them blue because it's a more unusual and otherworldly descriptor. Even a pale, glassy green, which isn't really a possible eye color for someone with albinism due to the genetic combination required. Your guy's Irish, and he doesn't have actual albinism, so it's possible that his eyes are iridescent green instead.

When I did this, the way I worked around it was to have a parasite that blocked a person's melanin production, which in essence mimics albinism without the person having the condition or being born somehow "special."

My question for you would be: "How did he appear at birth?" If he was in the open air before his mother died, but still attached to the umbilical cord, was he born with a common skin tone? Did his skin turn colors after his mother died? If so, then why did no one present for the birth (i.e. doctors/nurses/midwife) notice?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
She's the wife of a King, so I think that she would. That part is still going to be worked out in later drafts because my MC's father is the King of the Otherworld/Ireland so I would assume that he had access to treasures that he could've used to garner a significant amount of U.S. currency or some sort of old money in that sense.

But in case I don't go that route, are there other places in Boston that Irish immigrants tend to go to that isn't so much high priced real estate and more for a "just starting out" sort of place?

No one with money (in general) would choose South Boston.

Oh! Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I didn't realize that.

Allow me to describe the character and maybe you can help me with it?

This character has white hair and either those blue eyes or nearly white eyes, I haven't decided yet due to his character. His mother died during childbirth and he was still attached to the umbilical cord when she passed, but he was born before anything drastic could happen to him. I'm using the varying myths of banshees in order to give him this back story. He doesn't have anything significantly wrong with him in this sense, but he does have the ability to predict death, such as what a banshee does in myth. However, in the beginning of the story, he has to hide what he really is due to the MC's lack of knowledge of this world's existence, so he and his father had to make up something in order for it to pass as something that was genetic during birth. So I used those traits as a way to describe that he is essentially half living, half dead due to his circumstance.

Ok, so I skimmed the thread and also presumed you were describing a character with albinism. Seconding Cyia with being very careful describing someone who sounds like they have albinism as 'half dead,' heh. Some people with albinism have very light irises - like light greyish.

tabathabell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tabathabell.com
My question for you would be: "How did he appear at birth?" If he was in the open air before his mother died, but still attached to the umbilical cord, was he born with a common skin tone? Did his skin turn colors after his mother died? If so, then why did no one present for the birth (i.e. doctors/nurses/midwife) notice?

That's something I hadn't considered. I almost kind of viewed that as unnecessary info dump but now that it's in perspective, I think it might be necessary. If the mother was already dead and he was already kind of out in the open, it wouldn't make sense for him to already look like that when he came out if she wasn't dead before. So it would almost be like he would have to slowly develop those traits within the first few hours, almost like a presence has taken hold of him. But his family was from Ireland and I have tinkered with the possibility of him being born in a Druid temple where it wouldn't throw off a bunch of human doctors. Thoughts on that by chance?

No one with money (in general) would choose South Boston.

Okay. I'm still not sure in this predicament where someone like my MC's mother might go. She's trying to escape a magical force that is essentially attempting to kill her daughter (the MC) so she decided to flee to an expansive city in the United States where she could easily blend in and also be with people who she would feel she could trust. Is there a direction you may point me into? Because I'm not entirely sure if she would use the money that her husband had possibly given her or go into hiding and used as little money as possible. I have it described as she does work an off-hours job, too. I'm not sure if you could guide me in the right direction for geographics.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't describe Boston as expansive, personally; it's a fairly small city, imo -- my perspective may be skewed, but it's <1 million people I believe.

Expansive city to blend in and escape would be NY, maybe Chicago, if you ask me. Maybe LA but it's so sprawly you don't get the really concentrated populous in a contained area.