A thread for positive things you've observed or enjoyed despite the current US fiasco.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly enjoying Al Franken on Colbert tonight. He mentioned the bipartisan things that were being accomplished in the Senate. And the jokes are superb.

Earlier today McConnell actually said, the Democrats were not at fault for the failure of the ACA repeal, the Republicans were.

The votes in both the Senate and the House to sanction Russia despite Trump's recalcitrance were almost unanimous.

So I'm imagining the Trump fiasco so blatantly emphasizes the partisanship that it finally breaks the stalemate as the right and left unite against the insanity.

A girl can dream.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
What gives me hope is the sustained and concerted resistance on so many levels. People calling their representatives, making placards, marching, writing and signing petitions, fighting back.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things Franken noted was that the credit for defeating the repeal goes to all the people who attended the town halls and protested against repealing the ACA.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Unrelated to politics. EA will unveil Battlefield 1 in less than a month. Touted as historically accurate, the latest version of the franchise sports stunning graphics and all-inclusive avatar options. In multiplayer mode, players will be able to select their side, gender and race. It will be interesting to play a black female Nazi for one.

-cb

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Unrelated to politics. EA will unveil Battlefield 1 in less than a month. Touted as historically accurate, the latest version of the franchise sports stunning graphics and all-inclusive avatar options. In multiplayer mode, players will be able to select their side, gender and race. It will be interesting to play a black female Nazi for one.

-cb

Do you mean Activision will unveil Call of Duty WW2? Battlefield 1 came out last October. (and was also set in WW1, so no Nazis, black and female or otherwise). :)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean Activision will unveil Call of Duty WW2? Battlefield 1 came out last October. (and was also set in WW1, so no Nazis, black and female or otherwise). :)
Damn. You are right. I played both for so long I had them confused.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
people actually reading and listening to the news, knowing the names of journalists--s6

What gives me hope is the sustained and concerted resistance on so many levels. People calling their representatives, making placards, marching, writing and signing petitions, fighting back.

These. I, and many of the people I know, are better informed and more active than I have been in 25 years. I'm doing all of those "should" things: writing my elected officials, showing up at town halls, and waving a sign now and then. I am blessed to work a 10-minute walk from the Capitol, the Supreme Court, and White House. Being on the ground here for the protests, the speeches by senators on the steps of the Capitol, and the energy of resistance confirms for me that America as a whole is one the right side of history. Love will win this. Love is winning this. Hate will fail. Hate is failing.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for standing in for those citizens who cannot be there, Chris.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I actually enjoy the fact theat my Beloved Hubby, a disabled veteran of Desert Shield/Desert Storm is now actually getting help for his injuries acquired in Irak.
I also quite enjoy watching the utter disaster that is happening in the Democratic party (which I privately have renamed the Dementocratic Party).
I enjoy that my neighbor has found a job.

What I do not enjoy is the fact that the persecution of President Trump seems to have become some kind of new National Sport.
I also do not enjoy that all of Congress seems to be more occupied in seeking TV-time complaining about the President than trying to do the bidding of their constituants who put them in office.
I also do not enjoy the effort from people who are trying to get rid of, not only the first, but also the second and fourth amendments to the constitution. Maybe even more that I am not educated enough to know about.

I don't know about you, but I actually believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. I did with the previous President, even though I cried a flood of disappointment when he got elected, and then, re-elected. I sincerely hoped that he would prove himself, and in some aspects he actually did.

So please, enough with the vitriol already. Let's all hope that, given time, this President will not mess up more than his predecessors. Because, let's face it, they all do, somehow, no matter where you watch them from.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
shakeysix,
Don't you think that it is even more important that people are finally learning the names of their representatives, both in the House and the Senate?

Last edited:

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score

Agree. I've signed some petitions and will continue volunteering in my community.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad my father passed away long before he saw a U.S. president afraid to condemn people marching in the street waving the swastika that my father and his friends fought against.

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy it being a lot easier to identify who I'd rather not spend time with.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks partly to the OTT stuff going on, and partly to the increased media coverage round the world, people everywhere are more informed and more aware. And they're saying "hey, that's some rotten crap goin' on over there. If it's happening there, it could happen here -- let's put the brakes on it now." I think it's influencing actions, elections, investments, and everything else, across the spectrum.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad my father passed away long before he saw a U.S. president afraid to condemn people marching in the street waving the swastika that my father and his friends fought against.
Sharing the sentiment: glad that my Polish-born mother passed away years before the swastika was waved freely on American streets. American troops saved her after WWII. She would be horrified.
I am kinda surprised that the VFWs, or other veteran's groups haven't objected. They were the 'Greatest Generation', and it's their sacrifices that are being mocked by the very presence of that flag.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and something actually positive, and non-political: British Columbia is having one of the worst summers for wildfires, thousands of firefighters are working on blazes across the province including those fromthe U.S., Mexico, New Zealand and Australia! Thank you for all the international help, especially those who came from so far across the sea! It's good to have friends.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I actually enjoy the fact theat my Beloved Hubby, a disabled veteran of Desert Shield/Desert Storm is now actually getting help for his injuries acquired in Irak.
I also quite enjoy watching the utter disaster that is happening in the Democratic party (which I privately have renamed the Dementocratic Party).
I enjoy that my neighbor has found a job.

What I do not enjoy is the fact that the persecution of President Trump seems to have become some kind of new National Sport.
I also do not enjoy that all of Congress seems to be more occupied in seeking TV-time complaining about the President than trying to do the bidding of their constituants who put them in office.
I also do not enjoy the effort from people who are trying to get rid of, not only the first, but also the second and fourth amendments to the constitution. Maybe even more that I am not educated enough to know about.

I don't know about you, but I actually believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. I did with the previous President, even though I cried a flood of disappointment when he got elected, and then, re-elected. I sincerely hoped that he would prove himself, and in some aspects he actually did.

So please, enough with the vitriol already. Let's all hope that, given time, this President will not mess up more than his predecessors. Because, let's face it, they all do, somehow, no matter where you watch them from.

Your guy just said that Neonazis include "some very fine people." I think all decent people just stopped giving him a chance.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score

I thought of how glad I am that my granny isn't living through this b.s. It would be very unfair to our elders that endured so much.